Sunday, August 23, 2026

Songs 2011February Album Writing Month Max Vanremmerden FAWMAX @max FAWM.ORG

 

FAWMAX 2011 FAWM FEBRUARY ALBUM WRITING MONTH


2011 Songs

1History Repeats68 comments // 1 month ago
2I Feel Your Love48 comments // 1 month ago
3That's Alright23 comments // 1 month ago
450 Euro Down The Drain29 comments // 1 month ago
5Build A Wall23 comments // 1 month ago
6Don't Think I'm Wrong (with  menbah)12 comments // 1 month ago
7 Psychic Driving27 comments // 1 month ago
8Tiptoe15 comments // 3 weeks ago
9Waiting for Spring (with  sherrycanary)17 comments // 3 weeks ago
10 Surfin' The Canals Of Amsterdam (with  sapient)27 comments // 3 weeks ago
11Take the High Note Road9 comments // 3 weeks ago
12Perfect Vacuum11 comments // 3 weeks ago
13 Sandbags10 comments // 2 weeks ago
14One Of Those Days8 comments // 2 weeks ago
15Confession Hour10 comments // 2 weeks ago
16Sweet Memories (with  plainwhitetoast)7 comments // 2 weeks ago
17 I Have Tried29 comments // 1 week ago


MAX VANREMMERDEN / FAWM 2011 Archive

1. History Repeats

2011-02-01 @ 06:52am
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop

THANKS FOR LISTENING ►http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I play live.
Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
Any and all feedback welcome.

Lyrics

I’M GONNA FIND ME A WAY TO SURVIVE
TRY TO MOVE ON I WILL NOT RISK MY LIFE
KEEP MY EYES OPEN WHILE YOU’RE ON THE THRONE
AND REALISE THAT I AM ON MY OWN

IT’S CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU DON’T LIKE YOUR PEOPLE TO FEEL FREE
MAKE BELIEVE THAT THIS IS REALLY A DEMOCRACY
STILL YOU USE YOUR POWER TO SPREAD FEAR AND HATE
HISTORY REPEATS, YOU LIE, DISCRIMINATE

I’M FEELING SICK OF ALL YOUR NEW LAWS
THE MAJORITY KEEPS ON GIVING YOU APPLAUSE
I HATE MYSELF FOR NOT FIGHTING YOU
BUT IN THIS SITUATION IT’S THE BEST THAT I CAN DO

IT’S CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU DON’T LIKE YOUR PEOPLE TO FEEL FREE
MAKE BELIEVE THAT THIS IS REALLY A DEMOCRACY
STILL YOU USE YOUR POWER TO SPREAD FEAR AND HATE
HISTORY REPEATS, YOU LIE, DISCRIMINATE

