Sunday, August 23, 2026

Songs 2012 February Album Writing Month Max Vanremmerden FAWMAX @max FAWM.ORG

 

FAWMAX 2012 FAWM FEBRUARY ALBUM WRITING MONTH

MAX VANREMMERDEN (@max) 


progress: 18  winner!
joined: January 11 2006
location: Netherlands
website: home.tiscali.nl/studio273
influences: Jonathan Richman Joe Strummer Billy Bragg Evan Dando Ryan Adams Tom Morgan Richard Thompson Vic Chesnutt Ben Kweller Ben Lee Grant McLennan Nick Drake Gram Parsons Steve Forbert Loudon Wainwright III Luka Bloom Richard Hell Ben Deily John Lydon Ian Dury Darren Hanlon Ani Difranco Mike Ness Colin Newman Bob Dylan Howe Gelb Josh Ritter Jesse Malin Johnny Thunders Damien Rice Iggy Pop Neil Young Bert Jansch Jason Merritt Jeff Tweedy Kevin Devine Lou Reed Siouxsie Freedy Johnston Tom Waits Ron Sexsmith Mark Lanegan Shane MacGowan Christy Moore Elvis Costello Tim Rogers Lucky Fonz III Case Mayfield Television Personalities Au Pairs Wire Lemonheads Clash Dickies Go Betweens Young Marble Giants Buzzcocks Calexico Giant Sand Joy Division Ramones New York Dolls Only Ones Velvet Underground gIVEgOOds Timesbold Willard Grant Conspiracy Sneeze Cure Brute Jesus and Marychain Smudge Rancid NOFX Slackers Gadjits Sex Pistols Devo Vandals Television Wilco Stiff Little Fingers Boegies Two Gallants Avett Brothers The Head and the Heart Amsterdam Songwriters Guild FAWMers

Bio

● CHECKED OUT MARCH 21ST●
See you again at FAWM2013. Thanks for listening.

❶ 2012 = 7th FAWMyear. Self-taught songsmith / DIY home recorder.
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
Podsafe tunes. Some rights reserved.

❷ Thanks for listening.
Free Download: The FAWM2012 EP:
http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/album/cut-drilled-and-cornered

❸ Any and all feedback welcome.

Videos from the FAWMsterdam Fawm Over Party 2012
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDDCCF0459B558BDC

2012 Songs

1 She's Right Again96 comments // 4 months ago
2Haven't Been There14 comments // 4 months ago
3Keep the Giant Emergency Life Raft Inflated (with  marklberry)38 comments // 4 months ago
4Do You Dare?27 comments // 4 months ago
5Due To Weather Conditions22 comments // 4 months ago
6Expérience Tragique12 comments // 4 months ago
7Valentijntje18 comments // 3 months ago
8The Final Words10 comments // 3 months ago
9It Better Be Good35 comments // 3 months ago
10So Close (with thomasaram)17 comments // 3 months ago
11Humpy Bumpy Grumpy Slumpy6 comments // 3 months ago
12Dog's Messin' With A Skunk Again (with  duaneclancy)14 comments // 3 months ago
13He's Doing Swell Now22 comments // 3 months ago
14Popularity11 comments // 3 months ago
15I Wish I Could Give You A Hug6 comments // 3 months ago
16Modern Love Song (with  ofishell)6 comments // 3 months ago
17Got To Let It Go16 comments // 3 months ago
18 Cut, Drilled and Cornered16 comments // 3 months ago

 

MAX VANREMMERDEN / FAWM 2012 Archive

1. She's Right Again

2012-02-01 @ 06:00am
tags: banjo acoustic folk pop diy singer-songwriter

Thanks for listening !
Free download: http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/album/cut-drilled-and-cornered

Lyrics

IT HAPPENS MANY TIMES: I'M QUITE SURE, BELIEVE I'M RIGHT, OH YES I KNOW
NOW MAKE ME UNDERSTAND, CONVERT ME IF YOU CAN, TAKE IT SLOW
PROOF ME THAT I AM WRONG SO WE CAN MOVE ALONG AND GROW
LET'S GET TO THE POINT, CAUSE IF WE DON'T TRY AND GO ON IT'S STATUS QUO
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN

THAT EXPRESSION ON YOUR FACE, THE WAY YOU LOOK AT ME. IT SAYS A LOT
COME SHARE YOUR IDEAS AND LET US TRY TO UNTIE THIS LITTLE KNOT
PROOF ME I'M WRONG AND SHOW ME EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT
I'M LISTENING MY DEAR. I'M OPEN NOW GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT
OH SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN
YES, SHE'S RIGHT ONCE AGAIN

IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE A DEFEAT, NOT AT ALL. YOU SUCCEEDED TO CONVINCE ME
I'M GLAD YOU SHARED YOUR POINT OF VIEW, THERE'S NOTHING LEFT FOR ME THAN TO AGREE
OH SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN
OH YEAH SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN

WELL DISCUSSIONS LIKE THESE BRING US CLOSER TO EACH OTHER, I DON'T MIND
CAUSE IF WE DON'T TALK AND LISTEN A LOT OF THOUGHTS WILL STAY UNDEFINED
OH SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN
OH YEAH SHE'S RIGHT ONCE AGAIN

YOU PROVED ME I WAS WRONG, IT CLEARED THE SKY, IT MAKES ME FEEL FREE
COME HERE, GIVE ME A KISS AND LET ME MAKE YOU A CUP OF TEA.
OH SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN
OH YES SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN
OH SHE'S RIGHT AGAIN

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Dan Wallbank - 2012-02-01 @ 06:01am
    EDIT: Awww, you changed it. I shall listen when I get home. xD
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-01 @ 06:03am
    Song #1 !!! :D
  • AXL - 2012-02-01 @ 06:05am
    Song #1 of FAWM 2012. Congratulations. I like the uptempo thing. It has a lot of drive. And your vocals sound great as always. Very pop, in a good sense.
  • dave j bride - 2012-02-01 @ 06:09am
    Great song, solid upbeat music with lyrics that make you smile. Excellent vocals, nice job on the mix. Good way to start.
  • Dan Wallbank - 2012-02-01 @ 06:17am
    Argh, Max, you're always so good. (I'm cheating and sneaking a listen at work) I think we all know this feeling, as males who have upset their ladies. I love the tune, too!
  • Casee Wilson - 2012-02-01 @ 06:19am
    This is great, upbeat and strong, and wonderful vocals :)
  • sheilerk - 2012-02-01 @ 06:22am
    A cool upbeat relationship song wins the day, or night I should say. Congratulations on hitting the ground running :)
  • Nathan Schleicher - 2012-02-01 @ 06:25am
    Ok, this is creepy. If you check out the title of my first song you'll realize there's been a strange collective Jungian moment here. :) This is a really strong start, look forward to hearing more this month!
  • mike skliar - 2012-02-01 @ 06:35am
    great energy- clever lyric and great delivery... well done, and congrats on the first fawm 2012 song! banjo + drum machine + max= well done!
  • sapient - 2012-02-01 @ 06:36am
    What a great start to the month! Happy, bouncy goodness to set us off all on the road...
  • Dear John - 2012-02-01 @ 06:40am
    MAX, hero, great start!
  • Donna - 2012-02-01 @ 06:42am
    What a great vibe! Really like the lyric - it's simple, clever, and witty. A winning combination. ;) Well done on song #1, max. :)
  • Kevin Emmrich - 2012-02-01 @ 06:46am
    Dang, I am going to have to break out my banjo this FAWM. Well, well -- first song on the list. Congrats and it's a good one.
  • Jinx - 2012-02-01 @ 06:46am
    This one's lots of fun! Great instrumentals, I was bobbing my head to the beat right away.
  • Scott O. Clamp - 2012-02-01 @ 06:46am
    Love the driving rhythm throughout, and there's something wonderful about the way the piano pops in. And the story ends happily. Is that allowed? This is shaking my whole worldview. An excellent start and one of the more fun FAWM songs I can remember!
  • k anderson - 2012-02-01 @ 07:19am
    who doesn't love a banjo? i love when the instrumental drops out to help make 'oh she's right again' punchier.
  • Scott McBride - 2012-02-01 @ 07:24am
    Great song. Very catchy, very hummable. Love the banjo and piano touches. Really nice.
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-01 @ 07:34am
    Jesus, Max! How do you do it? I love this song!
  • thomasaram - 2012-02-01 @ 08:34am
    that's quick,... catchy song and it's well played even though you finished it so quickly.
  • Calum Carlyle - 2012-02-01 @ 08:59am
    great stuff, very bouncy. keep it up, and i hope you have a good fawm.
  • Psy-T - 2012-02-01 @ 09:03am
    Great start to our happy new FAWM. :)
  • Steffan Pitzel - 2012-02-01 @ 09:14am
    Bumping awesome! AND it's song #1. Ya jerk. :p
  • Errol - 2012-02-01 @ 09:29am
    FAWM Video Comment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpoVCTmfHSU
  • DaddySchu - 2012-02-01 @ 09:31am
    THANK YOU for making #1 a fun & upbeat tune! You have set the stage sir--- and quite well!
  • ChrisHenSongs - 2012-02-01 @ 09:44am
    Love the crushed drum sound against the strings. Reminds me of Danny Barnes. FAWMtastic!
  • marklberry - 2012-02-01 @ 10:23am
    Max, you are off to an awesome start. Kudos!
  • jonniegrunge - 2012-02-01 @ 10:37am
    Wow. Great opening track. I love the bouncy feel to the music. You vocals are great. I want to sing and play along with this one. Looking forward to hearing more!
  • orinoco - 2012-02-01 @ 10:59am
    Great work! An impressive production considering how early you got it up. Like the addition of the piano. The stops under 'once again' sound very Beatlesy. Liked it a lot.
  • http://fawm.org/myfawm/settings/groundhog591 - 2012-02-01 @ 11:19am
    This is really good. A very upbeat song and a great way to start of FAWM. I like the production of this song. Really enjoyed it.
  • G Slade - 2012-02-01 @ 11:24am
    nice production man
  • Joshua Schramm - 2012-02-01 @ 11:47am
    Great one Max, I like how the verse melody changes on "Prove me I am wrong."
  • Ken Ficara - 2012-02-01 @ 12:30pm
    Go banjo! Love the groove on this. You have such a hand with a good hook.
  • 'Old Foot Dupree' (Danielle) - 2012-02-01 @ 12:49pm
    :) good song. makes me want to dance!
  • arthurrossi - 2012-02-01 @ 01:13pm
    Me, too, all I can do is to join these comments, great track! I love the melody, brilliant lyrics, wonderful vocal, making me think of much warmer sites now during these cold winter days... Once again, hats off, you have really created here something that is simply wonderful!
  • Jesse - 2012-02-01 @ 01:29pm
    This is really catchy and fun. Great melody. I don't know if you've ever listened to any M. Ward but both your melody and delivery on this remind me a lot of some of his stuff.
  • matthewmmallory - 2012-02-01 @ 01:40pm
    This a great song. It really gets my body moving.
  • nightengale - 2012-02-01 @ 01:50pm
    This is awesome, the whole nine yards! , lyric, music, vox, delivery!! Love it!
  • Daniel Jacob - 2012-02-01 @ 04:02pm
    Brilliant from start to finish! I agree with everyone else in that the delivery is killer. I loved it from the first bar.
  • Tally Deushane (live2tivo) - 2012-02-01 @ 04:18pm
    First song of FAWM starts it off right! Love it.
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-02-01 @ 04:18pm
    Hats off to Max! Good song, especially like the couplet sung slow at the end of each frenetically stated verse. BTW Max, I know how to get the _last_ song on FAWM but I'm damned if I can work out your secret to getting the opener!!! Never mind :D
  • Danalyze - 2012-02-01 @ 06:40pm
    hihaaaaaaaaaa yeahh!
  • Alayna the Alto - 2012-02-01 @ 08:23pm
    I've always loved your songs. This one is so fun, but also has so much truth to it. I love it! I gotta show this to my friend who'll get a kick out of it. Great work! :D
  • Lluis - 2012-02-01 @ 09:04pm
    Good to see you're still around and making fun fun fun fun songs
  • toms - 2012-02-01 @ 09:15pm
    max, this is great.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-02 @ 06:43am
    wow, quite overwhelming to see so many reactions on this one. Reading these comments really charges my FAWM battery to 200% Thank you, on to the next one ....
  • lutewhine - 2012-02-02 @ 06:53am
    Max and banjo = YES That's a great song, sir.
  • mattblick - 2012-02-02 @ 06:53am
    Really strong melody and sunny groove. The half time section is perfect.
  • wander - 2012-02-02 @ 01:00pm
    Great atmosphere. How do you write them so fast?
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2012-02-02 @ 06:13pm
    Your vocals on this sound really fresh. "Here we go again" has that great effect that music sometimes creates: A wonderful tension in my soul. Max, back with a vengeance!
  • Michael Epic - 2012-02-02 @ 07:16pm
    I've listened to this 3 times in a row. I pointed my browser to merriam-webster and looked up "amazing" so I could find all the right words to describe this song. I found good things....I'd like to share them with you. Your song is totally surprising, simply astonishing, absolutely astounding and completely blindsiding. I hear it and smile because its a catchy, eye-opening and flabbergasting masterpiece of melody and flow. Its a seamlessly stunning audio euphoric jaw-dropping masterwork. I'm gonna go ahead and stop there because standing with my eyes wide open and my jaw on the floor with a dictionary in my hand is making me feel pretty stupid looking...lol anywho, great track :)
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-02-02 @ 07:41pm
    Wow...unexpected...and wonderful!
  • cyclerider - 2012-02-02 @ 10:33pm
    Unlike anything I've heard in a long time. Just a tremendous amount of energy and a feverish sensuality to it. Let me go see what else you've done. And I'm looking forward to hearing what you do next.
  • Juha Keranen - 2012-02-03 @ 05:11am
    Hey, thanks for the comment! :) I put the jukebox playing this morning and this song came first. Me and my girlfriend both enjoyed it very much. Awesome work! :)
  • lieke - 2012-02-03 @ 05:48am
    What a song! This is great and moving and catchy! Can't sit still... Thank you for FAWMing, Max!
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-03 @ 08:15am
    Wonderful - big smile on my face while listening. I am always skeptical when I hear a banjo is involved in a song, but it's fantastic here. Your vocals add to the natural momentum of the song, and you have such a powerful and distinctive voice. Great first song Max, and it's great to be listening to you again!
  • tonyatyner - 2012-02-03 @ 08:38am
    super upbeat, catchy, good movie song
  • musicsongwriter - 2012-02-04 @ 01:55pm
    Fantastic song and demo. Very catchy, cool and upbeat. Like it a lot :)
  • kidd - 2012-02-04 @ 05:39pm
    Yeah! this is ace! Gotta love the stomp!
  • ctrl+z ctrl+z - 2012-02-04 @ 11:11pm
    what everyone said below... This is really good Max. So upbeat, rollicking, and fun.
  • madthesinger - 2012-02-05 @ 12:54pm
    This is amazing! Keep it up man. I can hardly keep from dancing right now! (:
  • Schnowd (Pronounced Sch-noy-d) - 2012-02-05 @ 04:18pm
    Nice moving beat. Vocals are a perfect fit. I started playing banjo a little over a year ago and love any kind of banjo tune. Well done.
  • dftaylor - 2012-02-05 @ 05:05pm
    The sound of this song is so brilliant. It reminds me of the Go-betweens and that sort of slightly whimsical, but dark vibe they conjured at their best. And of course, your songwriting is always fantastic
  • Shay - 2012-02-05 @ 06:00pm
    What a catchy tune you have here Max. From the creative lyrics, to your delivery & ...banjo too? Ahh yeah! My 6 yr old is dancing around the room here - she's not easy to please with an 'unfamiliar' tune. GREAT song : )
  • James Young - 2012-02-06 @ 04:33am
    This is great.
  • Calum Carlyle - 2012-02-06 @ 04:39am
    this is so inyerface! but it's so upbeat that it still feels friendly. i like the space in the "here we go again/she's right again" sections, it makes that stand out. I also like that nice syncopated piano thing, though it's quieter in the mix, it really adds richness. i almost wanted one of the verses to be a "middle 8" section though, with different melody and all that.
  • Mannyc53 - 2012-02-06 @ 05:07pm
    Nice Job Max
  • bmullany - 2012-02-06 @ 10:52pm
    I like the way you don't totally identify what she's right about. The listener is forced to join the discussion and listen acttively. I choose god for discussion - no one seems right. I expected sertous minor chords but it really does make little kids jump round . Charmingly schizofrenic By the way I quit guitar - I've got Parkinson's left hand tremors - Thus strange deliveries like a capella
  • Victoria Vox - 2012-02-07 @ 12:11am
    nice one!!! love how the 3rd line differs... and then goes back to your cool phrasing like in lines 1 and 2. ;) you are following the RULE of 2 quite well! ;) also... thanks for your nice comment ;) xo
  • Lee - 2012-02-07 @ 07:26am
    Really enjoyed listening to this one. Great Job Max, I see why it's an artists favorite.
  • Sundog - 2012-02-07 @ 09:42am
    nice song. upbeat and catchy
  • nadia thomas - 2012-02-07 @ 09:52am
    holy moly, i'm in love with this tune...and insanely jealous of your 70+ comments! --it's with good reason though because you've got a winner with this track! well done!
  • bradbrubaker - 2012-02-07 @ 10:07am
    Of course I like the banjo. Who wouldn't? The tambourine and sound of the snare really pull it all together well.
  • timmyriordan - 2012-02-07 @ 11:21am
    Again, wow. Upbeat neo-americana-pop. Like Wilco meets TMBG? Fun!
  • bmkaye72 - 2012-02-07 @ 04:19pm
    How much I love this song! I love the bango in it. Really good.
  • Billy Sea - 2012-02-07 @ 08:35pm
    It's wonderful, I love it, I've downloaded it.
  • Jeff and Suzanne - 2012-02-08 @ 02:27am
    Excellent! Nice tight lyrics, love the banjo...I.m grooving right along with this. I'm happy I clicked on this to listen to!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-08 @ 03:04am
    Thank you guys for listening and your amazing comments. I'm so happy with this one. Last night I performed this song live for the first time. The crowd loved it, so I guess it's a keeper. I know it's a keeper! :)
  • Lomedae - 2012-02-08 @ 09:51am
    Geweldige song max, wow! The kind of song you an play and sets the mood for quite some time after. A good mood in this case fortunately :-) I'll be sure ty listen to this lots of times in the future.
  • Adam Follett - 2012-02-08 @ 11:51am
    Good work, like the stompy feel to this one and the vocal melody is great - kind of reminds me of Broken Social Scene in a weird way
  • squirt - 2012-02-08 @ 12:29pm
    I do like a good banjo! Good work, and glad you performed it live too. Go FAWM!
  • Gonzo Sombrero - 2012-02-09 @ 03:50pm
    It goes forward like a train with a smile :) You've got a great voice and the banjo kicks ass. If anything I would add a c-part somewhere. The change in a drum pattern in the end is really good.
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2012-02-10 @ 11:43am
    Man, I just keep coming back to this one...! Absolutely a keeper.
  • ange - 2012-02-11 @ 03:42am
    Oh, i just love it when you go to check out someone's music who has commented on your music and your all unsure as to what you're gonna get and worried you'll have to comment on something that you find doesn't suit you ears (we've all been there right?) and then.... GET BLOWN AWAY :) I love this, such a warm, fun sound, almost got a little bit of a 'Blur' sound going on, bursting with personality. love it :)
  • jamkar - 2012-02-13 @ 09:11am
    Getting here late, but now I see what the excitement is about. Nicely done Max. Your voice and banjo makes it for me, and the lyrics are catchy. A unique sound you have here my friend!
  • Terrill Thompson - 2012-02-15 @ 08:18am
    I have to add my voice to those saying - This song is great!!! One of my favorite songs anywhere - not just FAWM. I could listen to this again and again, and probably will.
  • keithwiseman - 2012-02-22 @ 09:13am
    Brilliant man.... sounds so fresh.... loved it!!!
  • looprication - 2012-02-25 @ 09:34pm
    Totally sweet and honest song here, it just goes to prove that the best songs are the ones that come from the heart, and it shows in this one. Just remember, happy wife, happy life ;)
  • ofishell - 2012-02-26 @ 01:36pm
    Ik hou vaan deze lied!
  • dawnsoap - 2012-02-27 @ 10:35am
    This is amazing! I love the vocals, and the beat and feel of it all. Amazing!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-03-01 @ 04:52am
    THANKS FOR LISTENING !!!
  • Dragondreams - 2012-03-04 @ 04:00am
    I can see that this would be a great live track! Has a wonderful driving feel to it, and an "airy" sound. I'm loving that banjo! :)
  • pifie - 2012-03-06 @ 09:11am
    This is the song girlfriends love all over the world :P
  • darcistrutt - 2012-03-15 @ 09:53pm
    You have a great complete sound...lots of fun instrumentation. I enjoedy the stray bits of harmony and doubled vocals in there too! Plus I love a happy ending. :-)