I’M LOST IN A WORLD THAT’S NO LONGER MINE
HOPING FOR DAYS YOUR BACK-UP WILL DECLINE
DREAMING OF A REVOLUTION
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • P.M.C.O. - 2011-02-01 @ 07:03am
    Great theme musically. Mellow vibe for big subject. I love the vocal's warm sound. Have a great month!
  • Matt Pierce - 2011-02-01 @ 07:05am
    I like the message, as well the unique rhythmic flow! Great job!
  • Donna - 2011-02-01 @ 07:40am
    I love the way your mellow vocals contrast with the drama of the message. I also like how the intense rhythm underpins the tone/mood. Good work, Max. ;)
  • Scott O. Clamp - 2011-02-01 @ 08:00am
    I love that the same tension built into the lyrics is also expressed through the subtle, buttoned-down groove. I think I would have screwed it up by thrashing out at some point, and this absolutely benefits from your restraint. Wise. Well done!
  • Face of Einstein - 2011-02-01 @ 08:04am
    Besides the vocal content which has already been covered, the simplistic guitar riff was both somewhat odd and very appealing. I'm usually more of a music driven listener, but as this is a vocal driven song, it held me right to the very end. Loved the fade out by the way.
  • Chasing Andromeda - 2011-02-01 @ 08:25am
    This is an example of a really well-done political song. It is obviously current, yet it could apply to so many historical situations. Truly timeless. Excellent start, Max. I enjoyed it!
  • devin - 2011-02-01 @ 08:47am
    Nice start Max...I like the catchy lilt to the music and vocals, yet somehow you're creating tension in both to match the lyric...good alignment!
  • Phil Norman - 2011-02-01 @ 08:50am
    Nice jam, nice message.
  • Kato Ninetails - 2011-02-01 @ 08:55am
    cool, digging the rhythm on the guitar - nice tone as well.
  • Psy-T - 2011-02-01 @ 09:33am
    Awesome start, Max. The restraint works great. Downloaded. :D
  • Steffan Pitzel - 2011-02-01 @ 09:45am
    Cool beans. I love the way you just keep it straight grooving throughout.
  • brzan - 2011-02-01 @ 11:14am
    I like the guitar, the groove. Nice easy flow for the lyrics to ride on. Found myself wanting to hear a bridge in there, but a good way to kick off this year's FAWM.
  • marklberry - 2011-02-01 @ 11:31am
    Max, Way to get one up on the board. Bravo! Cheers! MLB
  • Hero - 2011-02-01 @ 11:59am
    The muted guitar sound really works wonderfully here.
  • Steven Wesley Guiles - 2011-02-01 @ 12:36pm
    Ooohhh...loved it the second it came on the jukebox. Reminded me a bit of David Bowie vocally. You sound like an English speaker to me. And an English singer. :)
  • lieke - 2011-02-01 @ 01:57pm
    Hey Max! What a great start! I love the guitar sound...
  • sheilerk - 2011-02-01 @ 02:03pm
    I personally want to keep revolutions as far away from me as possible, but not when it comes to this song!! Great write, music and vocals, and I'd never know you weren't a native speaker of the language. Awesome!!
  • mattblick - 2011-02-01 @ 02:32pm
    Great vocals, two nice interlocking guitar parts . Would have liked the chorus to go up a little in range for variety, BTW - love your 5 second song album BTW2 - don't know about correcting your English (which is fine) but not a big fan of ALL CAPS!
  • lonelyrobot - 2011-02-01 @ 02:45pm
    Wow! It's quite bitter. Love the feel of the muted guitar, reminds me a bit of Jack Johnson type stuff ... and I mean that as a compliment! :) Looking forward to #2
  • Neil - 2011-02-01 @ 02:58pm
    What @psyt said exactly - the restraint is positively tantric - I was bursting for a J.Mascis/Nirvana type explosion of mangled electric guitar at the end. Really - a cracking start.
  • Roy de Smet - 2011-02-01 @ 03:05pm
    Nice one, Max!
  • Steven Davies - 2011-02-01 @ 03:09pm
    Great Lyrics. Some really good lines in there. I loved the lyrical expression conveyed in your vocal.
  • chrishensongs - 2011-02-01 @ 03:20pm
    Dang nice! This has a latter day Johnny Cash vibe to it. Great lyrics. Strong FAWMing!
  • sakatsu - 2011-02-01 @ 03:46pm
    I really like this song. Good job!
  • joshchristie - 2011-02-01 @ 07:39pm
    Lovely intro first off....I like the staggered effect if you know what I mean. It's a lovely and low key track (as in it doesn't build up or change loads, giving it a certain mystic appeal). Nice!
  • friendof - 2011-02-01 @ 09:04pm
    Fantastic start!!! :) Totally hypnotic and I am totally relating to the last verse!
  • dreamscuba - 2011-02-01 @ 10:08pm
    I really like this. Great beat.
  • Greg Lines - 2011-02-02 @ 12:27am
    Hey Max - what an awesome start! Someone already said Johnny Cash and that was what what I thought immediately. Excellent vibe, really strong lyrics - nice one mate!
  • mikesocarras - 2011-02-02 @ 01:19am
    One of my 5 star ratings...
  • Haole Wolf - 2011-02-02 @ 05:05am
    Love the muted groove and narrow-range vocals -- they keep the dreamy quality intact while the guitar always threatens to break free of the song and start its own revolution of sound...
  • Hannah O'Reilly - 2011-02-02 @ 08:34am
    This is like a Muse song, except actually awesome. Your deep voice is sexy as hell. I see it as the closing credits song for the next dark angsty film. Ace.
  • Rick Amorphis - 2011-02-02 @ 08:52am
    Really like the tension you have going here. This would very effective as a soundtrack to some world events at the moment.
  • willard cody - 2011-02-02 @ 09:51am
    Great man! Gloria Gaynor ("I Will Survive") meets Tindersticks-ish :-)
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-02-02 @ 12:10pm
    Love the guitar line and the sepulchral vocals. The scary thing is that I have no idea what country you're writing about. I did find myself wanting it to speed up or build more in intensity -- would be very effective to do that, then come back to the simple basic riff.
  • aholla - 2011-02-02 @ 02:53pm
    Like the words and love the darkness of the song. Nice work!
  • Ben Carroll - 2011-02-02 @ 04:13pm
    this is such a classic chord progression. and your voice really suits it. i can imagine hearing this on a film, and i'd think it was something uber-cool from 30 years ago that i wasn't hip enough to know about. (this is actually third time i've come back to it. there's something about it that's got hooks into me.)
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-02 @ 06:03pm
    Pretty overwhelmed too see so many comments. Thank you all for listening and your kind words.
  • heyzach - 2011-02-02 @ 08:40pm
    So cool. Awesome groove.
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-02 @ 11:08pm
    Great vibe, almost hypnotic groove grabs you from the start and the subtle layers are fantastic.
  • angelinapowersuit - 2011-02-02 @ 11:27pm
    Your voice is oozing out of this song. Yummmm. I actually think the verses are smoother and catchier than the chorus.
  • Paper Ceilings - 2011-02-03 @ 11:48am
    I like this because the vocals really have this whole 80s thing going on but the rest of the music isn't like that. I agree, very cinematic.
  • mike skliar - 2011-02-03 @ 02:49pm
    I love this! Fantastic song and recording! One of the things I like about it that hasnt been mentioned (in addition to all the things that have been) is that its vague enough to describe many different countries and times, but specific enough to feel like an anthem of the moment. That's a very tough thing to do, and you did it here so well! Great great job!
  • Billy Sea - 2011-02-03 @ 04:33pm
    Hey Max, always a pleasure to stop by and listen to your songs. Heard this on the jukebox first and had to zip over to comment. Great vibe going on, really like this.
  • Daniel Jacob - 2011-02-03 @ 05:38pm
    What a great voice you've got there. Reminds me so much of Neil Hannon. I'm jealous! I wish I was blessed with a rich baritone like that. I can really hear this building with an intense Muse-like fervor. Welcome to my watchlist!
  • Graindog - 2011-02-03 @ 06:03pm
    Love it. Cool, sparse, subdued. Last words "Dreaming of a revolution" got lots of Dreaming and quite a mean Revolution.
  • doug52 - 2011-02-03 @ 08:35pm
    Very well done. Loved the deep mellow feel of it.
  • Mana Junkie - 2011-02-04 @ 01:31pm
    Very cool, Max. You got the goods that's for sure.
  • seemanski - 2011-02-05 @ 06:38am
    another great tune, you have got an amazing voice
  • Eric Shouse - 2011-02-05 @ 11:36am
    Love the vibe of this song. The music has a ton of energy under the deep, sort of dark vocals... It's VERY cool. I could hear this performed a bunch of different ways... It might be even cooler if you sang up higher at the choruses... Maybe up to the 'A' an octave above where you sing for the verses... It might make you have to sing louder, but that might give it more of an 'urgent' feeling... That's just a thought. Anyway, great work!
  • stealth elf - 2011-02-05 @ 01:19pm
    Really good song. Could do with some more variation in the melodies maybe but quite an enjoyable listen nonetheless.
  • third time lucy - 2011-02-05 @ 07:26pm
    Hey nice! Really digging the minimal arrangement and the deep vocs. I remember from last year that you wrote all your lyrics in all caps then, and it seems you still do -- what's that about?
  • Duke Meyer - 2011-02-06 @ 05:08am
    Great riff, good lyrics! Beautiful song!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-06 @ 05:46am
    Wow, you guys are awesome. Thank you for all your comments. Love ya!!!
  • AXL - 2011-02-06 @ 09:44am
    53 comments? WTF!? You seem to have struck a chord here, Max. I think it's in the way the lyrics suggest current events without ever giving anything away. On first listening, I had the idea it might be cool to start out with whole note organ chords and only introduce the guitar lick at the beginning of the second refrain.
  • JRamoneWI - 2011-02-06 @ 12:54pm
    Really good song! Love your voice.
  • French Cricket - 2011-02-06 @ 04:48pm
    Really stripped, but really effecting. Well done!
  • expendablefriend - 2011-02-07 @ 04:37pm
    The guitars have a very intimate, close-up feel, while the vocals feel like they're holding you at arm's length - the effect works really well, particularly on my headphones. "History repeats - you lie, discriminate" is a great line. Great stuff!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-07 @ 05:54pm
    You're all too kind!
  • sebastian6 - 2011-02-12 @ 11:06am
    I like the creeping guitar riff a lot. Good stuff!
  • L.H.Cisco - 2011-02-12 @ 11:31am
    I reeeally dig the rhythm on this one, dude. Big time.
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-13 @ 07:31pm
    Great guitars on this one, love how they are so far up in the mix. Great to hear your voice - it reminds me of someone but can't put my finger on it! Strong lyrics as well - you have set the bar high! Nicely done!
  • ZeCoop - 2011-02-14 @ 08:17am
    I love how this one rolls... The chorus hits it home. I agree with expendablefriend - I listened to it on headphones and it made it very intense. Good stuff... :)
  • Nam June Robot - 2011-02-15 @ 12:51pm
    Great song..
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-02-17 @ 05:40pm
    Ooo, I like the way your voice sounds in this one. It really flows and has a great cadence. And the lyrics themselves are well done, too. It is good to hear some new Max!
  • oddbod - 2011-02-19 @ 05:05am
    Love the chord progression in the verses and the vocal melody, they produce a classic catchy pop tune that might benefit even more from a bigger production. Excellent dramatic vocal performance too.
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-19 @ 09:09am
    The lyrics are so current and true, and we areconstantly inundated with bad news....yet your guitar work gives a great platform for listening to it. It is mesmerizing.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-23 @ 07:07pm
    Thank you all for listening !
  • jbxl3 - 2011-03-10 @ 07:23pm
    I'm a big fan of this - it's got a very Nick Drake sort of hypnotic drone to it. Well done!