2. Haven't Been There

2012-02-01 @ 06:53pm
tags: piano guitar brushes dark diy pop singer-songwriter

Need more space inbetween mic and pop screen on recording the next one.
Sorry for the B's & P's folks. I also should hold my head still singing into a stereo mic. Oh well ...next!

Lyrics

I'M NOT THE ONE TO TELL YOU
I'M NOT THE ONE TO TELL YOU
I'M NOT THE ONE TO TELL YOU
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF

NO I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE
NO I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE
NO I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF

CAN'T GIVE YOU ANY ADVICE
CAN'T GIVE YOU ANY ADVICE
CAN'T GIVE YOU ANY ADVICE
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU
SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU
SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF

I'M NOT THE ONE TO TELL YOU
I'M NOT THE ONE TO TELL YOU
I'M NOT THE ONE TO TELL YOU
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF

SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU
SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU
SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF
HAVEN'T BEEN THERE, HAVEN'T BEEN THERE MYSELF

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-02-01 @ 06:58pm
    like the swing/shuffle backing, swinging down the road. Goes well with the country hoarse deep voice. Hypnotic, Max. [edit: danm tihs dyslexic arthritis]
  • sailaway - 2012-02-01 @ 06:58pm
    Whoa... The deep vocals make the song really intense. Kind of Johnny Cash-ish. Very cool.
  • 'Old Foot Dupree' (Danielle) - 2012-02-01 @ 07:54pm
    Definitely Johnny Cash-ish, I agree :) Really good vibe.
  • AXL - 2012-02-02 @ 06:25am
    the arrangement is sparse but slick. Your vocals sound completely different (again!), which I find amazing. As for the lyrics, I would love to at least get a hint at what it might be you're not going to tell this other person about. Oh, and since you always ask: you misspelled "advice" :-)
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-02 @ 06:30am
    Thanks @axl. Much appreciated.
  • explodingmary - 2012-02-02 @ 09:06am
    making the point pointedly! yeah, what axl said about the arrangement; nice brushwork, too. there's a touch of what Lou Reed sometimes achieves here. can't put it any clearer now. i for one enjoy the mystery. it's all up in the air, yes?
  • cyclerider - 2012-02-02 @ 10:40pm
    I think this is just sensational! I've been thinking more lately of the guitar as a percussion instrument and here you use that idea to great effect. The minimalist picking is wonderful. The vocal is haunting and powerful, but I think it needs to have some balance, instrument or voice, at the higher end. But this may be exactly the dark effect that you want.
  • lieke - 2012-02-03 @ 05:51am
    What a nice guitar picking. Really inspiring. I get a very Western feeling with this song, nice job.
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-03 @ 08:19am
    Yeah, the sultry guitar grabbed me right away, even before the lyrics began. The lyrics are hilarious - I really like that you never give the listener context, all we know is that you "haven't been there." Sparse but effective arrangement Max!
  • Ken Ficara - 2012-02-03 @ 11:43am
    the guitar line is great and I love the way the piano comes in. and the lyrics are effectively simple and vague. don't need to know where "there" is. oh and the break is great, with that simper three-note piano thing.
  • marklberry - 2012-02-04 @ 12:58am
    This song just sucks me in. It would make an awesome tune for the show Sons of Anarchy. Send it to them, seriously. Cheers! marklberry
  • Dirk Bag - 2012-02-04 @ 08:02am
    Lovely stuff Max. Really like the groove and the vox reminds me of Mark Lannegan (which is a very good thing). The lyrics are good in an understated sort of a way. Very nice.
  • wobbiewobbit - 2012-02-08 @ 12:55pm
    wow lovely. love your sound. love the simple "non"song lyrics. kinda nothing.. in spades
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2012-02-10 @ 11:53am
    After listening to "She's Right Again"--which has a more upbeat feel--it's interesting to turn around and hear this one; something a lot darker and menacing. Yeah, this would make a nice second song in the context of the album!

3. Keep the Giant Emergency Life Raft Inflated

2012-02-01 @ 11:46pm
tags: crisis-rock collabs banjo

Let's see who is paying attention this year. Who is interested in this song collaboration? Who has music for this? This is a vignette about learning to breathe to cope with anxiety and grief, juxtaposed against a plane crash and erecting the life raft in the water.

Possibly a song for @Devin ? (Devin, we'll try something later this month. Thanks for the inspiration for this though.)

@Max! You nailed this. I love what you've recorded. Awesome to work with you this year. I've listened to this six times over breakfast already, and I'm about to hit PLAY again.

Max: @Mark , it was so much fun to work with those lyrics. I'm glad you like it. After the recording I listened twice before I had to rush to work. Can´t wait to listen to what I did later tonight, hehe.

Lyrics

(opening verse)
I heard the overhead announcement
In my head
Prepare for a ditching out at sea
In my head
I thought that I could save her
In my head
She would always be with me

Now In my head
The flight attendants yelled
In my head
"Open seatbelts, come this way"
In my head
I couldn’t leave without her
'cause In my head
The last I saw her was that day

(chorus)
I see a giant yellow life raft
In the crisis of my dreams
No matter how hard I tried to pump it
The more pointless that it seems

(verse 2)
In my head
The giant yellow raft was leaking
In my head
Water was spilling over the side
Oh In my head
The captain handed me a hand pump
In my head
I couldn’t accept that she had died

(instrumental)
(spoken through a megaphone) Keep the giant emergency life raft inflated
Keep the giant emergency life raft inflated

In therapy
The hand pump was my breathing
In reality
It did more than keep me alive
In therapy
My breathing was my reminder
In reality
She would have wanted me to survive

(instrumental)
(spoken through a megaphone) Keep the giant emergency life raft inflated
Keep the giant emergency life raft inflated, please
Keep the giant emergency life raft inflated

(verse 3)
In the sea
There was no water landing
In the paper
The plane exploded in the air
In my head
I dream that I was with her
In the real world
She was never really there

(final chorus)
I see a giant yellow life raft
In the crisis of my dreams
No matter how hard I tried to pump it
The more pointless that it seems

Lyrics: Copyright©2012 by Mark L. Berry
Music: Some rights reserved.
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • gerrybhoy - 2012-02-02 @ 02:41am
    Great piece of writing.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-02 @ 05:08am
    Working on it Mark..... it's half spoken word/ half singing tho. Need to put some more vocals on it. Please mark it as reserved for Max. Sorry Devin :( :) If you add me as collaborator I can provide the link later.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-02 @ 06:10am
    Thank you for a full morning recording, mixing & mastering. Need to go to work now, working the evening shift. I hope you like it. (edit) link
  • Simon Ashby - 2012-02-02 @ 11:05am
    Great song. Really good collab, @Max you have brought this to life so beautifully.
  • Adam Hill - 2012-02-02 @ 11:17am
    Reading the lyrics, I never in a million years would have guessed a banjo would be involved. Listening to it, I think it's absolutely necessary. Well done, both of you!
  • songsville - 2012-02-02 @ 03:58pm
    This is totally great. I love those big yellow rafts. Excellent banjo work too!
  • Jesse - 2012-02-02 @ 05:32pm
    Really well done. All of the elements would seem strange on their own but when put together it's really awesome.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-02 @ 05:47pm
    Listening to what I did this morning 10 hours later( not being able to listen because of work), I have to admit I like what I did. :) Question @Mark do like to keep it locked for non- FAWMers , cause it can't be played in the jukebox when it's not public. I leave that up to you, whatever you prefer.
  • marklberry - 2012-02-02 @ 09:23pm
    @Max I didn't realize "only FAWMers" restricted it from the jukebox. I learn something new... I made it public. Still loving this song. I was up late yesterday working on the lyrics and my gf was bummed I couldn't sleep. I played your recording for her this evening and she was amazed.
  • ThetaU - 2012-02-02 @ 10:27pm
    Well Max, You whipped that up in short order. Like the federal reserve creating money out of thin air. How do you do it so fast. You got a time warp hidden in there some where?
  • ThetaU - 2012-02-02 @ 10:36pm
    @marklberry You definitely got a way with words that, sparks emotions, even terror in this case. That banjo and the hectic flow of the song works perfect. Obviously another home run.
  • devin - 2012-02-02 @ 10:40pm
    Finally got a chance to check this out...and Max did a great job with a great lyric. Fun misery you two!
  • wander - 2012-02-03 @ 02:38am
    Max, I really love the songtitle, you seriously have a creative brain...theres a lot of humour here, but also a bit of a dark side
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-03 @ 04:03am
    @ wander, thank you for listening. All credits on the title and words go to Mark L. Berry. It's a collaboration, two people working on one song. Mark provided the lyrics and was asking for a collab in the liner notes, I picked that up and made a track out of it.
  • lieke - 2012-02-03 @ 05:53am
    Love the megaphone! Great storytelling, and the banjo makes it so cheerful! great stuff!!
  • wander - 2012-02-03 @ 07:37am
    @max, ok as far as I heard your songs this text is not too far from your own lyrics; a great text and you really made it your own. I was quite intrigued when I heard the Max single by mr Mayfield too, but thats another story. Must be nice to have someone dedicate a song to you, and it has a great smiths/belle and sebastian-style cover pic of you.
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-03 @ 08:26am
    Great collab guys! Fun music overlaid on lyrics that are dark yet light at the same time. Really cool story idea Mark!
  • Ken Ficara - 2012-02-03 @ 09:01pm
    Max, what's with the banjo? You sound great but I don't remember you playing this much of it before. Great tune. I wouldn't have known the lyrics weren't yours.
  • John Crossman - 2012-02-04 @ 12:36am
    Wow, far out. Like others, reading the lyric, I was expecting something totally different. This almost has a cool sea shanty/drinking song vibe to it and the jaunty banjo and the megaphone interjections definitely give it a dream-like feel too. Fascinating. Really original take.
  • ofishell - 2012-02-04 @ 03:36pm
    Wow! I LOVE the juxtaposition between the lyrics and the music. I didn't know whether to hold my breath or dance. Well done to both of you!
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-04 @ 06:50pm
    FUN. Hard not to dance along!
  • dawnsoap - 2012-02-04 @ 08:41pm
    Great collab!!! Very fun to dance to. Absolutely loved the banjo, and the lyrics were wonderful.
  • cheekmeat industries - 2012-02-04 @ 10:56pm
    Hooray for banjo! Absolutely love the title, and can't stop bouncing my head along with the tune. So I guess I should cancel the order I placed for a life raft in my dreams, then...Noted :D
  • 'Old Foot Dupree' (Danielle) - 2012-02-04 @ 11:55pm
    I love it :) A wonderful bounce to it. Great instrumentation, delivery, effects, the works...and I'm a sucker for the banjo!
  • cts - 2012-02-05 @ 05:36am
    Absolutely not where I thought it was going to go, but I'm really glad where I ended up! :)
  • lonelyrobot - 2012-02-06 @ 05:11am
    Ace, really interesting song to listen to ... loved the megaphone touch :)
  • Tinkerbell - 2012-02-07 @ 12:02pm
    Well, I just love this. The melody, the lyrics, the delivery. Billy Bragg springs to mind. What a line: No matter how hard that I pump it, the more pointless that it seems.
  • bmullany - 2012-02-08 @ 07:33pm
    Great sound and instrumentation and the lyrics are awesome. Reminds me of Bright Eyes v video where peoploe party as their plane crashes into the sea
  • bmullany - 2012-02-08 @ 07:39pm
    At the Bottom of Everything by Bright Eyes - is song I referred to
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2012-02-10 @ 11:57am
    A perfect blend of everything. A really nice collaboration.
  • ange - 2012-02-11 @ 03:45am
    OOh, great sound, LOVE your lyrics in this one. x
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-02-12 @ 03:23pm
    Amazing how you two pulled this one together...both as a collab and with the 2 subjects. Well done
  • Candle - 2012-02-13 @ 09:50am
    LOL! This is great! See You In The Shadows…
  • musicsongwriter - 2012-02-14 @ 03:51am
    Fantastic collaboration guys! Your song rocks! I love the way Max took your lyric Mark. What fun to listen to your song!!!
  • tomhitt - 2012-02-21 @ 05:26pm
    Amusing and true - a gem. Nice work!
  • nightengale - 2012-02-25 @ 06:11pm
    Hey, this is too cool you too, sounds great!
  • Dragondreams - 2012-03-04 @ 04:05am
    Wow, guys. What an amazing contrast between quite a sad lyric and the hugely upbeat music. the music makes me want to jump around, but the words want to make me weep. Quite the stunner.
  • Nam June Robot - 2012-03-05 @ 05:03pm
    wow amazing collab!

4. Do You Dare?

2012-02-03 @ 11:11am
tags: fdt dance nightclub hard-dance open-air-festival diy

Friday Dance Track Challenge http://fawm.org/forums/thread/2943/
Guitar pick string scratching. The - I'll buy your CD if you buy mine / I'll listen to yours , if you listen to mine / I'll comment on yours, if you comment on mine - topics in the forums made me write these lyrics.

Thanks for listening ! Play it loud !

Lyrics

I'LL SHOW YOU MINE
IF YOU SHOW ME YOURS
NOW DO YOU DARE?

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Dennis Jernberg - 2012-02-03 @ 12:17pm
    Now that's the way to respond to your own challenge. Without a synth, even! Killer breakbeat, even. Rock guitar works well on this. I guess I'll have to take the challenge myself. Now to show everybody mine... ;)
  • thomasaram - 2012-02-03 @ 02:02pm
    fuck yeah, rock it! challenge accepted.
  • Calum Carlyle - 2012-02-03 @ 02:04pm
    funky! loved it from the word go. your vocals make this in my opinion (though obviously the "voodoo people" guitar feel kicks ass too)
  • sapient - 2012-02-03 @ 05:21pm
    *bounce* *bounce* *bounce* They're dancing in the cellars of Amsterdam tonight... ;)
  • Mannyc53 - 2012-02-03 @ 06:37pm
    How true!
  • Eric - 2012-02-03 @ 06:48pm
    This has an old school clubby sound to it for me; kind of like The Prodigy that @calumcarlyle alluded to. It's great. Those guys didn't mess around! This beat and the guitar demand dancing.
  • Valerie Cox - 2012-02-03 @ 08:05pm
    Heh. Heh. That's what I'm talking 'bout! That's got great drive to it. I like your vox. I think it's in the mix just right. I'm very impressed with that.
  • Ken Ficara - 2012-02-03 @ 10:02pm
    Nice -- "Why Don't We Do It In the Road" for the new decade. Great club sound.
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-03 @ 11:17pm
    The frantic guitar is wonderful. Thanks for showing me yours - I'm impressed! ;-)
  • plainwhitetoast - 2012-02-03 @ 11:43pm
    HAH! Very persistent. I usually get kicked in the nuts by around the 60 second mark. I enjoyed it. danced in my chair a bit, but I'm not showing you. Thanks for the challenge!
  • nadia thomas - 2012-02-04 @ 12:08am
    oh, man. so fun...i wish the hubs weren't already asleep because I WANT TO PLAY THIS LOUD!!!!! oh, and i really like your vocals.
  • marklberry - 2012-02-04 @ 01:01am
    Electric and eclectic.
  • 'Old Foot Dupree' (Danielle) - 2012-02-05 @ 12:01am
    Hahaha :) This is an instant classic. Feels like it has some of the humorous urgency of the 80's.
  • wander - 2012-02-05 @ 01:28pm
    Danielle and me listened this yesterday, she really loves it and I dig it too. You sound a bit like Jim Kerr of Simple Minds or Ian McCullough of Echo and the Bunnymen here...but in the end you're Max which is even better!
  • wander - 2012-02-05 @ 02:02pm
    ...
  • ultravioleteyejeff - 2012-02-05 @ 03:49pm
    Tit for tat. Quid pro quo. How do you say it in Dutch? I don't know.
  • dftaylor - 2012-02-05 @ 05:08pm
    More awesome sounds - Achtung Baby-era U2 this time.
  • Todd Norem - 2012-02-06 @ 11:43am
    I could totally here this in a club. Vocals sound great, and I love how the same line repeats over and over with music building and changing a bit in the background.
  • Sundog - 2012-02-07 @ 01:36pm
    totally funky
  • Taylor Tay - 2012-02-09 @ 07:08pm
    Achtung Baby era U2 is an accurate description, especially with your vocal - very Bono esque. Actually, the track is very Fatboy Slim as well. Don't need to comment or make any suggestions because this is exactly how it needs to be. I've found so much good music this FAWM, I can barely believe it myself! If I were a DJ I'd try and slip this in to my mix early on in the evening...
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2012-02-10 @ 04:14pm
    This is awesome...I had a big smile throughout. Rockin'!
  • mike skliar - 2012-02-12 @ 11:48am
    great idea, great production, great performance---- oh yeah! nice one!
  • the awkward sleep - 2012-02-17 @ 12:25pm
    ooh! this is rockin and dancy! great voice!
  • Donna - 2012-02-25 @ 04:20pm
    Max, you ARE naughty. :P If I weren't encumbered by my laptop at the moment, I'd be getting some moves on around the living room. ;)
  • sheilerk - 2012-02-26 @ 11:51am
    Yes, a great theme song indeed, lol!!
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-03-02 @ 06:58am
    Max! Restrain yourself! I had to finish what you started...:-/
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-03-16 @ 11:44am
    What a great production! Clever play on the forum topics. Love your voice on this one....and your playing is awesome

5. Due To Weather Conditions

2012-02-04 @ 02:19pm
tags: rocksteady ska piano guitar diy reggae

In this country, The Netherlands, all public transport stops when there's some snow like last night. A complete mess, with thousands of people stranded. I took a few breaks today from recording to do some ice skating behind our house. Nice sunny freezing day today in dutch winter wonderland.
Glad I got this one finished. It was one you start with and half way you think "nah".
The trompet somewhere in the background is a sample.

Thanks for listening !

Lyrics

SNOW IS BEING USED AS A LAME EXCUSE
ALL TRANSPORTATION STOPPED AT THIS STATION
NO THEY WON'T LET ME, WON'T LET ME SEE YOU TONIGHT

IT'S FREEZING COLD THERE'S ONLY ONE I'D LIKE TO HOLD
NOW GET ME OUT OF THIS ICE WORLD BRING ME TO MY GIRL
WHY WON'T YOU LET ME, WON'T YOU LET ME SEE HER TONIGHT

DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS
DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS

I PACE UP AND DOWN TO KEEP MY FEET WARM
TRY TO FIND A SHELTER TO HIDE FROM THIS STORM
WHY ARE THEY NOT PREPARED?
PLEASE HAVE THOSE TRACKS REPAIRED

TRAINS ARE RUNNING IN SIBERIA. PLAINS ARE LANDING IN ALASKA
BUT HERE EVERYTHING ENDS, THEY IMMEDIATELY SUSPEND
NO THEY WON'T LET ME, WON'T LET ME SEE YOU TONIGHT

I CAN'T TURN AROUND. GOT STUCK IN THIS CRAZY TOWN
THEY CAN'T GET THINGS RIGHT WHEN THE TRACKS HAVE TURNED WHITE
WHY WON'T YOU LET ME, WON'T YOU LET ME SEE HER TONIGHT

DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS
DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS

I PACE UP AND DOWN TO KEEP MY FEET WARM
TRY TO FIND A SHELTER TO HIDE FROM THIS STORM
JUST ONE TRAIN, ONE COACH, ONE SEAT
IT'S MY GIRL I'D LIKE TO SEE

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Eric - 2012-02-04 @ 02:24pm
    I wish we'd get some snow around here just so I could listen to this song at the Metro train station :) Has kind of a reggae beat to it that I really dig!
  • ofishell - 2012-02-04 @ 03:06pm
    A fantastic weather song, Max! Really like the beat and the tone of your voice!
  • thomasaram - 2012-02-04 @ 04:02pm
    haha, nice one, a reggaenesk (no pun intended) song about the freezing cold. Great catchphrase in the opening:)
  • wander - 2012-02-04 @ 04:06pm
    Maybe we should hack the NS (national railways) website so this song starts playing whenever people open it. First Max piano song for me; does this qualify as a ballad?
  • kidd - 2012-02-04 @ 05:36pm
    I love that it's a kind of reggae feel... usually associated with sunshine, and its a song about snow and freezing conditions... As a Scot, I know those conditions only too well!
  • marklberry - 2012-02-04 @ 06:02pm
    Max, Glad someone is having winter. 55 degrees F here in St. Louis, MO, USA (13 C). This song pulls right along. Well labeled at rocksteady. Bravo. Bravo. Cheers, marklberry
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-04 @ 06:54pm
    @marklberry 13c over there? We easily reach -13c over here! (Now THAT's freezing cold!) @max I think the song is a bit too 'slow' for me to really dig it. It's a fine song, but it doesn't make me want to listen to it again. Unlike your 1st song and your collab with mark.
  • Echo Voodoo - 2012-02-04 @ 07:04pm
    Always enjoy a ska/reggae vibe. Great lyrics, evokes some nice imagery for me. Love your strong, clear voice. Great job.
  • ctrl+z ctrl+z - 2012-02-04 @ 11:06pm
    well I for one am glad you didn't throw this in the discard bin.
  • orinoco - 2012-02-05 @ 05:46am
    Good to hear the Netherlands are just as useless with snow as we are in the UK - we always think it's just us and the rest of Europe knows what they're doing! Love that melody, it's got quite a 60s feel. Good work.
  • Sunspot Mike - 2012-02-05 @ 10:43pm
    Ha, great song. We're used to the snow in Wisconsin and we've been terribly lucky this year with hardly any snow at all! And 5 songs already, bravo!
  • wolf kier - 2012-02-06 @ 04:39am
    I love this one. Great fun. I'll be back again to listen to some more. Thanks again for the kind comments/compliments on my recent work. wolf.
  • Dear John - 2012-02-06 @ 05:06am
    Another great one Max! Great idea to put our current Dutch wheater conditions to music ;)
  • Ken Ficara - 2012-02-07 @ 09:57am
    Your weather is obviously very different from ours this year! But, great song.
  • hardenborg - 2012-02-07 @ 04:12pm
    great song! reminded me of Magnetic fields (sort of). we have the same problem in my country (sweden) too. luckily i can bike to work.
  • JRamoneWI - 2012-02-08 @ 05:59pm
    I always love your songs, dude. Keep it up! \m/
  • Susy Blue - 2012-02-08 @ 06:18pm
    great! like the ska beat on the keys n the saxes in the background. I get some reminders of 'they might be giants' and 'the smiths' which is a good thing for me! The track ends really suddenly though about half-way through your lyrics...?
  • rosieposy8 - 2012-02-08 @ 09:15pm
    as people have mentioned.. the uk is also crap with snow! Everything stops.. I hope our cold spell ends.. Like the ska feel to this, and the drums are very cool!!
  • ange - 2012-02-11 @ 03:50am
    Pop it in a bottle and sent it out to sea! Great sentiment and a cute delivery :)
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-02-12 @ 03:18pm
    Love the beat and rhyme structure....and a different way to relate to the weather. I really enjoy all your personas with your voice. Never know what I am getting :-)
  • toms - 2012-02-13 @ 02:58pm
    Huh. We've had no snow to speak of here, where we usually get enough to bury the eaves. Wanna trade? Great rocksteady tune, max!
  • dustymason - 2012-02-18 @ 06:36am
    Tropical rhythm...how inappropriate. HAHA I imagine you dancing Limbo under downed power lines to get to your love.

6. Expérience Tragique

2012-02-06 @ 08:25am
tags: new-wave guitar doom newwave diy postpunk historical history lesson

Hundred years ago, on the 4th of February 1912 Franz Reichelt jumped from the Eiffel Tower trying to convince some investors his parachute jacket would work. "There's no top without a mountain"
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/death-jump-eiffel-tower/query/franz+reichelt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Reichelt

Lyrics

DAWN OF AVIATION
FATAL DEMONSTRATION
TEMPERATURE BELOW ZERO
NO STEEPLEJACK HERO
SPONSORS INVITED
PRESS QUITE EXCITED
PREPARED FOR SAVE LANDING
WHILE FRANZ WAS STILL STANDING

LOOKING DOWN FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN FALLING DOWN

TAILOR BEING RECKLESS
FOOLISH JUMP IN PARIS
PARACHUTE UNIQUE
EXPERIENCE TRAGIQUE

LOOKING DOWN FALLING DOWN
FALLING DOWN FALLING DOWN
FALLING-------- DOWN------- HIT THE GROUND

AT THE FOOT OF THE TOWER
ON THE FROZEN SOIL
AT THE FOOT OF THE TOWER
ON THE FROZEN SOIL

POLICE MAINTAINING ORDER
CRYING SUPPORTERS
NO TRICKERY INVOLVED
THROUGH LOSING WE EVOLVE

SOME HIT THE GROUND SOME HIT THE GROUND
SOME HIT THE GROUND SOME HIT THE GROUND
SOME HIT THE GROUND SOME HIT THE GROUND
SOME HIT THE GROUND

AMONGST ALL BEGINNERS
ONLY A FEW WINNERS
NO TOP WITHOUT A MOUNTAIN
NO TOP WITHOUT A MOUNTAIN

SOME HIT THE GROUND
FALLING DOWN
WON'T BE FOUND
FALLING DOWN
FALLING-------- DOWN------- HIT THE GROUND

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • James Young - 2012-02-06 @ 09:17am
    Very Johnny Cash!
  • Matt Pierce - 2012-02-06 @ 10:20am
    Twisted (I like it) I wanted to say "Some hit the ground and bounce around"
  • wolf kier - 2012-02-06 @ 10:36am
    Really enjoyed this one as well.. Maybe a few more "crash" cymbals? :) I think this chorus will be stuck in my head all evening. wolf.
  • Johnny Cashpoint - 2012-02-06 @ 10:36am
    Good song! What a great subject matter too - so heavy with symbolism! I am afraid you have inspired me also to write about our foolish Tailor. I will sure to credit my inspiration!
  • mattblick - 2012-02-06 @ 10:57am
    Like the crazy guitar intro giving way to melody, nice historical ballad! As they say you don't need a parachute to jump - you need a parachute to jump twice
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-06 @ 04:37pm
    Jesus f****! That clip! Furthermore, sounds Bowie-ish to me.
  • wander - 2012-02-06 @ 05:03pm
    What a story, and I love your voice here Max. I hope poor old Franz learned from that mistake...
  • timmyriordan - 2012-02-07 @ 11:17am
    Wow. Crazy story. I'd kind of love to hear it with some classic Parisian type music--accordion and all. Sadly I don't have an accordion or I might give it a shot. The dark heavy music and objective description almost make it a very dry satire. Darwin Award from 1912.
  • Rick Amorphis - 2012-02-08 @ 12:22am
    Great song Max, love the way it sounds. Makes me think of Iggy!
  • Dear John - 2012-02-08 @ 06:17am
    Sick video! Amazing song! Haha Max keep up, you're fast :p
  • kidd - 2012-02-10 @ 09:07pm
    This sounds amazing! Iggy meets Joy Division. Great work man, that's some parachute!!
  • Nick Dickies - 2012-02-12 @ 06:08am
    Good baritone voice you got there! And that is a great story, I didn't know about it yet.

7. Valentijntje

2012-02-10 @ 05:46am
tags: valentines diy hip-hop dutch non-english nederhop ostinato rap cats valentine

Written from the perspective of the big tomcat that wanders around the house. The way it looks at our pussy cats is scary. It's a creepy big oversexed cat. I feel the need to protect my catgirls from this monster.

A few challenges are in this song: ostinato, valantines, out of the comfort zone genre, non English and made up words. The Dutch I used is not correct Dutch. For example, instead of saying "I'm the biggest tomcat of all tomcats" I say "I'm the tomcatiest". No use to try Google translator on this one. :)

Thanks for listening !