2. I Feel Your Love

2011-02-02 @ 05:05am
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic banjo pop love-song valentine

THANKS FOR LISTENING ►http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I play live.
Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
A simple non-body contact love song.
Any and all feedback welcome.

Lyrics

WHEN YOU’RE IN THE HOUSE SOMEWHERE
I FEEL YOUR LOVE
WHEN YOU’RE COMING DOWN THE STAIRS
I FEEL YOUR LOVE

I FEEL YOUR LOVE GIRL
I FEEL YOUR LOVE GIRL

WHEN YOU ARE GETTING NEAR
I FEEL YOUR LOVE
WHEN YOU WHISPER IN MY EAR
I FEEL YOUR LOVE

WHEN YOU LOOK ME IN MY EYES
I FEEL YOUR LOVE
WHEN YOUR LIPS ARE CLOSE TO MINE
I FEEL YOUR LOVE

I FEEL YOUR LOVE GIRL
I FEEL YOUR LOVE GIRL

WHEN YOU’RE SHOWING ME THAT GRIN
I FEEL YOUR LOVE
WHEN YOU ALMOST TOUCH MY SKIN
I FEEL YOUR LOVE

WHEN YOU’RE REALLY FEELING FREE
I FEEL YOUR LOVE
WHEN YOU’RE GETTING CLOSE TO ME

I FEEL YOUR LOVE GIRL
I FEEL YOUR LOVE GIRL

I FEEL YOUR LOVE
I FEEL YOUR LOVE
I FEEL YOUR LOVE
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • sapient - 2011-02-02 @ 05:22am
    I'm just a big softy at heart really, and this is just a great song to hear right now. Super sound to your voice on this. And full of bouncy goodness. Like it very much indeed. And extra big plus points for sneaking the banjo in there... ;)
  • cts - 2011-02-02 @ 06:05am
    Oh yeah, Max...OH YEAH!! Your vocal reminds me of Edwyn Collins just a little. The tune had me head boppin' this early in the morning. Groovy jelly. Thanks.
  • oddbod - 2011-02-02 @ 06:15am
    i'm with @cts, there is a sort of Edwyn Collins vibe to this. its in the vocal delivery I think. Cool and nifty pop song. The ending seems a little odd though....that very abrupt fade.
  • Donna - 2011-02-02 @ 06:19am
    Love the simple honesty of the lyrics, and the way intensity builds up in the music. Wonderful vocal performance. ;)
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-02 @ 06:21am
    * googles Edwyn Collins * I never heard of the guy. I will check him out tho.
  • Neil - 2011-02-02 @ 07:35am
    HQ DIY spacehopper-pop! Ed Collins - you'll definitely know him from "A Girl Like You" off the Empire Records soudtrack featuring our erstwhile hero...remember? PS - I like the tendeness on the vocal.
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-02 @ 10:28am
    Simple and sweet lyrics. Kind of Beatlesque.Nice!
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-02-02 @ 11:52am
    Great piece of pop music. I like the way you sing it, and the guitar parts are very well done -- each guitar has its own spot and they work together perfectly. I particularly like the strum that comes in around 1:30.
  • aholla - 2011-02-02 @ 02:49pm
    I was thinking INXS - cool man!
  • friendof - 2011-02-02 @ 06:42pm
    Great start! Can't wait to hear more. Your voice really suits this longing/lusting kind of song! :)
  • Tim Fatchen - 2011-02-02 @ 09:17pm
    Good simple poppy/preppy pop tune. I enjoy your voice Max, versatile.
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-02 @ 11:20pm
    I'm definitely a fan of the "indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic" genre so far! Good use of repetition in this one Max, when I read the lyrics I questioned whether it would get monotonous but it worked well. Your voice is fantastic for this. @cts - "Groovy jelly." That guy just has a gift with words, I can't even claim to understand why, but that comment totally fits.
  • mike skliar - 2011-02-02 @ 11:59pm
    great and hugely fun pop song! really great job! this feels so natural and goes down real easy- as mentioned before, all the parts fit really well together ... nice!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-03 @ 05:14am
    Starting to like it myself as well :) Really content with how the bigger audio file sounds on the stereo! I'm almost dancing to my own song. I'm going to continue with the indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic genre fosho.
  • gooseran - 2011-02-03 @ 10:05am
    Wow, love it.
  • Paper Ceilings - 2011-02-03 @ 11:44am
    Very good. Definitely not what I expected from reading over the lyrics first. The English is good, too.
  • Daniel Jacob - 2011-02-03 @ 05:35pm
    This is great. There seems to be so many inspirations in the this song.... part u2, part The Doors, part The Divine Comedy. The simple pure lyrics really do the song a great justice. I'd not change a thing.
  • Graindog - 2011-02-03 @ 06:07pm
    Another cool song. I admire your self-control in not expanding the song into something it could be but not should be. (one of your strenghts overall). Great choices.
  • Alayna the Alto - 2011-02-03 @ 10:36pm
    I "feel" the love for this song. :D I can really dance to it. It's so catchy! I can imagine this being on a commercial for a phone or something. It has a certain quality to it. This would totally catch on for anyone. :)