Lyrics

JIJ BENT DE SNOES-TE
IK DE STOUTSTE
VAN ALLE TROETELDIERTJES BEN JIJ DE SCHATTEBOUT-STE

IK BEN DE BINK-STE
JIJ DE MOOISTE
VAN ALLE MOPPIES OM ME HEEN BEN JIJ DE PROOI-STE

JIJ BENT DE STUK-STE
IK DE WOESTE
VAN WAT ER IN MIJN BUURT MIAUWT BEN JIJ DE POES-TE
JA JE BENT DE POES-TE

JIJ BENT DE VAMP-STE
IK DE GROOTSTE
VAN IEDER DIE ZICH MOOI VOELT BEN JIJ DE ALLER STOOT-STE

IK BEN DE BINK-STE
EN JIJ DE LIEFSTE
VAN ALLES BINNEN MIJN BEREIK BEN JIJ DE HARTENDIEF-STE

JIJ BENT DE SNOES-TE
IK DE STOUTSTE
VAN ALLE TROETELDIERTJES BEN JIJ DE SCHATTEBOUT-STE

IK BEN DE BINK-STE
JIJ DE MOOISTE
VAN ALLE MOPPIES OM ME HEEN BEN JIJ DE PROOI-STE

JIJ BENT DE STUK-STE
IK DE WOESTE
VAN WAT ER IN MIJN BUURT MIAUWT BEN JIJ DE POES-TE

JIJ BENT MIJN VALENTIJNTJE
MIJN SCHAT, MIJN VLAM, MIJN ZWIJNTJE
NEE ECHT IK MAAK GEEN GEINTJE
JIJ BENT MIJN VALENTIJNTJE

JIJ BENT DE VAMP-STE
IK DE GROOTSTE
VAN IEDER DIE ZICH MOOI VOELT BEN JIJ DE ALLER STOOT-STE

IK BEN DE BINK-STE
EN JIJ DE LIEFSTE
VAN ALLES BINNEN MIJN BEREIK BEN JIJ DE HARTENDIEF-STE

JIJ BENT MIJN VALENTIJNTJE
MIJN SCHAT, MIJN VLAM, MIJN ZWIJNTJE
NEE ECHT IK MAAK GEEN GEINTJE
JIJ BENT MIJN VALENTIJNTJE

VALENTIJNTJE
VALENTIJNTJE

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Maeflower - 2012-02-10 @ 07:25am
    With liner notes like that, I had to take a listen. Even with the language barrier, I have to say this is purrrrrfect. :) The section where your singing in octaves is very well done. And I'm glad to know a cat's meow transcends language issues. Max, your tunes are always awesome and this is no exception.
  • sapient - 2012-02-10 @ 10:01am
    Wowza! It's like a Dutch GSlade has just jumped out of my speakers! This is so cool :)
  • G Slade - 2012-02-10 @ 10:05am
    no clue what in the world you're saying but the whole thing sounds cool
  • Dorylini - 2012-02-10 @ 10:23am
    haha is the incorrect dutch equivalent to lolcat-style "i can has cheezburger" english?
  • evelbist - 2012-02-10 @ 11:49am
    i WANTED to stop listening because the words dont register. but i was startled by the clapping into staying with it. awesome
  • wolf kier - 2012-02-10 @ 06:47pm
    This is the tomcatiest! Good job, Max. Enjoyed very much. wolf.
  • kidd - 2012-02-10 @ 09:10pm
    I think so far this is my favourite track of yours.... I am a fan of melody and production, and the fact that I dont have a clue what you're singing about means im totally tuned in to the melody/production aspects. I love it. Really great sounds!
  • ange - 2012-02-11 @ 03:53am
    Your voice is very warm in this one, A great full sound and really easy listening. good stuffs :)
  • ofishell - 2012-02-11 @ 09:54am
    Jij bent de vamp-ste!!! I wish I had taken more than two semesters of Dutch in college (but every time I tried to speak to a Dutch speaker they always said, "Why are you bothering to learn Dutch??" It didn't exactly scream of national pride, but I digress...). Love the hand claps and the overall beat! I don't tend to trust cats, so now every time I see one wandering the streets, this song will be playing in my head.
  • wander - 2012-02-11 @ 09:55am
    Mooie beats Max...ga je een kattenasiel beginnen?!? (Ken je trouwens het nummer tommy the cat van primus?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OhIU-PmB8&ob=av2e
  • lieke - 2012-02-11 @ 11:19am
    OOOOOOO i really like cats prrrrrrrrrrrrrr WEll done Max! I wish it was mine.... Love the language! I tend to make my own words sometimes too, you know.
  • ChelseaSueAllen - 2012-02-11 @ 12:49pm
    This is SO great-- I looove the beat! And I don't mind that I don't understand the words haha-- it still gets the message across! Awesome
  • Chip Withrow - 2012-02-11 @ 08:18pm
    Yeah, we have cats wandering round here too - feral cats, can't be tamed. This rocks. Who cares if I don't know a word? Those percussion sounds, the bass synth, the music box melody, the hipster vocal, the whole package ... great, weird, funky fun.
  • Nick Dickies - 2012-02-12 @ 06:02am
    This could tell me this is a commercially released Nederhop single and I would have believed you! Perhaps it's a tad too long though...
  • brownium - 2012-02-14 @ 09:43pm
    Any chance you would make this song downloadable so I can put it on the podcast tomorrow? Or, if you don't want to make it generally available, you could send it to me, or upload it to the Fawmcast site on your own? (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fawm/2012/02/16/the-foreign-fawmer)
  • Benjamin Nolan - 2012-02-18 @ 10:28am
    The Dutch word for "treasure" would be "schat", wouldn't it. :p
  • wurzelfrau - 2012-02-19 @ 06:42am
    Thats so cute ;-)
  • katebirdrex - 2012-02-22 @ 01:47am
    This is so cool! I wish I knew what more of it meant. But I am definitely gonna start using "tomcattiest" in day-to-day conversation. That's some swagger!

8. The Final Words

2012-02-12 @ 05:02pm
tags: banjo punk songskirmish superskirmish12 12on12

songskirmish http://fawm.org/forums/thread/3181
:O done in an hour.

I need to get back to this one to re-record the main vocals, but this what it is now ............

I don't believe in Capital Punishment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Death_Penalty_World_Map.svg

Lyrics

HERE IS YOUR LAST MEAL
OH HERE IT IS
PRETTY SOON NOW
EVERYTHING WILL STOP
OH YEAH EVERYTHING WILL STOP

WE WILL RECORD YOUR STATEMENT
OH YES WE WILL
DON'T YOU CRY NOW
DON'T LET YOUR HEAD DROP
NO DON'T LET YOUR HEAD DROP

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK THE FINAL WORDS
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK THE FINAL WORDS
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK THE FINAL WORDS
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK THE FINAL WORDS

SEVEN MINUTES LATER
OH TELL US NOW
BETTER SAY SOMETHING
BEFORE WE PULL THAT KNOB
BEFORE WE PULL THAT KNOB

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK THE FINAL WORDS
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SPEAK THE FINAL WORDS

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Mannyc53 - 2012-02-12 @ 07:27pm
    Party On
  • DaddySchu - 2012-02-13 @ 03:07am
    Rockin" Punk anthem you have going here! Protest Punk!! Rockin it as only Max can do! Good job sir!
  • ThetaU - 2012-02-13 @ 08:29am
    I'm not even trying one of these one hour things. I couldn't even put out a terrible song that quickly. I always love a protest song, and of course this is a good one very good
  • The Golden Cold - 2012-02-13 @ 01:32pm
    Nice! I can imagine Woody Guthrie banging this out, for sure
  • wander - 2012-02-13 @ 02:02pm
    Just put the children to bed, time for some new Max rockin', always looking forward to your new songs. This one is a bit unconfortable as it sounds like a threat to the listener. No rapping or housing this time?
  • marklberry - 2012-02-14 @ 09:55am
    Hard core amigo. Love the energy. Cheers, marklberry
  • jonniegrunge - 2012-02-14 @ 12:23pm
    This is awesome. Banjo punk? Hell yes! You vocals really remind me of Mike Ness from Social Distortion here. Musically, this is huge fun. Nicely done!
  • Karan - 2012-02-15 @ 03:11pm
    Powerful. And you really made a point for a very, very important issue!
  • kimbeggs - 2012-02-16 @ 01:30pm
    good on you Max...
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2012-02-18 @ 08:55am
    Cool, great subject for a song!

9. It Better Be Good

2012-02-12 @ 06:51pm
tags: piano ska swing diy

WARNING!
When using headphones this recording could rupture your ear drum.

Thanks for listening !

Lyrics

IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

SHE THINKS I'M MISSING SOMETHING IF I DON'T LOOK
THERE MUST BE A REAL BIG FISH ON HER HOOK
I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT?
CALM DOWN NOW DON'T NEED TO SHOUT

IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

SHE USED A LOT OF SIGNS TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR
BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND NO I CAN'T HEAR
IT'S THESE WINDOWS WITH DOUBLE GLASS IN IT
ALRIGHT I'M COMING JUST A MINUTE

IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

SHE'S OVEREXCITED, SHE NEEDS TO SHARE
PLEASE STOP YELLING, I'M GETTING THERE
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

SHE'S OUTSIDE, SHE'S GOING WILD
PULLING FUNNY FACES
THROUGH THE WINDOW I CAN'T MAKE OUT
WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT

IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

SHE GOING NUTS JUMPING UP AND DOWN
HANDS IN HER HAIR AND TURNING AROUND
WONDER WHAT IT IS WHAT CAN IT BE
WHAT IS IT SHE WANTS ME TO SEE

IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

TAKE IT EASY NOW GIRL IT'S OKAY
LET ME GRAB MY COAT I AM ON MY WAY
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

SHE'S OUTSIDE, SHE'S GOING WILD
PULLING FUNNY FACES
THROUGH THE WINDOW I CAN'T MAKE OUT
WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT

IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD
IT'S GOT TO BE GOOD IT BETTER BE GOOD

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • sonicdeatheagle - 2012-02-12 @ 06:55pm
    The drums are AWESOME!! I love the simple instrumentation. This is great!
  • Mannyc53 - 2012-02-12 @ 07:25pm
    Really like this one. Great style Well done.
  • astroboy - 2012-02-12 @ 11:49pm
    Love the drums! Like your title, it is good! Only better than good! Nice track!
  • gerrybhoy - 2012-02-13 @ 03:42am
    Big sound,got me moving, good job.
  • Chasing Andromeda - 2012-02-13 @ 08:56am
    Believe it or not, I can hear this in a musical. The drums are exceptional. Snar sounds great, just the right amount of reverb.
  • jamkar - 2012-02-13 @ 09:15am
    Rhythmically compelling. Distant harmonies add to the message. The piano is a nice addition to a song that has punk and ska flavors, but really stands out on it's own.
  • musicsongwriter - 2012-02-13 @ 09:22am
    Absoluly fantastic song, I can hear it in different genres. Fantastic lyrics, music, playing and singing. Amazing work, totally awesome. You rock Max!!! Million stars!!!
  • wander - 2012-02-13 @ 02:06pm
    Started a bit like 'opzij opzij opzij maak plaats maak plaats maak plaats we hebben een ongelofelijke haast'. What did you do to that woman? Love your voice here, sorry to make comparisions but this could sit alongside 'Lust for life' and 'The passenger'. I have the feeling we all will feel a bit empty when we reach 15. You're going so fast!
  • Karan - 2012-02-13 @ 03:14pm
    Oh! WOW! Totally gorgeous! :-D
  • wobbiewobbit - 2012-02-14 @ 03:19am
    Nice one! Love the drums. well, and the piano, they go really well together, well done :)
  • Lluis - 2012-02-14 @ 07:01am
    hah, this is a fun one... The music really transmits the urgency of the lyrics, and I love how the whole thing is unresolved. Snare is awesome, as is the background moaning near the end.
  • marklberry - 2012-02-14 @ 09:57am
    Awesome use of percussion, including the piano. The backing vocals really work to give this as ominous feel. Cheers, marklberry
  • marklberry - 2012-02-14 @ 09:58am
    Awesome use of percussion, including the piano. The backing vocals really work to give this as ominous feel. Cheers, marklberry
  • ctrl+z ctrl+z - 2012-02-14 @ 04:37pm
    Rollicking fun song. Way FUN. Echo the percussion comments. *piano is a percussion instrument too right
  • mhoff - 2012-02-16 @ 07:22am
    I like how the song builds. It grew on me as I was listening to it!
  • PlushBaby - 2012-02-16 @ 07:43am
    Wicked drums, they sound great and the backing vox work really well with the main vocal. This is so powerful, I feel like I'll only really understand it after a couple of listens!
  • bradbrubaker - 2012-02-16 @ 09:34pm
    I think everyone can relate with the tedium of dealing with someone who is upset in a way that requires more patience than we have or are willing to manifest in the moment. "Alright, I'm coming, just a minute" is pretty funny.
  • headfirstonly - 2012-02-17 @ 12:02pm
    This is IMMENSE! And I have a new set of headphones to try out tonight (clicks download)...
  • the awkward sleep - 2012-02-17 @ 12:26pm
    wow!!! another amazing one! so damn catchy! love the drum. i am a fan of blown out eardrums so i (gasp) used headphones. ;) -ru
  • Eric - 2012-02-18 @ 08:37am
    Heh... I've been caught saying "just let me listen to this one more song on FAWM..." "okay, but let me leave a comment..." "oh I have to listen to this one now; be there in a minute...." Gets me in trouble every time :) I agree with what others are saying about the percussion; really makes the piece dramatic, like there's this endless build up or a really long parade.
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2012-02-18 @ 08:49am
    It's good, don't worry! Still I'm wondering what she wanted to say ...
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-18 @ 04:15pm
    Reminds me of Doe Maar. I love the drums and the piano. Creates a very mystical atmosphere!
  • debs - 2012-02-19 @ 07:41pm
    * Laughs * thanks for the warnings re: the headphones! I took heed and turned them down before I did it. This has a nice wide open sound, and I really like the panning in the rolling drums. I think if I were singing these lyrics I would feel compelled to shriek a lot :D What a cute lyric too. What the heck is it in the end?!
  • brownium - 2012-02-20 @ 07:47pm
    Max - great song. One note: In US English we say "making funny faces". Not sure if it "pulling funny faces" is used elsewhere, so you might want to check with a Brit. That said, "pulling funny faces" sounds a little odd, but not bad. I kind of like the quirkiness of it.
  • Timothy Bracken - 2012-02-22 @ 08:53am
    Epic! Rhythmically super-satisfying...love the ending!
  • 'Old Foot Dupree' (Danielle) - 2012-02-22 @ 05:37pm
    This is awesome. I love the rolling quality underneath it your creating with the back-up vocals and piano. It reminds me of swing era, jump jive and wailin' energy in it's purest play :) Good job, man!
  • mattblick - 2012-02-23 @ 07:02am
    Re English - UK does say "pulling funny faces" as the sport of Gurning is know we'd say "double glazed" rather than windows with double glass in though
  • petemurphy - 2012-02-27 @ 04:40am
    LOVE that piano riff. Great stuff!
  • Juha Keranen - 2012-02-29 @ 05:56am
    oh great... now I've got THIS playing in my head... :D That was some damn cool riffage man. You've got such a cool cool voice! :) Nice job!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-03-01 @ 04:53am
    THANKS FOR LISTENING !!!
  • Dragondreams - 2012-03-04 @ 04:09am
    This one feels very theatrical. I love the atmosphere that you create with the rolling drums and the stabby piano. And your voice is SO cool on this one. It certainly has a swing-era feel, but with a delicious twist. There are parts where I'm reminded of Cab Calloway (and that's a good thing in my book). :)
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-03-05 @ 01:40pm
    Love the intensity of the music. Still want to know what she wanted you to see :-) It is amazing how the music fit the lyric! The imagined visual is funny~
  • Nam June Robot - 2012-03-05 @ 05:06pm
    great sound and i love the tempo!
  • Crispy - 2012-03-06 @ 02:06pm
    Worth the ear-drum rupturing! Very theatrical and frantic.
  • darcistrutt - 2012-03-15 @ 10:08pm
    Great drum and piano riff! Very funky sound. Great vocal treatment. I'd be going nuts waiting for that slow poke to get out of that silly house if I was dancing around the yard! :-)

10. So Close

2012-02-14 @ 07:55am
tags: acoustic guitar collab co-write

last night @thomasaram came over for a FAWM co-write and recording. This collab started with a blank piece of paper and no chords in our minds. Scary! We've never done this together before. While jamming, it took us four hours to come up with this one. Then we had only two hours left for recording, so there are some mistakes here and there.

Imagine a guy who takes the empty chair next to you in one of the coffeebars in the shopping mall.
He starts telling his somewhat incoherent story of what he experienced today and what brought him here. You don't know him, he's a stranger to you, still he expects you to listen. Turns out he simply could have asked: "Could you spare me a dime?"

Lyrics

SO I RUSH OUTSIDE
WITH SUSPICIOUS EYES
I WILL DO THIS NOW
I'M READY ANYHOW
SO WITH SWEATY HANDS
AND COLD FEET
I TRY TO TURN THE KEY OF MY CAR
BUT IT WON'T START

WELL YOU KNOW I DON'T MIND TO GO
ON A BUS THERE'S NO OTHER OPTION ,NO
FOUND THE RIGHT ONE AND I TAKE A SEAT
NEXT GO A LADY WITH ROTTEN TEETH
A PLASTIC BAG
WEARING RAGS
SHE'S PUSHING ME
AND SPILLS HER TEA
SHE'S POKING HER STICK
I FEEL SICK
SHE GETS ANGRY STARTS TO SHOUT
NOW PLEASE LET ME OUT

I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS BUS
I WILL CREATE MY OWN LUCK
I'LL USE MY RELIABLE LEGS
THEY'VE ALWAYS DONE ME BEST
SO I'VE WALKED FOR MILES
I'VE STAYED FRIENDLY WHILE
EVEN MY FEET HURT
FROM WALKING IN THE DIRT
AND MY SHIRT IS SWEATY
AND MY THROAT IS SORE
AND I CANNOT FEEL
MY FEET NO MORE
WALK UP TO REACH
AND OPEN THE DOOR
AND EVEN THOUGH I'M SO CLOSE
THEY'RE CLOSED

I TAKE A TAXI TO DRIVE ME HOME
THE GUY WOULD NOT LEAVE ME ALONE
DRIVING A LIKE A MAD MAN THROUGH THE TOWN
TELLING ME THINGS THAT MADE ME FROWN
SO I GOT OUT OF THE CAB
AND FELL FLAT ON MY BACK
WITH A STICK IN MY KNEE
AND THE CURB IN MY NECK
AND I REACH FOR THE DOOR
FINALLY
I REALIZE NOW
HOW STUPID OF ME
WHEN I WAS BACK IN THE TAXI
LEFT MY JACKET IN THERE
SO THE REST OF THE DAY
I TAKE SHELTER AND STAY
IN A SHOPPING MALL
WITH NO MONEY AT ALL

All rights reserved. ©2012 words and music : Thomas Aram / Max Vanremmerden

Comments

  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-14 @ 08:19am
    @ Thomas. In case you have trouble to remember.....This is what we did last night :)
  • Benjamin J Spencer - 2012-02-14 @ 08:44am
    Great vibe dudes..... LOVE this sh!t.
  • wander - 2012-02-14 @ 01:55pm
    I think this is my favorite of you both so far, quite spooky voices and brooding instruments, great guitar and nice piano loop. Definitely a grower.
  • thomasaram - 2012-02-14 @ 06:39pm
    hij is cool:)
  • Rick Amorphis - 2012-02-15 @ 01:32am
    Yeah!!! Great syncopated rhythm to the vocals, plays off the piano riff very well. Love the brooding minor key feel. Max's voice sounds great in the Iggy-like baritone too. On my 2nd listen. Great collab, guys!
  • Dear John - 2012-02-15 @ 02:24am
    Spooky shit guys! I'll call this a "best of both worlds". Great descriptive lycs too. Feels like a movie ;)
  • Danalyze - 2012-02-15 @ 08:54am
    i like!! sound a bit leonard cohenish and tomwaitish and ? forgot name ish, good job boys! wanna do a four collab? danalyze thomas max en wander?
  • Danalyze - 2012-02-15 @ 08:55am
    yes iggy pop thanks rickamorphis
  • Danalyze - 2012-02-15 @ 08:56am
    ow and dj smit and roy welcome too, or duos trios quatros or qiors?
  • nightengale - 2012-02-15 @ 08:13pm
    Wow you two, this is a great collab, love that sound!
  • kimbeggs - 2012-02-16 @ 01:28pm
    Hey cool you guys! Sounds pretty cool. Nice singing and rhythm. the sounds takes me back somehow...
  • tinam - 2012-02-16 @ 06:07pm
    wow i love your voice... i also thought of iggy pop when i heard it! & a great song ...i love the instruments you both chose to use & of course the paranoia!
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2012-02-18 @ 08:56am
    Nice production and arrangement, the vocals sound very good!
  • marijequerida - 2012-02-22 @ 01:30pm
    ah jullie zijn super! dit is zo goed :D
  • Dragondreams - 2012-03-04 @ 04:27am
    Oh yes! I love the whole feel of this one! It sounds very "live". And it's simply a great song too! :) One of my favourites.
  • Michael Aquino - 2012-03-04 @ 07:16pm
    Great groove. Bad ass vocal delivery. Feels like a stream-of-consciousness piece. Excellent collaboration.
  • Nam June Robot - 2012-03-05 @ 05:10pm
    I like the stream of consciousness aspect here.. what a crappy day..

11. Humpy Bumpy Grumpy Slumpy

2012-02-18 @ 01:27pm
tags: slump-rock midfawm diy nonsense fun

Lost inspiration self addressed midFAWM slump song.

This thread explains it all http://fawm.org/forums/thread/3244/

Lyrics

IT'S THAT TIME OF THE MONTH ONCE AGAIN
BIG GUYS WHINING, BLANK PAPER, EMPTY PEN
I'VE BEEN AROUND FOR MORE THAN SIX YEARS
AND EACH FAWM THEY BURST OUT IN TEARS
OH COME ON

YEAH COME ON WRITE A SONG
WELL COME ON SING A SONG
OH COME ON MAKE A SONG FOR ME

HAVEN'T HEARD YOU IN A WHILE
YOU CAN RUN THAT EXTRA MILE
IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE WORTHWHILE
PLEASE WRITE SOMETHING, MAKE ME SMILE
COME ON

YEAH COME ON WRITE A SONG
WELL COME ON SING A SONG
OH COME ON MAKE A SONG FOR ME

THERE'S NO NEEDTO FEEL SAD
WHEN SONGS ARE PLAYING HARD TO GET
THERE'S NO NEED TO GET MAD
JUST FORGET ALL THE OLD IDEAS YOU HAD
YEAH COME ON

YEAH COME ON WRITE A SONG
WELL COME ON SING A SONG
OH COME ON MAKE A SONG FOR ME

GET ON WITH IT
HUMPY BUMPY GRUMPY SLUMPY
HUMPY BUMPY GRUMPY SLUMPY
HUMPY BUMPY GRUMPY SLUMPY
GET ON WITH IT

STRUM YOUR GUITAR PLAY THE TAMBOURINE
COMPLETELY DRUGGED BY ALL THE CAFFEINE
BUT YOU CAN MAKE IT YOU CAN MAKE ALL FOURTEEN
SO COME ON

YEAH COME ON WRITE A SONG
WELL COME ON SING A SONG
YEAH COME ON WRITE A SONG
WELL COME ON SING A SONG
OH COME ON MAKE A SONG FOR ME

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Rob and Laura - 2012-02-18 @ 03:44pm
    Very nice! Unfortunately, I feel like you're writing directly to me!
  • toms - 2012-02-18 @ 06:10pm
    I love phase shifters. :) This slump-rock song rawks!!!! (Truth is, the chorus in particular is really excellent. Just goes to show that your theory is correct.)
  • Major Major Major Major - 2012-02-18 @ 11:48pm
    Way to taunt yourself! This really did cheer me up, and that Barry White bit ~1:50 was wonderful and really funny.
  • Dan Vaillancourt - 2012-02-19 @ 11:51am
    Love the rhythm. Thanks for the groovin' inspiration to finish. ;)
  • wander - 2012-02-19 @ 01:04pm
    Very catchy. And oh so recognizable, I got that humpty dumpty feeling now... lack of time and inspiration... its the last FAWM miles that are the hardest. You're almost at the finish Max! (I saw some ASG men who still have to do 12, good luck to em)
  • Nam June Robot - 2012-03-05 @ 05:13pm
    haha! Great topic.

12. Dog's Messin' With A Skunk Again

2012-02-19 @ 06:34am
tags: genre-challenge skunk dog

Check the genre challenge thread before listening
http://fawm.org/forums/thread/3268/

Lyrics

Verse)
Sittin’ on the couch, watchin’ a movie on the TV
On a cool February eve
Had to turn it down, there was a sound outside
I couldn’t hear it o’er the vee
Like a growlin’ and a barkin’
There must have been one Hell of a fight
So I threw on my boots
And headed into the night

(Chorus)
Wish I’d stayed where I had been
Dog’s messin’ with a skunk again
You know he never learns his lesson
There’s no way to tone it down
He foams at the mouth
Rubs his face on the ground
Ain’t no way to win
He’s messin’ with a skunk again

(Verse)
I take him in the bathtub, wash the oil out the fur
I’ll use whatever I can find
I’ll mix up buttermilk, orange juice, canned tomatoes
Arm-n-hammer, and hydrogen peroxide
But no matter how much smell
You wash on down the pipes
There’s always plenty left
To smell for a fortnight
There’s always plenty left
To smell for a fortnight


(Chorus)
Wish I’d stayed where I had been
Dog’s messin’ with a skunk again
You know he never learns his lesson
There’s no way to tone it down
He foams at the mouth
Rubs his face on the ground
Ain’t no way to win
He’s messin’ with a skunk again

(Verse)
Had to set up the pet gates, move his bowl outside
And cover the bed and couch
Can’t take the chance that he might jump up
Cause you can’t just wash it out
I’m afraid it’s just the way he is
It happens every spring
When the critters get all twitter-pated
You know he’ll snap at anything

(Chorus)
Wish I’d stayed there on the couch
Dog’s messin’ with a skunk again
You’d think he’d learn his lesson
There’s no way to tone it down
He’ll foam at the mouth
Rub his burnin’ eyes on the ground

Ain’t no way to win
He’s messin’ with a skunk again

Lyrics : Duane Clancy (FAWM 2012)
Music: Max Vanremmerden

Comments

  • darcistrutt - 2012-02-19 @ 08:09am
    Ooo - this version makes me want to dance to it in a dark little grooving place with a scotch in my hand. Liked the spoken verse! Great sound! This is a fun challenge!! I'm loving what you come up with.
  • duaneclancy - 2012-02-19 @ 08:15am
    Good job Max :-) of all the versions I've listened to so far, this was probably closer to what I had invisioned when I wrote the lyric. You guys are going to make me get out of my comfort zone again and have to record this just so I won't be left out. I may have to do a bluegrass version or something just to stay in the game ... I really liked the vocal and style here ... reminiscent of songs coming out of the 60's here in the states.
  • sapient - 2012-02-19 @ 09:29am
    Brilliant! This is the Lou Reed / Bob Dylan version, right? Very laid back, very smooth, and, as always, very nicely produced. This has such a wonderful lazy shuffle to it. There's a real feeling of resignation in it. "Aw hell. I gotta clean the dog up... again..." Love it!
  • Swampjaw - 2012-02-19 @ 09:58am
    Awesome. Very nicely done.
  • bradbrubaker - 2012-02-19 @ 12:03pm
    I like the ease you take with the chorus. The whole thing has a Lou Reed meets Go! Team feel, a concept that is full of possibilities.
  • wander - 2012-02-19 @ 01:12pm
    Your last songs are a bit mellower. Are you getting dog tired by now or are you working towards an ambient chillout feel for the closing songs? ;-)
  • jonniegrunge - 2012-02-19 @ 04:14pm
    I'll echo what others said on the Lou Reed vibe, and a bit of Tom Petty. I like the smooth, casual approach to the vocals. The drums give a good pace to the song. Great version, man.
  • Errol - 2012-02-19 @ 08:07pm
    Nice Max! I like the way you enunciate this thing! *laugh* So great. :D
  • Jen Distad - 2012-02-20 @ 11:57am
    Nice answer to the metal and industrial versions. (= (I'm immensely enjoying all of the versions of this!)
  • Fuzzy - 2012-02-21 @ 04:38pm
    I'll mention the great Lou Reed vocal sound again. I like the way you've approached the choruses. A pretty laid back version! Great job!!
  • timmyriordan - 2012-02-22 @ 11:30pm
    Looks like I'm going to be redundant but great Lou Reed treatment. This is really nice. Is that banjo you're doing the arpeggios on? Cool!
  • T.C. Elliott - 2012-02-25 @ 12:32pm
    Vocals remind me just a bit of Zappa... cool rock track. Kind of an Americana rock southern pop thing... sort of. Yeah, I like this one quite a bit.
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2012-03-04 @ 02:38pm
    Cool performance!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-03-16 @ 06:37pm
    I am hearing a little Lou Reed, but a lot of Bob Dylan too. Great version

13. He's Doing Swell Now

2012-02-20 @ 08:51am
tags: piano one-chord swing

True story about a good friend of mine.
He had his album released this week, got signed by a major label, is in all newspapers this week and will be singing one of his songs in the most popular talkshow during prime time on Dutch TV tonight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ergz4aFz8Q4
Big Topic in music media-land at the moment. I feel proud.

Lyrics

HE WAS STEALING , HE WAS DRINKING, HE WAS DOING DRUGS
TILL HE MET US AT THIS LESBIAN CLUB
TUESDAY NIGHTS AT THE OPEN MIC
HE FINALLY FOUND THE PEOPLE HE LIKED
HE'S DOING FINE NOW
HE'S DOING FINE NOW

HE LOOKED AT THE WORLD BEING A BOXING RING
SO HE PICKED UP HIS GUITAR AND STARTED TO SING
HE FOUND A WAY TO CHANNEL HIS ANGER AND HATE
FORCING HIMSELF, DESERVING BETTER FATE
HE'S DOING GREAT NOW
HE'S DOING GREAT NOW

SOME THOUGHT IT WAS A BIT MYSTERIOUS
BUT NOW THEY'RE REALIZING HE'S SERIOUS
IT'S NOT JUST ENTERTAINMENT, IT'S GENUINE
I LOVE I'VE SEEN HIM GROW KNOWING WHERE HE'S BEEN
HE'S DOING SWELL NOW
HE'S DOING SWELL NOW
HE'S DOING SWELL NOW
HE'S DOING SWELL NOW

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Johnny Cashpoint - 2012-02-20 @ 09:22am
    Groovy! Are those real drums? Such a cool swing and 'verb to them!
  • Benjamin J Spencer - 2012-02-20 @ 09:26am
    This is wicked! Especially for a one-chord tune! :)
  • Donna - 2012-02-20 @ 09:52am
    Great story and an excellent song, Max. :)
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-20 @ 09:56am
    Where have all the fine folks, where have all the great folks, where have all the swell folks, Gone to?
  • G Slade - 2012-02-20 @ 11:11am
    awesome story for that dude.. can't wait til you sing this about me.. ha.. top notch production of course as always
  • arthurrossi - 2012-02-20 @ 02:46pm
    I dig the story telling lyrics, brilliantly written! Wonderful "musification" and good vocal! Great job!!
  • wander - 2012-02-20 @ 04:49pm
    Incredible how swell this man is doing now, you people can listen to his music at http://3voor12.vpro.nl/#!/luisterpaal/albums/Case-Mayfield.html Once he wrote a song about you and now you pay him back, that is wonderful. Love the jazzy rhytm and the positive feeling of the song.
  • Dear John - 2012-02-20 @ 05:40pm
    I'm proud of you both...
  • marijequerida - 2012-02-21 @ 09:07am
    ah, love it :)
  • bmullany - 2012-02-21 @ 10:14am
    I always used "swell" ironically but using it honrstly. Perhaps there's hope for the world. thanks for your encouragement - I've found if i try playing guitar with PD at certainn times of day i can get in some sloppy playing , which at least puts me in the game. PS: How do you do your drums ?
  • bmullany - 2012-02-21 @ 10:22am
    checkeed out Alright Louise by Case Mayfield. Sweet !
  • Rick Amorphis - 2012-02-21 @ 03:46pm
    Glad this jumped out of the jukebox for me...the 1st verse could be about any Fawmer, but your friend makes the big leap. Great sound.
  • AXL - 2012-02-22 @ 02:07am
    Great story! And it being true makes it even more amazing. The first two lines kill :-)
  • Timothy Bracken - 2012-02-22 @ 08:51am
    This is awesome! Really love the vibe...the piano, the vocal line, grooving.
  • mike skliar - 2012-02-23 @ 07:19pm
    great story, great song! some absolutely killer lines! (the entilre last verse for example) uplifting, funky, and great great job!
  • mattblick - 2012-02-25 @ 07:28am
    Good song - I can imagine some funky diva doing this
  • ofishell - 2012-02-26 @ 01:41pm
    Max, you're brilliant. Amazing that a one-chord song can be so dynamic. Well done!
  • DaddySchu - 2012-02-27 @ 12:13am
    I gotta agree with @ofishell... Brilliant!
  • Valerie Cox - 2012-02-27 @ 09:49am
    Very cool groove on this song. Awesome story. I bet you're immensely proud of your friend. It would be a lie if I said I didn't love the part about meeting up at a lesbian club. The world does love a lesbian. :P
  • ange - 2012-02-27 @ 11:23am
    Great sound, how do you get the time for such a full production?!. good stuff :)
  • hoops - 2012-02-28 @ 02:54am
    Excellent groove to this - love that percussive backing - and the vocals just float over the top beautifully. The catchy melodies and strong lyrics hold attention completely in the absence of chord changes. Great stuff!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-03-16 @ 11:35am
    How great to do this song with one chord! Nice groove..and tribute.. So great to see the vid, and the joy emanating from him....knowing the story behind it. Very cool!