  • Taylor Tay - 2011-02-04 @ 07:22am
    "Non-body-contact love song". Heh. There's no language mistakes as far as I can see. What a cool song! Your voice works really well with it, and the arrangement is great - not too simple but not too complex. The repetition makes this song what it needs to be - nothing more and nothing less. Good one!
  • Michael Aquino - 2011-02-05 @ 12:58am
    Great jangly guitar work! Catchy and fun. Popped up on the jukebox and enjoyed it. Thanks.
  • seemanski - 2011-02-05 @ 06:36am
    This is a great catchy tune, the guitar work is spot on and your voice compliments it really well.
  • timmyriordan - 2011-02-05 @ 09:02am
    It seems like this song could use more focus... what does this character really feel? JK--I'm never sure is facetiousness makes it to the other side of the internets where people read my comments. I love the repetition, I never have the guts to commit to one line as assiduously as this. And your voice sounds great again.
  • T.C. Elliott - 2011-02-05 @ 11:03am
    Good arrangement. This is deceptively simple... in other words not nearly as simple as it looks/sounds on first play. There are a lot of good bits in there that I missed at first. This one is a keeper for sure.
  • JRamoneWI - 2011-02-05 @ 05:10pm
    I like it!
  • paulotteson - 2011-02-05 @ 06:20pm
    Excellent guitar work.. and another great set of lyrics with an uber catchy melody.. The refrain is perfect.
  • third time lucy - 2011-02-05 @ 07:32pm
    haven't even heard it all the way through and i'm already singing along! too catchy! :D still digging the low vocals and small arrangements, you're onto a winner here.
  • minigmgoit - 2011-02-06 @ 09:20am
    Slick!
  • testthebest - 2011-02-06 @ 02:12pm
    Your voice is awesome and this song is perfect for it. this is going to be stuck in my head for a while. great job!
  • tomhitt - 2011-02-07 @ 07:14am
    Nice pop song. Cool feel -- looking forward to more. ~TH~ http://tomhitt.com
  • expendablefriend - 2011-02-07 @ 04:26pm
    Perfect piece of acoustic pop. This made me chuckle: "non-body contact lovesong." I think that's the title of a song just waiting to be written.... ;)
  • J. Piccirillo - 2011-02-07 @ 06:47pm
    i love in the liner notes: No body contact love song. There's a great vibe on this song, vocally its impressive. Great track, thanks
  • ristik - 2011-02-09 @ 11:15am
    Nice atmospheric little song.
  • Marie Tueje - 2011-02-09 @ 03:59pm
    There are songs that are well put together and then are just good songs. This falls into both categories, but primarily the latter. Simple and wonderful.
  • Dennis Jernberg - 2011-02-09 @ 09:36pm
    Starting with the favorite, I listen and find out just why you marked it as a favorite because it's now officially one of my favorites. I love this song. So sweet. So much electricity generated by near-contact. A pop masterpiece.
  • caterwauler - 2011-02-10 @ 11:45am
    I think it's the first time I hear your voice this way. Outstanding expressiveness. I'm won over :)
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-13 @ 07:33pm
    Great introduction! This reminds me of David Bowie in many ways - another fantastic song. Really enjoying your music this year - it feels even more developed conceptually than last year (which was an amazing one as well).
  • Whispered Candles - 2011-02-14 @ 10:57am
    Love this song!
  • Nam June Robot - 2011-02-15 @ 12:55pm
    Another great one..
  • Psy-T - 2011-02-16 @ 11:11am
    Nice and bouncy.
  • groundhog591 - 2011-02-16 @ 03:34pm
    Great tune, very catchy. I really like this!
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-02-17 @ 05:43pm
    This is such a diverse and powerful song. Nice production; sounds like this song came straight from the final album. Really digging the banjo. One day I will attempt Banjo. That day is not today. Anyway, very slick and catchy.
  • helenaustin - 2011-02-18 @ 05:05pm
    cool fun song!! and i agree with @winlocktoledo about the Bowie thing!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-23 @ 07:09pm
    Thank you all for listening!
  • Roel van Veldt - 2011-02-28 @ 08:14am
    This smooth and poppy song sounds stylistically and vocally a bit like the Doors. It has also that lazy laid-back feel of a Chris Isaak song. Well done, Max, and... I didn't know you played the banjo! Sounds great. :-) Roel
  • Laurie Stark - 2011-02-28 @ 10:22pm
    Dang, I love your voice. And your melodies are so good.
  • Laurie Stark - 2011-03-01 @ 07:42am
    re-post sorry!
  • AXL - 2011-03-03 @ 03:53am
    The arrangement and instrumentation is very slick (especially towards the beginning) and make the repetition in the lyrics work well. And the "non body contact love" vibes really come across. That said, I do miss a bridge. It's very good as it is, but with a musical/lyrical bridge to widen the scope a bit, it could become truly great..