14. Popularity

2012-02-21 @ 10:07am
tags: rock pop diy job rock-out

Those living in the Netherlands must have a clue who this song is about.
But it's universal anyway. Written from the perspective of the board of directors.

:O 14th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Lyrics

WE HOPE YOU REALIZE
I'M SURE YOU KNOW
SOMEONE HAS TO PAY THE PRICE
WE WANT YOU TO GO

SURE YOU HAVE YOUR QUALITIES
BUT THAT'S NOT QUITE WHAT WE NEED
WHAT IT IS WE'D LIKE TO SEE
IS POPULARITY

WE NEED A LEADER, ONE WHO'S EAGER
A BRAND NEW STYLE, A BRIGHT YOUNG SMILE

NOT A LOT TO TALK ABOUT
YOU KNOW WE'VE GOT TO SORT IT OUT
IT'S ALL OVER
YOU GOT TO STOP AND SHUT Y'R MOUTH
STEP ASIDE I'LL LET YOU OUT
I'LL TELL YOUR CHAUFFEUR

YOU'VE DONE YOUR BEST
BUT YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE PRESS
GOSH, YOU ARE A MESS
MAN, YOU LOOK DEPRESSED

A NEW VISION
A CLEAR HORIZON
NO ROLLING DICES

YOU HAVE TO ADMIT
YOU DON'T FIT
IT WAS WORTH TRYING
BUT YOUR BACK UP IS DYING

SURE YOU HAVE YOUR QUALITIES
BUT THAT'S NOT QUITE WHAT WE NEED
WHAT IT IS WE'D LIKE TO SEE
IS POPULARITY

WE NEED A LEADER, ONE WHO'S EAGER
A NEW STYLE, A BRIGHT SMILE
WE NEED A LEADER, ONE WHO'S EAGER
A NEW STYLE, A BRIGHT SMILE

I HAVE TO SAY I'M SORRY MAN
I HAVE TO SAY I'M SORRY
BUT WE'VE ALL SEEN THIS COMING MAN
WE'VE ALL SEEN THIS COMING YEAH

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • wander - 2012-02-21 @ 10:08am
    Yes we cohen!
  • arthurrossi - 2012-02-21 @ 10:17am
    Lovely rock-pop rhythm, good, good vocal! Powerful performance!! Very well done!
  • AXL - 2012-02-21 @ 01:07pm
    Congratulations you Winner! :-) This is a great catchy pop song. Whatever that dododododododo sound is, I love it.
  • ctrl+z ctrl+z - 2012-02-22 @ 11:13pm
    well this is a diversion , a little Peter Murphy side to ya. Nice.
  • marklberry - 2012-02-23 @ 01:19pm
    Awesome groove to this tune. Cheers, marklberry
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-02-23 @ 10:05pm
    Very topical here (Australia) right now. Good groove Max, cruel lyrics!
  • Ken Ficara - 2012-02-24 @ 12:13pm
    Great rocker, Max! And it's certainly applicable here in the US. Your voice is perfect for this.
  • rodeoboats - 2012-02-26 @ 07:43am
    Great! Love the raspy voice and the higher one behind it. I suppose this could apply to some presidents we've had over here.
  • managerjohn - 2012-02-28 @ 07:34pm
    I like your rockin' vibe this year. A little more bounce in the bass and this would remind me of New Model Army, especially with the political under and over tones. Nice FAWM this year, Max.
  • thomasaram - 2012-03-03 @ 08:54am
    good concept, good song
  • tinam - 2012-03-04 @ 09:02am
    i left comments on a song of yours a week or 2 ago where you were using your iggy pop baritone which i adored & was hoping to find another one.... & bingo here it is again... but this time with electric guitars so this realy ticks all my boxes!

15. I Wish I Could Give You A Hug

2012-02-27 @ 09:50am
tags: comfort depression internet

I wrote this after reading this thread by @whisperedcandles this morning.
http://fawm.org/forums/thread/3388

Take care!

Lyrics

YOU'RE KIND OF FALLING APART
FIGHTING A BLEEDING HEART
ALL YOU CAN DO IS CRY
YOU'RE STILL WONDERING WHY

I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU
NOT EVEN IF I WANTED TO
I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU
NOT EVEN IF I WANTED TO

I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A HUG
I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A HUG

YOU POST A CRY FOR HELP
YOU'VE KIND OF LOST YOURSELF
BUT THE HELP YOU NEED TO GET
YOU WON'T FIND ON THE INTERNET

I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU
DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH
I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU
DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH

I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A HUG
I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A HUG
I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A HUG
BUT ALL I CAN DO IS WISH YOU LUCK

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY
YOU'RE TOO FAR AWAY
I CAN'T DRY YOUR TEARS
OR TAKE AWAY YOUR FEARS

CAN'T PUT MY ARMS AROUND YOU
THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO
CAN'T PUT MY ARMS AROUND YOU
THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO

I WISH I COULD GIVE YOU A HUG
BUT ALL I CAN DO IS WISH YOU LUCK
I WISH YOU LUCK
TAKE CARE

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • dawnsoap - 2012-02-27 @ 10:32am
    What a beautiful song! It was so sweet of you to write something for @whisperedcandles! I do hope that it helps ease some of the sadness for her. It sounds like she is going through a lot. Beautifully done. It is true that the internet cannot be a supplement for real world human interaction... but if you can't give someone a hug, writing a song about wishing that you could is the next best thing :) I love the FAWM community, there are so many kind people here.
  • darcistrutt - 2012-02-27 @ 10:44am
    Is that a little banjo in the background? Like the "wish I could give you a hug" repeating line. Good advise - the Internet can only do so much - but kind folk like you do make a difference. Nice beat and feel to this song. Take care!
  • Whispered Candles - 2012-02-27 @ 11:14am
    <3 thank you
  • wander - 2012-02-27 @ 01:38pm
    Sweet. Music is the healer.
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-27 @ 04:50pm
    Reminds me of Arctic Monkeys in a strange way. Nice song, but not 'super' IMO.
  • bradbrubaker - 2012-02-29 @ 12:05pm
    Though it is a song about feeling helpless when someone else is in need, it feels like it could reach the listener who needs it. Makes me want to write my own song of the same nature.

16. Modern Love Song

2012-02-29 @ 06:13pm
tags: collab half-song

So, I asked @Max to do a 1/2 Song with me, and was thrilled that he accepted! My half was lyrics (posted). He's working on the music as I type. Demo and tags to follow!

Max, you rock!

Max: that was fun, hope you like it.

Lyrics

Don't talk to me about the demons setting up house between your ears.
Don't drone on about the zombies gumming up the gears.
Don't remind me you're unstable; that fact is plain to see.
Just tell me that your monsters like the monsters in me.

Keep quiet about (your) ghosts, I hate the unseen world.
Broken voices marching 'round with their absent flags unfurled.
Just remind me I'm unstable; the facts ( pointing there) aren't few.
And tell me that my poltergeists don't scare the ones in you.

'Cause we could dance along to this haunted prom, ignore the world that eggs us on.

So keep your thoughts confidential, regarding imps around your feet.
You've seen enough to know that I can clearly take the heat.
Let the beasts and fiends have their final word, and leave them in our dust.
Let them decide if they really want to tag along with us.

'Cause we could dance along to this haunted prom, ignore the world that eggs us on.
Dead things from our splintered pasts take heed: you're hereby on a shorter leash.
'Cause we could dance along to this haunted prom, ignore the world that eggs us on.
Dead things from our splintered pasts take heed: you're hereby on a shorter leash.

Lyrics: Wayne Fishell
Music: Max Vanremmerden

Comments

  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-29 @ 07:22pm
    :) done ....
  • ofishell - 2012-02-29 @ 07:28pm
    Max, I am delighted! Thank you so much for this! I'm dancing around my office! You did all the heavy lifting on this song, so the credit for how awesome it is goes to you, sir! I can't believe that you stayed up until almost 3:00 am to do this! Dankjewel!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2012-02-29 @ 07:31pm
    My pleasure, it was fun to do. I'm glad you like it. I had to work all evening. Came back at 11:45 and started right away. I need a couple of zzz's now. It's 2:30AM here. Nighty night.
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2012-03-01 @ 12:01pm
    Nice lyrics and well sung!
  • Valerie Cox - 2012-03-05 @ 08:48am
    Great lyrics. Love the theme. It's very unique and very accessible, a little funny and little like "yeah, that's it." :) Music is a good match too. Y'all make a good team.
  • AXL - 2012-03-07 @ 02:43am
    Great lyrics indeed. And so hard to sing. Now I'm suspecting that if I ever want to become as prolific as Max I'll need to work longer hours. I'll have to debate that with myself. Great job both of you.

17. Got To Let It Go

2012-03-01 @ 05:58am
tags: suppression blues pop

I better leave the liner notes blank, you never know who's lurking. :)

Thanks for listening!

Lyrics

I GOT TO LET IT GO
I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RIGHT
BUT IT ISN'T WORTH THE FIGHT
THERE'S NO USE TRYING WHEN THEY KEEP LYING
I NEED TO BE POLITE
I GOT TO LET IT GO

I'VE GOT TO ZIP MY LIPS AGAIN
HAVE TO HOLD MY TONGUE
NOT THAT I'M A BLABBERMOUTH
PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG
I MEAN NO RESPONSE
I MEAN NO RESPONSE
NO RESPONSE TO WHAT WAS SAID
EVEN THOUGH IT DRIVES ME MAD

I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RIGHT
BUT IT ISN'T WORTH THE FIGHT
THERE'S NO USE TRYING WHEN THEY KEEP LYING
I NEED TO BE POLITE
I GOT TO LET IT GO

THEIR FRIENDLY FACES ARE JUST MASKS
THEY NEED TO REACH THEIR GOALS
IT'S BETTER FOR ME NOT TO ASK
CAUSE THEY ARE IN CONTROL
SO I LET IT PASS
SO I LET IT PASS
I LET IT PASS AND MOVE ALONG
EVEN THOUGH I THINK IT'S WRONG

I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RIGHT
BUT IT ISN'T WORTH THE FIGHT
THERE'S NO USE TRYING WHEN THEY KEEP LYING
I NEED TO BE POLITE
I GOT TO LET IT GO

THEY REALLY LIKE TO SILENCE
ALL CRITICAL VOICES
THEY REALLY LIKE TO SILENCE
ALL CRITICAL VOICES
I GOTTA BE CAREFUL WHAT I SAY
I HAVE TO ACT IN THE RIGHT WAY
THEY REALLY LIKE TO SILENCE
ALL CRITICAL VOICES

MODERN DAY SUPPRESSION
NO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION
THEY FEEL ATTACKED GOT NO RESPECT
THEY FEAR ALL DISCUSSIONS
I LET IT GO

I GOT TO LET IT GO
I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RIGHT
BUT IT ISN'T WORTH THE FIGHT
THERE'S NO USE TRYING WHEN THEY KEEP LYING
I NEED TO BE POLITE
I GOT TO LET IT GO
I GOT TO LET IT GO

Some rights reserved. Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • fiftydegrees - 2012-03-01 @ 07:19am
    Catchy melody and good message. I particularly like your use of vocal harmony in the chorus. Nice work!
  • Rick Amorphis - 2012-03-01 @ 07:57am
    This song hits the spot. Digging the brushes-on-drums thing and the casual feel. A nice way to put some freshness into the 12-bar blues structure. Internet forums are, well, yeah... hang in there, Brother Max. :)
  • beevreeland - 2012-03-01 @ 08:02am
    Wow, I love the message! "Modern day suppression/No freedom of expression." Gold!
  • arthurrossi - 2012-03-01 @ 10:22am
    "I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RIGHT BUT IT ISN'T WORTH THE FIGHT" are lovely lines and so true!! I like the bluesy feel of this song, though I would not say it is 100% only blues, but you also tagged it like that... Good vocal and lyrics, an awesome song overall!!
  • Ken Ficara - 2012-03-01 @ 12:28pm
    Don't know what this is about, but it's very powerful. The contrast between the vocal and guitar rhythm is really effective.
  • samhealer - 2012-03-01 @ 04:31pm
    Love the repetition of the title phrase, almost like a mantra. Absolutely fantastic sound to this, and matched with a great set of lyrics.
  • blindkiwi - 2012-03-01 @ 08:25pm
    This just grows and grows on me, gonna listen again. Great hook
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-03-01 @ 08:55pm
    This would've made a good ending song too! :p Seriously: this summarises a lot of my past, where in the aid I had to let it go. so it resonates. Good jazz club sound Max, but then you knew that!
  • wander - 2012-03-02 @ 08:28am
    Them pigs are probably on your case already. Better start runnin' and hidin' quick.
  • Dirk Bag - 2012-03-02 @ 11:01am
    Another fine groove you've got going on in this one. Very nice vocals and harmonies too. Good work!
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-03-03 @ 12:57pm
    Reminds me a little of The Woodwards, Max!
  • Mike Debenham - 2012-03-04 @ 08:45am
    Swings along beautifully. Love that vocal harmony line.
  • Nam June Robot - 2012-03-05 @ 05:29pm
    I feel ya.
  • Crispy - 2012-03-06 @ 02:04pm
    I'm adopting this as my new theme song. Smooth vibe.
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-03-16 @ 11:57am
    Sage advice for the times...or any time. The liner notes made me smile. Like the understated way you executed this song too
  • randyxpher - 2012-03-17 @ 10:27am
    Honestly, you could have put just about anything on top of that brush beat, and I would have loved it. Fortunately, the song itself is lyrically very involving and musically on point. Excellent!

18. Cut, Drilled and Cornered

2012-03-01 @ 05:58am
tags: vinyl rock banjo punk

A song about the albums that were made with passion and devotion, not having any listeners.
Written from the perspective of cut-out vinyl records.

Thanks for listening to this one!