3. That's Alright

2011-02-03 @ 05:45pm
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop

THANKS FOR LISTENING ►http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I play live.
Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
Any and all feedback welcome

Lyrics

IT’S GONNA TAKE A LITTLE LONGER THIS TIME
TO CRAWL OUT, TO MOVE ON AND FEEL FINE

THAT’S ALRIGHT

THERE’S NO NEED GIRL, NO NEED FOR HASTE
LET ALL THE PUZZLE PIECES FALL INTO PLACE
TAKE IT EASY AND TRY TO RELAX YOUR MIND

THAT’S ALRIGHT
THAT’S ALRIGHT

IN THE MEANTIME I’LL BE BY YOUR SIDE
UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOUR MOODS ARE STABILIZED

THAT’S ALRIGHT
IT’S ALRIGHT
IT’S ALRIGHT
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • Rootscauseway - 2011-02-03 @ 05:49pm
    hey....very professional recording...your vocals are great..very strong and confident.. voice sounds like a mixture of few singers who i can't place at the moment.... good tune man....
  • Chip Withrow - 2011-02-03 @ 05:59pm
    Yeah! to the groove. Hooked from the start. Intensely mellow (such a thing?) vocal delivery. I like the direct, minimalist lyric. And that percussion - tribal and groovy.
  • mindy29 - 2011-02-03 @ 06:01pm
    Oh wow I love your voice...it reminds me of the lead singer of The Tea Party (the band not the political party lol) mixed with a tiny drop of Johnny Cash. I really like how the vocals and the music coincide with each other.
  • Graindog - 2011-02-03 @ 06:10pm
    Voice sounds as a mixture of the voice of Max and the one of Van Remmerden. You're on the right track, brother!
  • greenambit - 2011-02-03 @ 11:34pm
    Nice. Rather relaxing, though the words actually seem oddly ominous. I liked it.
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-02-04 @ 08:37am
    This is great, has a feeling of something powerful just barely being held back. The riff and the rhythm pull you forward, but the verse vocals hold back. Just when you think it's going to launch into a chorus, the riff stops and the chorus slows down even more. GREAT tension, especially when you add the additional guitar parts. Really impressed with how you layer those. (One little correction though -- it should be "I'll be by your side.")
  • dunwich - 2011-02-04 @ 03:50pm
    kenficara describes it perfectly so there's not much else to say. Great vocals and instrumentation!
  • Summer Russell - 2011-02-04 @ 10:21pm
    Oh, I love your voice. With your production and the melody, it reminds me of a lot of stuff like Joy Division and The Psychedelic Furs (which I love.) Great tune. I like the way the arrangement is filled out, with your voice anchoring the higher-end instruments and complementing the bass and percussion.
  • timmyriordan - 2011-02-05 @ 08:55am
    Got my foot tapping already... Your voice sounds like the Rick Astley and Morrisey got into a fight. Smooth and grumbly at the same time. Cool song. Concise too.
  • Christopher Short - 2011-02-05 @ 11:34am
    I don't think anyone's said Ian McCulloch yet, so I'm going with that. He's always been one of my favorites for pure vocal tone, so it's a very high compliment. After three songs, the only thing I'd like to see is a bit of branching out, both lyrically and musically. These pieces are very simplistic in both aspects - which is great for a quick hit, but I'm not sure it'll sustain over 14 songs. How about adding a piece or two to the palm-muted wondrousness, for a surprise? I hear strings, accordion, even a muted trumpet if you can find the right patch (or happen to play trumpet).
  • paulotteson - 2011-02-05 @ 05:44pm
    Wonderful production! Catchy, pop heaven.. great bass vocals!
  • third time lucy - 2011-02-05 @ 07:35pm
    i'm getting a huge Nick Cave vibe here (if you're not familiar with his work: that's very high praise indeed)
  • astroboy - 2011-02-06 @ 12:18am
    Another great song, Max. I love the muted-string guitar playing on this track. Your vox are reminiscent Johnny Cash, excellent indeed.
  • dustymason - 2011-02-06 @ 10:12am
    Roxy Music-ish. Love the sparse keys in the backing with muted guitar picking. that is what I'm hearing right. I like that...went it's not so easy to sus out instrumentation. A good drone this.
  • sentense - 2011-02-07 @ 01:37pm
    i feel suddenly young again - Very "wavey" :D
  • lerpy - 2011-02-08 @ 05:16am
    Great groove, man.
  • Jeff C. - 2011-02-09 @ 12:54pm
    Oh, wow. I was listening to the jukebox today and this hypnotic goth thing came on and got into my soul....good work, Max. The vocals and the percussion both are dreamy, in that late-night sense. Cool stuff.
  • Roy de Smet - 2011-02-12 @ 05:01pm
    Groovy! I'm dancing to it, in my chair.
  • E Agner - 2011-02-13 @ 04:46pm
    Great groove! It's a funny juxtaposition of edgy nervous-tic music and kind, supportive sentiment. You sound like a native English speaker, your pronunciation is spot-on.
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-13 @ 07:34pm
    Love the melody playing with the percussion. Fantastic writing on this one and great performance.
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-02-17 @ 05:46pm
    It seems from your first few songs that you really have a grasp on what you want this year. These songs feel very...focused. With Bite. With confidence. Or something like that. Always enjoyable.
  • AXL - 2011-03-03 @ 05:06am
    I can imagine more samples/synthetic stuff coming in and out creating a full blown electronica arrangement based on your palm muted guitar riff. And then towards the "in the meantime" part the compressed kick drum and distorted snare would come in and everybody would start dancing... Well done... again :-)
  • whatsurdamage - 2011-03-05 @ 06:41pm
    Loving the groove on this one! I love your voice, it has a very powerful kind of growl to it.