Lyrics

GROOVY IS WHAT WE WERE
OH BOY WE LOVE THE NEEDLE THAT'S FOR SURE
WE HAVE SEEN BETTER DAYS
BUT NOW WE'RE CLEARED AWAY
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED

OUR TRACKS WOULD MAKE THEM DANCE
RECORD SHOP OWNERS THEY TOOK THE CHANCE
WE USED TO GET FULL DISPLAY
AND THE PEOPLE EVEN PAID
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED

ALL DIFFERENT LABELS
WERE SPINNING ON TURNTABLES
WE'RE NO LONGER HERE TO STAY
WE NEED TO MAKE WAY
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED

NO RETURN FOR US
NO REFUND NO FUSS
OUR PRICES ARE LOW
WE'RE CUT-OUT, END OF SHOW
EVERY RECORD SHOP HAS A DISCOUNT STACK
YOU'LL FIND US IN THE BACK
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED

WE CARRY SOME REAL GOOD STUFF
APPARENTLY IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH
WE'RE SEALED AND ARE READY TO PLAY
THEN WHY ARE WE CUT AWAY?
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED
CUT, DRILLED AND CORNERED

NO RETURN FOR US
NO REFUND NO FUSS
OUR PRICES ARE LOW
WE'RE CUT-OUT, END OF SHOW

Some rights reserved. © Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2012

Comments

  • Karan - 2012-03-01 @ 06:21am
    Thank you for giving those poor vinyls such a great voice! Recently I've seen some of them on a flea marked - they had been transformed into fruit bowls. Made me all sentimental.
  • samhealer - 2012-03-01 @ 04:32pm
    The almost chant-like performance really works well, and a really interesting topic/perspective :)
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-03-01 @ 08:41pm
    Clever song Max. As someone past their use-by date in other respects, it strikes a chord. I will now be kind and gentle to my vinyl collection, and bring some out so they can play in the light.
  • Dirk Bag - 2012-03-02 @ 11:02am
    Love the sentiment on this one. Very nice production overall with a real message too. Thanks for posting.
  • Nam June Robot - 2012-03-05 @ 05:33pm
    Great SONG!! Banjo is perfect for this. Love the lyrics
  • Fuzzy - 2012-03-06 @ 08:35am
    How sad; all those unlistened-to records being dumped. Great tune, though - requiem for the vinyl. The percussion really moves this one along. Nicely done!
  • caterwauler - 2012-03-06 @ 09:44am
    Love the percussion and the epic feel. The vocals are passionate, they fit your topic well. The sound reminds me a little of The Pogues.
  • Chip Withrow - 2012-03-07 @ 04:37pm
    Wow, wow, wow. Brilliant all-around. That "cut, drilled ..." chorus is haunting and irresistible. I get the Pogues reference. I'm also thinking Arcade Fire.
  • Dragondreams - 2012-03-08 @ 03:03am
    :D This is just so clever in so many ways! And it resonates strongly with this long-standing, die-hard vinyl fan. Wonderfully zany idea for a song, and delivered brilliantly!
  • Rick Amorphis - 2012-03-11 @ 07:41am
    Wow, an impassioned statement on the current state of the music biz by using the metaphor of old vinyl records. So many good lines here...the one about loving the needle got my attention, and then I realized it was a record needle...that's a great payoff! "And the people even paid"...haha seems like a prehistoric era now. Love the proto-military drum march and as always, your voice rings out clear and true. Great one, Max. ;)
  • petemurphy - 2012-03-13 @ 01:37pm
    Oh, some of my favourite albums of all time sold pretty much zero copies. Really cool song, Max. I like that insistent snare roll thing especially on the 'cut, drilled and cornered' part.
  • darcistrutt - 2012-03-15 @ 10:01pm
    Like the beat driving this! My son "discovered" my LP collection when he was in college and took my turntable and some records back to college with him. I received a priceless phone call "You know that Wings Venus and Mars is a real solid album". Yes my son...that would be Paul McCartney - a few people thought he was pretty good :-) I think turntables are still around and popular with some of the next generation.
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-03-16 @ 11:50am
    I think it is fun that you used a banjo on this one. Makes it more tongue in cheek. This song has so many metaphors. Really well thought out and produced. BTW..vinyl has enjoyed somewhat of a comeback. Dan Hicks did one not too long ago. He did a vinly and accompanying CD
  • randyxpher - 2012-03-17 @ 10:20am
    As a dedicated browser of cutout bins back in the day, the topic speaks to me. But what speaks to me more is the cool, unusual setting you put this song in - it's frenetic but never abrasive, and a lot of fun to listen to. I loved it!