4. 50 Euro Down The Drain

2011-02-05 @ 06:55pm
tags: songskirmish singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic blues

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0

Read this thread: http://fawm.org/forums/thread/1718/
Songskirmish > Challenge where you have to write a song within the hour after the title of the song has been given.
Any and all feedback welcome.

Lyrics

I GOT ON THE TRAIN
FORGOT TO BUY A TICKET
BUT NOW IT’S TO LATE
I HAVE TO PAY
50 EURO DOWN THE DRAIN

CAR IN FAST LANE
I’M FEELING HAPPY
TILL I SEE THAT FLASH LIGHT
JUST NOT MY DAY
50 EURO DOWN THE DRAIN

TAKING A PLANE
COULD I GET A WINDOW SEAT PLEASE
UPGRADE? SHE ASKS
SERVICE, NO WAY
50 EURO DOWN THE DRAIN
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-05 @ 07:04pm
    Skip the first 00:28 if you don't like long intros
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-05 @ 07:06pm
    interesting little blues, weird, but familiar all at once. very good though, i'm liking it a lot. you've been really economic with words which i like. Great ending too.
  • Christopher Short - 2011-02-05 @ 07:08pm
    Anyone who doesn't like establishing the 12-bar pattern up front can bite me (: These are some nice bassy vox with fantastic reverb. I like the doubling on the title repeats. Altogether a very nice song. Well done!
  • Billy Sea - 2011-02-05 @ 07:12pm
    Nice blues number done in your traditional awesome style. Great!
  • AXL - 2011-02-05 @ 07:20pm
    Where's the screaming guitar solo? Your voice is haunting, even in such a seemingly silly little song.
  • lapetitekiwi - 2011-02-05 @ 07:21pm
    I love the melody, so rhythmic which really suits the lyrics.
  • kathy moran - 2011-02-05 @ 07:22pm
    I liked the intro - it got me into a groove and primed me to hear your cool vocals. Too bad the ending was cut off so abruptly. I'd like to have taken that intro groove and let it carry me away for another :28, but then, I'm into symmetry!
  • Kevin Emmrich - 2011-02-05 @ 07:29pm
    I love the vocal feel to this one. Nice changing scenarios on the way to waste 50 euros. Very cool, deep down feel to the music.
  • third time lucy - 2011-02-05 @ 07:44pm
    love this guitar theme. if you wanted to drag it out a bit longer, you could round it all out with a verse about literally dropping 50 euro down the drain and needing to call a plumber :P but there is definitely something to be said for keeping it short and sweet, and i love how jarring that abrupt ending is. you set us all up with a fantastic groove that we could nod our heads to all afternoon and then yank it all away suddenly. brilliant! and all the more memorable for it. oh, and obligatory Nick Cave comparison goes here too (though he's not generally one for keeping it short and sweet).
  • Summer Russell - 2011-02-05 @ 07:56pm
    Nice guitar groove! Gonna be stuck in my head for a while. :)
  • Temily - 2011-02-05 @ 08:03pm
    I love long intros, and this riff is too good to waste on a short intro :) Love the different scenarios and the blusey-ness of it.
  • Corinne Curcio - 2011-02-05 @ 08:12pm
    Cool - Dig the vocal and guitar lots!
  • John Crossman - 2011-02-05 @ 08:34pm
    Yeah, I'm digging the lowness of it, and the bluesy guitar. Great feel to the whole thing.
  • sheilerk - 2011-02-05 @ 08:38pm
    Cool scenarios you came up with. I loved the guitar throughout, and just generally enjoyed listening!
  • T.C. Elliott - 2011-02-05 @ 09:22pm
    I was groovin on the guitar lick, a nice solid lick, and the vox came in. Very well done. Fits so well, excellent. At about the second verse I kept expecting a full drums/bass rock guitar to kick in. I think it'd work beautifull.
  • mike skliar - 2011-02-06 @ 12:31am
    great atmospheric blues! great job!
  • sapient - 2011-02-06 @ 02:20am
    This is such a painful summary of modern life... Very smooth. Very nicely done. Man, you are on fire this year...!
  • Tim Fatchen - 2011-02-06 @ 03:16am
    You could've worked in that this is much more than USD50! Another cool one Max, liked the minimalist backing too.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-06 @ 05:49am
    Listening to this after a good night sleep I think what it needs is a raw & dirty harmonica.
  • dustymason - 2011-02-06 @ 10:08am
    Harmonica....and trash-can lid percussion. Very good one-hour song
  • Scott Lake - 2011-02-06 @ 08:13pm
    Max, this is pure cool. That's all I can say. I love it. I love that you went to basement to get to the drain!
  • darcistrutt - 2011-02-06 @ 11:03pm
    Love the blues feel...and though we don't do "euros" I've seen some bucks go down the drain...especially when I see that flashlight.
  • Steven Davies - 2011-02-06 @ 11:26pm
    I love the Nick Cave feel going on here. The man is one of my inspirations so its really cool I must say. This has its own personality of course and is not nearly as long as your average Nick tune. Catchy blues captured here very nicely.
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-02-07 @ 02:09pm
    Your guitar parts are consistently excellent. And great vocal.
  • expendablefriend - 2011-02-07 @ 04:30pm
    Uber cool vibe. Don't skip the first 00:28, despite Max's suggestion! :)
  • managerjohn - 2011-02-07 @ 06:42pm
    I like the feel of this song and what you've been doing this FAWM in general. That is a great riff and nice vocals. Keep 'em comin'!
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-13 @ 07:35pm
    Great melody on this one as well! Got a real bluesy feel to it - very cool. Reminds me of Tom Waits singing the blues - fantastic!
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-02-19 @ 04:32pm
    Oh man, that opening riff blew me away. It really grabs you. What a great freakin' song. I really liked the "Upgrade She Asks" vocal-thing. That's a nice little touch. Yes.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-23 @ 07:10pm
    Thank you all for listening!