Soundboard Messages

  • sapient - 2012-01-16 @ 03:14am
    Once more! Looking forward to getting going?
  • Steffan Pitzel - 2012-01-16 @ 01:31pm
    Again!?
  • Eric - 2012-01-16 @ 02:26pm
    Nice to see your familiar face!
  • dustymason - 2012-01-16 @ 04:08pm
    MAX...Once in a blue moon Trash Train shuffles itself to the top of the heap. Love it.
  • cts - 2012-01-17 @ 06:36am
    Max is taking it to the max yet again. Good to see you, man.
  • orinoco - 2012-01-17 @ 08:31am
    Hey Max, and happy new FAWM. Good luck with it :-)
  • Echo Voodoo - 2012-01-17 @ 06:41pm
    Greetings and good wishes for the current FAWM!
  • Valerie Cox - 2012-01-17 @ 08:22pm
    Hi Max. I guess we're having a go at this again. Glad you are back.
  • Chasing Andromeda - 2012-01-17 @ 08:30pm
    Right back at ya, buddy! Looking forward to your work!
  • Eric Distad - 2012-01-17 @ 08:49pm
    Welcome back Max! Good to see you here! Hope FAWM #7 is your best yet!
  • Nancy Rost - 2012-01-17 @ 09:03pm
    Good to see you (and your FAWMshirt) back here!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-01-17 @ 10:17pm
    Hi Max! Good to see you here. Maybe another collab?
  • Benjamin J Spencer - 2012-01-18 @ 01:28am
    Thanks Max, have a great FAWM!
  • Vom Vorton - 2012-01-18 @ 02:52am
    Cheers! Hope your FAWM is a good one... to the max!
  • AXL - 2012-01-18 @ 03:37am
    Hi Max. Good to see you again!
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-01-18 @ 03:51am
    And here's to a productive MaxFAWM. (but who wil have the last word? ;)
  • Matt Pierce - 2012-01-18 @ 04:48am
    Thank you for recognizing me! Here's hoping that your fawm turns out the way you want! :)
  • Girls In Uniform - 2012-01-18 @ 09:56am
    Keep it unreal, Max. Best of luck for FAWM 2012. :D
  • Billy Sea - 2012-01-18 @ 10:39am
    Hi Max, looking forward to another wonderful wonderfilled February :)
  • oddbod - 2012-01-18 @ 11:28am
    Hi Max, I appreciate the sentiment of the message, if not the rather impersonal "cut & paste" content ;)
  • Greg Lines - 2012-01-18 @ 02:26pm
    Good luck Max! I'll be keeping an eye, and I'll be back next year for sure.
  • expendablefriend - 2012-01-18 @ 02:54pm
    Hey Max! And the same to you. More palm-muting this year, or a new direction?
  • Rick Amorphis - 2012-01-18 @ 03:49pm
    For me, your greeting kicks off the vibe around here...may the muse be with you, my friend.
  • Adam Hill - 2012-01-18 @ 05:52pm
    Hey Max! Hope you have a rockin' FAWM 2012 too!
  • plainwhitetoast - 2012-01-18 @ 07:24pm
    Howdy Max! Good to be back! Hope to run into you by the jukebox.
  • Phil Bearce - 2012-01-19 @ 10:06am
    Hello Max! Yes, indeed! Looking forward to it.
  • G Slade - 2012-01-19 @ 11:12am
    thanks..you as well sir
  • duaneclancy - 2012-01-19 @ 12:57pm
    Thanks Max :-) I have been excited about it ever since kevinemmrich posted a link on another site. It took me a month to figure how to get logged in ... but ain't gonna run me off, even with a big ol stick now. That's right ... kickin' it old school with the big dogs now :-)
  • Marie Tueje - 2012-01-19 @ 01:11pm
    Thanks for stopping by. Happy FAWMing to you too, Max!
  • Donna - 2012-01-19 @ 02:23pm
    Thanks for your wishes, Max. Wishing you a great FAWM! :) Not sure how active I'll be this year. Got a few pressing matters on the agenda in February. Might get one or two lyrics on board, but likely not many more.
  • jamkar - 2012-01-19 @ 03:05pm
    Thanks for the welcome Max. Have a real good time!
  • ThetaU - 2012-01-19 @ 03:12pm
    Thanks for the note => BTW I checked out your stuff and I like. Good luck this year
  • Tom Slatter - 2012-01-19 @ 03:37pm
    Thanks Max, looking forward to hearing your new songs too.
  • toms - 2012-01-19 @ 05:18pm
    Thanks, and I'm another looking forward to some tunage from you! I just want to get this thing started, already! :)
  • punker96 - 2012-01-19 @ 06:54pm
    Hey Max, Good luck this year buddy. Thanks for the kind words friend. Your list of influences is looking good as well! Nice to see artists like Billy Bragg, Stiff Little Finger, The Ramones, and of course NOFX on someones list. I'll be back on your page for some tunes this February for sure!
  • Rose Deschamps - 2012-01-19 @ 09:53pm
    Thanks Max! You too :) hope it's rocking.
  • Karan - 2012-01-20 @ 06:12am
    Welcome back and happy FAWMing! :-)
  • F.A.B. - 2012-01-20 @ 09:32am
    We thank you, good sir, and a fab Feb to you, as well!
  • jonniegrunge - 2012-01-20 @ 10:34am
    Hi Max! Thanks for the welcome. And I'm glad you dig my EP. By your list of influences alone, I'm looking forward to hearing music from you!
  • The Contortionist - 2012-01-20 @ 11:24am
    Cheers! You too!
  • willard cody - 2012-01-20 @ 12:06pm
    Thanks, you also have a nice one!
  • John Crossman - 2012-01-20 @ 02:42pm
    Hey max, it's literally encouraging to see you back here. Ready, set....
  • randyxpher - 2012-01-20 @ 08:09pm
    Thanks for the welcome, Max. This is gonna be fun.
  • plainwhitetoast - 2012-01-20 @ 08:34pm
    I am whittling away at my lists and/or seizing on whatever presents itself. I have more ideas for green screen scenes. I need to work out a better lighting rig than the impromptu one I use now. Lighting is key to chroma key. It's fun to experiment with. I hope you do!
  • mojo - 2012-01-21 @ 08:44am
    Maow mrrrew *purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*
  • Juha Keranen - 2012-01-21 @ 11:28am
    Another ordeal ahead of us, eh? :) Good luck!
  • explodingmary - 2012-01-21 @ 06:11pm
    Looking forward to your wonderments, Max!
  • managerjohn - 2012-01-21 @ 09:30pm
    Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this year, Mr. Max. Looks like you have quite a following here. Rock on!
  • Juha Keranen - 2012-01-21 @ 11:08pm
    Haa! Thank you very much for the compliment! :)
  • Nick Dickies - 2012-01-22 @ 08:08am
    Here's hoping you'll have a fab Feb.
  • Nam June Robot - 2012-01-23 @ 05:24am
    Last years stuff was great. Good luck this year!
  • Dick Clark - 2012-01-23 @ 07:02am
    Happy New FAWM, kid.
  • rob barreda - 2012-01-23 @ 09:10am
    Thanks for the message Max. I'm looking forward to this year's FAWM, especially since I recruited a friend of mine into the fold.
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2012-01-23 @ 04:31pm
    geen ruzie maken dit keer hahaha
  • Captain Vulpine! - 2012-01-23 @ 09:17pm
    Well if it isn't the Marvelous Max!
  • marklberry - 2012-01-25 @ 04:07pm
    Max, Should be a great FAWM this year. Perhaps we'll get a chance to collaborate. Cheers! MLB
  • radioovermoscow - 2012-01-26 @ 04:01am
    Cheers!
  • ctrl+z ctrl+z - 2012-01-27 @ 06:21pm
    MAX VANREMMERDEN, nicest fawmer I can think of .....its seems I've known you since day one, Big friggin' 20 Dozen FAWM to you friend!!!
  • lieke - 2012-01-28 @ 05:37am
    Thank god it's FAWM again!!!! veel plezier en inspiratie!
  • thomasaram - 2012-01-28 @ 09:31am
    um, vrij veel fans hiero
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-01-28 @ 03:21pm
    Hey Max, I'm back! I think I'll join. In fact, I'm quite sure. Have already set up my bandcamp for the FAWM (hidden). Am not sure I will reach the 14, and I will not really try. I have an important gig the 12th of February, for which I need to rehearse a lot. And some other important gigs in May for which I also have to rehearse (and learn, since they're covers). And then of course, there's the minor problem that I'm studying... I'll see how far I'll get :-)
  • stevekey - 2012-01-28 @ 04:17pm
    Thanks for the wish for a Fab Feb. Wishing you a fruitful, fourteen point five February too.
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-01-28 @ 06:04pm
    Yeah, now that I see Thomas Aram and Dear John are here as well.... Any more ASG'ers?
  • musicsongwriter - 2012-01-30 @ 02:23pm
    Hi Max. Looking forward to hearing your new songs :)
  • musicsongwriter - 2012-01-30 @ 04:16pm
    :)
  • nightengale - 2012-01-31 @ 09:56am
    Hi Max, glad to see you're back!
  • benjaminsson - 2012-01-31 @ 01:31pm
    Thanx Max...jij ook suc6
  • L.H.Cisco - 2012-01-31 @ 08:46pm
    Sup man?! Good luck dude.
  • slyswell - 2012-01-31 @ 11:34pm
    thanks max. have fun
  • Danalyze - 2012-02-01 @ 07:43am
    ha yes! i have two songs , how are you?
  • Tinkerbell - 2012-02-01 @ 08:37am
    Jij ook Happy FAWM, Max.
  • TheClartist - 2012-02-01 @ 04:36pm
    Thanks for welcoming me! :)
  • Errol - 2012-02-01 @ 05:36pm
    Wow! 30 years! Impressive! :D
  • Errol - 2012-02-01 @ 05:45pm
    See, if I KNEW you were married for that long, then I would have known what the song was about. ;D
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-02-01 @ 06:26pm
    Ever generous, Max! My mistake was CTRL-V to paste the title then posting. Just typing "1" would have saved those nanoseconds!!!
  • Alayna the Alto - 2012-02-01 @ 08:24pm
    Two songs on day one?! I'm still struggling to write my first! Great work. Keep it up! I love your songs! :D
  • Tally Deushane (live2tivo) - 2012-02-01 @ 10:38pm
    Thanks for your comment!
  • wander - 2012-02-02 @ 05:20am
    Hoi Max, je hebt al twee nummers geschreven, leuk! Zal ze vanavond thuis gaan beluisteren, ben benieuwd.
  • fendertele71 - 2012-02-02 @ 07:36am
    Max, thanks for your comments on Welcome Home. The song is clearly a dependence song, a very tongue-in-cheek one at that. I agree wi your thoughts on writing for a significant other, but also think there is a difference between writing FOR, writing ABOUT, and writing a love song for or about.
  • marklberry - 2012-02-02 @ 09:20am
    Max, you pumped life into the Emergency Life Raft! Cheers! MLB
  • marklberry - 2012-02-02 @ 10:41am
    Max, I made these pages for you on my website. Hope you approve. Happy to make additions/corrections/alterations. Perhaps your photographer wants a credit? "Keep the Giant Life Raft Inflated" song page: http://marklberry.com/memoir/life-raft/ Your new bio page: http://marklberry.com/the-music-artists-page/max-vanremmerden/ And you are on my MUSIC ARTISTS page under the FAWM column: http://marklberry.com/the-music-artists-page/ Cheers! marklberry
  • wander - 2012-02-02 @ 03:32pm
    10 jaar ploeteren... het is hard werken om iets gemakkelijk te doen lijken :-)
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-02 @ 10:16pm
    Thanks Max, and right back at ya! I'll be stopping by to give a listen soon because I always love your work, but this is going to be a hectic month this year. By the way, I was just in the Amsterdam airport last Sunday - from 5AM to 1PM - en route from Dubai back to Madison, Wisconsin. I always wish I had time to grab a beer with you when I pass through!
  • willard cody - 2012-02-03 @ 06:42am
    wow, nee dat wist ik niet... cool. (Enne, jij bent goed bezig: 3 dagen, 3 nummers - ik moet er zelf nog ff inkomen...)
  • Marie Tueje - 2012-02-03 @ 06:52am
    thanks for stopping by to listen to my non-playing song. there's a problem with the title because of the space which seems to not want to get fixed, so I've deleted it and I'll try uploading it later. Happy FAWMing. :-)
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-03 @ 08:03am
    Hey Max, thanks for the tip on the YouTube link embed - problem solved!
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-03 @ 08:08am
    Definitely will plan on some extra time in Amsterdam next time through, this last trip (like most it seems) was a last minute rush. Glad you are enjoying the Sunspot videos, I am a huge fan. Not only are they amazing musicians, they are all fantastic, real people. I keep suggesting a European tour - it may be tough for them to break even on expenses but I know they would have a strong following.
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-03 @ 08:11am
    By the way, concerning Sunspot - two of their members are on FAWM: http://fawm.org/fawmers/sunspotmike/ http://fawm.org/fawmers/sunspotwendy/
  • thomasaram - 2012-02-03 @ 06:39pm
    I made one for your challenge http://fawm.org/songs/22813/
  • sexybass - 2012-02-04 @ 11:35am
    Hi Max, fixed the URL to my song Fable. Thanks for the heads up. Tom
  • musicsongwriter - 2012-02-04 @ 12:30pm
    Hi Max, thank you very much for your beautiful comment on my Valentine's piano piece. Max is my younger son and he is always a great inspiration to me. It is amazing how children can inspire us to create music/lyrics. Thank you for your support :)
  • ofishell - 2012-02-04 @ 03:31pm
    Thanks so much for your kind comment on my song, @max! I really appreciate it!
  • ofishell - 2012-02-04 @ 04:05pm
    Also, Max, just after getting your comment, I received an email from @wurzelfrau, who had added harmonies to "Rushing Out, Rushing In" - what an amazing present to receive! And, it really added depth to the song. I've got my fingers crossed for an excellent FAWM 2012!
  • kidd - 2012-02-04 @ 05:32pm
    Thanks Max! you're too kind!
  • F.A.B. - 2012-02-04 @ 05:50pm
    Thanks for the welcome Max. We have finally posted our first fabulous song.
  • DaddySchu - 2012-02-04 @ 06:47pm
    Thanks Max-- I definitely will totally revisit that. Sometimes ya just gotta get it out regardless. ;)
  • MC Hater - 2012-02-04 @ 08:16pm
    Thanks for the shout-out!
  • AquaMunkee - 2012-02-04 @ 08:40pm
    Hah-ha! Thanks for the best commentary I've ever read, and for the inspiration for my favorite composition of 2012!
  • 'Old Foot Dupree' (Danielle) - 2012-02-05 @ 12:04am
    Diwa li fanta.
  • therman - 2012-02-05 @ 01:35pm
    I just discovered that people don't get @messages, so I'm moving my comment here. If you read it already, disregard me now. Thanks for checking out the bandcamp tracks. Most of them are pretty lo-fi demos at this point, but the band's still in its infancy so things will definitely go uphill from here.
  • dftaylor - 2012-02-05 @ 05:04pm
    Max - do you do much mixing/recording with other people? I'd quite like to do a proper solo album but I don't want to use my limited engineering skills and I love your stuff. Also, REALLY loving your stuff this year. I've been so insanely busy I keep forgetting to put together some comments, but you will get some!
  • PlushBaby - 2012-02-05 @ 08:20pm
    Hello once again Max! Thanks for the lovely comment, we'll be listening to all your tunes as always!
  • wolf kier - 2012-02-06 @ 04:33am
    Max Thank you for stopping by and listening.... and "liking" it on bandcamp -- the highest praise in this digital age! I'm deeply grateful for your encouragement and support wolf.
  • wolf kier - 2012-02-06 @ 10:30am
    where's the little blushing embarrassed smilie thing? Of course, you're right. But if you do 50/90 THIS year, I'll be a fan then too. :) Again, thank you for the feedback on my work, it meant very much to me. wolf.
  • sentense - 2012-02-06 @ 02:30pm
    I'm glad you like my "dragons" - and of course I will let you know when I added the lyrics :-)
  • Timothy Bracken - 2012-02-06 @ 05:08pm
    Hey, Max...Thanks for the comment! So glad you dig the song.
  • Josh Belville - 2012-02-06 @ 05:38pm
    Max, three things: 1, I thought I had you on my watchlist but I don't. I have rectified this. 2, the opening to "Honesty" comparison to Big Star made me laugh. It's true! 3, thank you for your comments. :)
  • dftaylor - 2012-02-06 @ 05:52pm
    I think it was just as simple as I like your sounds, but no harm done. I still love your stuff and I'm glad you enjoyed mine. Now I just need to find the perfect producer for my own solo work.
  • devin - 2012-02-06 @ 08:19pm
    Thanks for your commen on "Breeze"...that *is* a Yamaha, entry level C40 nylon. Mic'd with a modded Octava 012 :-). Good ear my man!
  • Sean_T_Wright - 2012-02-07 @ 04:47am
    Max, thanks for listening and the really cool comment on the collab song with @dragondreams and @chasingandromeda
  • Lee - 2012-02-07 @ 07:59am
    HI Max, thanks for the challenge reminder. I was pretty sure I had clicked it.. but apparently not.
  • nadia thomas - 2012-02-07 @ 09:53am
    MAX! thanks so much for the comment on my strange skies effort (*23664). your kind words mean a great deal, as i really respect your work!
  • wander - 2012-02-08 @ 08:22am
    Ok max thanks. I already had the feeling you were talking about my daughter. You just stay away from my daughter until she's eighteen! You don't fool me saying you're older than me. Everyone knows you are barely in your twenties and dyed your hair gray in order to get some kind of elderly statesman credibility... (sorry for talking rubbish as usual, look forward to your next songs)
  • wobbiewobbit - 2012-02-08 @ 12:49pm
    thanks Max :)
  • Jesse - 2012-02-08 @ 01:05pm
    Thanks for the nice comment, Max, and as usual, your songs are sounding great!
  • bmullany - 2012-02-08 @ 02:40pm
    Question from aa newbie: I've goot a song in a playlist in itune. I converted from youtube to MP3 but I don't know the URL so I can post the song as mp3 on FAWM Suggestion ?
  • Chasing Andromeda - 2012-02-08 @ 04:35pm
    We're clairvoyant...by the way, that next track you write is killer. I've already heard it. ;-)
  • Hammersmith - 2012-02-10 @ 11:17am
    If you plan to do more reggae, you should check out this thread first... http://fawm.org/forums/thread/3041/#fawmHeader
  • ange - 2012-02-11 @ 03:35am
    :) Thank you so much for all your lovely comments. x ... "I have a fan in amsterdam"...there's a song in that ;P
  • mojo - 2012-02-11 @ 09:09am
    Mrrrrr!
  • ChelseaSueAllen - 2012-02-11 @ 12:46pm
    Max thank you so much for your feedback!!
  • ange - 2012-02-12 @ 01:42am
    You know I said "there's a song in 'you've got a fan in amsterdam'?" we'll... Song #6 'ive got a fan!' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkGTfa-uYs
  • sentense - 2012-02-12 @ 10:05am
    Sorry, there won't be vocals for the dragons. I gave up that idea. It turned out that it's far beyond my abilities:-(
  • DaddySchu - 2012-02-13 @ 03:13am
    Hey Max.... we are hosting a foreign exchange student this school year. She is from Velsen. :)
  • The Din - 2012-02-13 @ 08:20am
    So if I'm the bad example for people to look at so they don't do the wrong thing, should I just keep things the way they are so everyone can view how not to do this?
  • ThetaU - 2012-02-13 @ 08:32am
    You really know how to work the crowd. I'm learning by just watching what you're up to
  • jamkar - 2012-02-13 @ 09:06am
    Thank you for your kind comment on my collab with Nadia and Richard. I notice some familiar influences, so I will be following your works!
  • musicsongwriter - 2012-02-13 @ 09:23am
    Thank you very much for your beautiful comment on my collaboration with Richard and Mike. I've enjoyed very much collaborating with them. Congratulations on your amazing songs Max. I absolutely love what I heard and I will listen to more. Amazing work!!!
  • The Din - 2012-02-13 @ 09:43am
    No. You singled me out as a bad example for everyone to look at. That was unnecessary to get your point across.
  • DaddySchu - 2012-02-13 @ 01:13pm
    I've not been learning any Dutch... :) It is very interesting to compare the way education works between here and there.
  • helenaustin - 2012-02-13 @ 03:55pm
    thank you SO much for all your kind comments!!!
  • raygungirls - 2012-02-15 @ 10:57am
    Thanks for coming by to check out my Untitled #2 song a while ago. It's now called "Raise Your Voices". I've just added vocals to it. So, hope you can come by and check them out - http://fawm.org/songs/22216/
  • Heidi W. - 2012-02-15 @ 01:54pm
    Really enjoying your tunes, Max! :) Great work.
  • nightengale - 2012-02-15 @ 08:11pm
    Thank you Max for your nice comments!
  • Brandon Cook - 2012-02-16 @ 05:58am
    Thanks for the comment max. . I love'd "she's Right Again".... i"d pay for that dowmload.. you have a nice punk feel... put a little more time into "the Final words" i think i could fall in love with that song also...
  • arthurrossi - 2012-02-16 @ 06:33am
    Max, thanks a lot for your nice comment!!!
  • Dirk Bag - 2012-02-16 @ 12:59pm
    Max, sorry for not getting back to you before now, I'm still trying to find my way around the site (being a newbie and all). Anyway, I don't know if we do know each other or not (probably not) but that could easily change. Do you fancy trying a collaboration next week sometime? I live a couple of doors down from Sapient and would love to try and see if we can write something together. (Also, really enjoying your contributions, even although I don't always leave comments. Must try harder...)
  • Heidi W. - 2012-02-16 @ 06:10pm
    thanks Max! :)
  • Valerie Cox - 2012-02-16 @ 07:17pm
    Hi Max. Thanks. Glad you liked it.
  • wander - 2012-02-17 @ 02:24am
    Hey Max Just wanted to say I really appreciate you take the time to listen to my songs and leave a comment.
  • tinam - 2012-02-17 @ 04:03am
    i see your quite a detective & you found a pic of us....i am on the right! thanks for comments & listening i also see your 1st song has 85 comments ..is that some sort of record?
  • tinam - 2012-02-17 @ 07:55am
    how did you find the videos!!? ive not mentioned them here ...theyre a few years old but we are still very proud of them as we made them completely on our own in my lounge.....they were so much fun to do ...so much fun that we gave up music & made videos for over a year
  • headfirstonly - 2012-02-17 @ 11:56am
    Thanks for the comment - very flattered by the comparison to Jona Lewie!
  • the awkward sleep - 2012-02-17 @ 12:26pm
    thanks for the kind words... you are watchlisted :)
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2012-02-18 @ 08:58am
    Dank je ... euh (suppressing the urge to write Dutch) ... Thank you for the nice comment!
  • Lara - 2012-02-18 @ 09:32am
    thanks, max- I have to take my son to a math tournament this morning. Math at ungodly hours, and on a Saturday, no less, and he likes it.
  • Nick Sypniewski - 2012-02-18 @ 09:45am
    Hey Max, thanks for the comment on my slump song. It ain't much, but if it got you moving, maybe there's help for it... :-) Thanks again.
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-02-18 @ 05:17pm
    Hello Max, thank you for the generosity and care you give the FAWM community not only in the song comments, but also in your gentle steering and opening of new doors in the forums.
  • samsorrow - 2012-02-18 @ 07:30pm
    Thanks for your comment on my punk song about furniture. It was fun to write/perform so I am glad it was fun to listen to.
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-02-20 @ 06:44am
    Doppio. Right. THank you. I'm afraid it's just Moccona here. I stopped smoking long ago but still can't totally turn away from Douwe Egberts, even if it is Sara Lee cross-dressed.
  • G Slade - 2012-02-20 @ 09:14am
    Thanks for the love on "Broken Family".. it seems to get the point across and I'm glad for that
  • darcistrutt - 2012-02-20 @ 09:27am
    Thanks Max! It was great fun doing the "skunk" challenge with you all! I feel like a FAWM sister now :-)
  • wander - 2012-02-21 @ 08:17am
    I have always loved neighborhood songs like Penny lane and Strawberry fields forever. I also wrote a song about the Amstel river and once I even had a plan for a big project writing hundreds of songs about Amsterdam streets ... must have smoked too much in my youth.
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-21 @ 11:13am
    Thanks for your honest comment on my song 'Woman'. I think you may be right. But I kind of did it on purpose. To start the listener of with a feeling like 'Oh, just another song about a drunk one night stand' (your words, not mine), and then at the end, leave them off with the feeling 'Oh, my! He actually does love her!'. It's sort of 'my thing' to do things like that, but I'll really take it into consideration! It may be good to do 'the expected' instead of 'the vague, the interesting' on certain tracks. And I think this one might be one of those songs.
  • keithwiseman - 2012-02-22 @ 08:51am
    Thanks for your comment... I really appreciate it. Never heard of that band before.... just finished checking them out on youtube.... excellent, I'm now a fan... thanks for that!!
  • Timothy Bracken - 2012-02-22 @ 08:54am
    Man, you work FAST! Good job.
  • Dirk Bag - 2012-02-23 @ 07:15am
    Hi Max, count me in for Saturday 14th April...
  • Dirk Bag - 2012-02-24 @ 01:28am
    Hi Max, I was thinking more like one or two... As for a collaboration after Fawm, that would be great. Let's keep in touch.
  • sentense - 2012-02-25 @ 07:26am
    There are vocals on the dragons now :-D Not by me but by @karan, who actually can sing ;-)
  • wander - 2012-02-25 @ 08:21am
    Thanks Max, of course we will play our collaboration song the 14th. Did you already listen to(*28736)?
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-26 @ 05:51pm
    Hey Max, I re-recorded my song 'Woman', featuring the two replaced sentences you suggested! Thanks for the feedback. I figured it was the better choice in the end.
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-27 @ 01:53am
    Thanks, I like it a lot myself too. :-)
  • stewbalm - 2012-02-27 @ 10:41am
    I'll be in Amsterdam 12 - 18 of March (for Jam in the Dam - Keller Williams, moe., Mike Gordon, etc.). If there's time for a pint, let me know. Talk FAWM, etc...
  • ofishell - 2012-02-27 @ 05:18pm
    Hey, Max! You may already have your 1/2 song ready for this Leap Year, but if not, would you like to collaborate? I'd be happy to write and send you some lyrics! Het zou leuk zijn!
  • Terrill Thompson - 2012-02-27 @ 06:25pm
    Ain't Got No (Aint No) Got No singalong remix is up: http://fawm.org/songs/30555/ Thanks for singing along!
  • ofishell - 2012-02-27 @ 08:43pm
    Or, if you're interested and would like to make it more surreal, send me some lyrics in Dutch (I took two semesters of Dutch in college, and could probably pronounce everything almost correctly)... :)
  • ofishell - 2012-02-28 @ 07:36am
    Thanks, Max!!
  • ofishell - 2012-02-28 @ 07:36am
    Hey, Max! Yay! Let's see if we can make something stick...so happy to be working with you for the 1/2 song! You rock!!!!!! :)
  • ofishell - 2012-02-28 @ 08:04am
    No worries if it's not doable, my friend! Enjoy the songs you're working on!
  • stewbalm - 2012-02-28 @ 03:29pm
    Hey thanks!! If I can make it, I'll be there for sure.
  • Roy de Smet - 2012-02-29 @ 09:18am
    Re-recorded the solo in 'You Dance While I Serenade You'. Better now? *21488
  • stewbalm - 2012-02-29 @ 12:43pm
    I'm listening to Songs to Take Home on band camp right now...very cool!!!!!
  • ofishell - 2012-02-29 @ 06:09pm
    Max, I adore you! So looking forward to hearing it! I'll go ahead and add the song now, and you can add the .mp3 link when you're ready. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm honored!
  • ofishell - 2012-02-29 @ 07:30pm
    MAX IS THE MAN!!!!
  • Tim Fatchen - 2012-03-01 @ 06:58am
    I think of us as a pair of bookends, Max, enfolding the world and the songs along the long, long shelf of FAWM between us!
  • Dirk Bag - 2012-03-02 @ 11:55am
    Max, once more, thanks for the kind words, and also all the great songs you have posted yourself. I like the chameleon-like way you can change from song to song. Really looking forward to April 14th.
  • Rod Johnson - 2012-03-02 @ 06:46pm
    Adam and the Ants! Interesting. Thanks for showing me a different way to look at that song.
  • arthurrossi - 2012-03-03 @ 08:30am
    Max, I would like to thank you very, very much for your kind and thoughtful comments! I appreciate it a lot!
  • tinam - 2012-03-04 @ 09:05am
    thank you max for the compliments i am realy flattered
  • stewbalm - 2012-03-12 @ 06:21am
    Hey...not sure if I'll make the open night because of travel...but will be in town the rest of the week if you're up for a coffee or drink. I've been really loving the Songs for Home ( think that's the title...it's 4 am...minds a little groggy!). Really loving it! Thanks!

  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2012-03-16 @ 05:31pm
    Hi Max Thank you for comments on my songs. Maybe we can collaborate again next FAWM!