5. Build A Wall

2011-02-07 @ 03:14am
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop

THANKS FOR LISTENING ►http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I play live.
Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
Any and all feedback welcome

Lyrics

YOU NEED ME
TO FEEL STRONG AND FREE
WITHOUT ME YOU DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE

YOU DON’T GET ALONG WITH PEOPLE LIKE ME
WAY TOO SCARY
NOT YOUR FRIEND AT ALL
NOT THE TYPE OF GUY YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH, NO
YOU’RE KEEPING YOUR DISTANCE PASSIVE RESISTANCE OH

YOU PREFER TO STAY FAR FAR FROM ME
DON’T WANT TO TALK AT ALL

IS IT IGNORANCE OR MAYBE REVENGE
WHY YOU HATE ME
BLAME ME FOR THE FALL
TO FEEL MORE SECURE YOU CREATE YOUR OWN MYTHS OH
YOUR IDENTITY IS NOTHING WITHOUT ME

YOU PREFER TO STAY FAR FAR FROM ME
AND START TO BUILD A WALL

YOU PREFER TO STAY FAR FAR FROM ME
DON’T WANT TO TALK AT ALL

IT IS TRUE YOU NEED ME
YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT AN ENEMY
YOUR FEAR FOR ME HAS SETTLED IN YOUR MIND

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO UNDERSTAND
WHY I CAN’T BE YOUR FRIEND
SOMETHING TELLS YOU YOU DON’T LIKE MY KIND

WHY DO YOU NEED A SCAPEGOAT TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF
YOU’RE FEELING INSECURE WITHOUT
POINTING YOUR FINGER AT SOMEONE MAKES YOU FEEL STRONGER YOU SAY
IN A GROUP OF LIKEMINDED YOU SHOUT

YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW
DON’T WANT TO KNOW ME AT ALL
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-07 @ 03:21am
    Max, love the vocals on this one and the chord progression is just wonderful. Love the triplet guitar that comes through in the middle of the song. Great work!
  • TJ O'Donnell - 2011-02-07 @ 03:32am
    I'd love to hear the response to this song from the person it is written to. Liked the guitar too. Smooth.
  • Dan Boyle - 2011-02-07 @ 06:02am
    I like this one a lot! Got a great feel to it. Great vocal recording as well!!
  • tomhitt - 2011-02-07 @ 07:08am
    Cool - I think we all know someone in our lives who simply decided to not like us, for no apparent reason. I like the slinky, non-committal vocal styling ala Leonard Cohen (albeit an octave higher!). Shooting for a stylistic change in your playing for all 28 songs? Brave. The layering as the song progresses keeps it interesting rhythmically. There are a lot of ways to go with this song, it's full of imagery. A winner. ~TH~ http://tomhitt.com
  • oddbod - 2011-02-07 @ 07:16am
    Good song Max. Some people need animosity to exist. I love that note on all of your entries about "Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language" - I'd imagine your English is better than a lot of native English speakers ;)
  • gerrybhoy - 2011-02-07 @ 07:18am
    Good job, nice feel, vocals are very good, nicely understated.
  • sentense - 2011-02-07 @ 12:48pm
    Oh such clear and direct words so extremly nicely sung - i love that contrast, makes me smile over the whole face :-)
  • expendablefriend - 2011-02-07 @ 04:24pm
    Ah, this is so good! Especially all that palm-muted guitar-y goodness. Just because I'm nosy, did you use loops or did you play it all the way through? Great sound, if this is the direction you're going I heartily approve. Downloaded!
  • brzan - 2011-02-07 @ 09:10pm
    Really enjoyed this Max! Loved that 80's new wave feel. The lyrics flowed very well with the music.
  • Burr Settles - 2011-02-07 @ 10:41pm
    the palm-mute this is really working in this piece. I'll have to find the time to check out some of your other stuff, interesting compositional constraint. lyrically and melodically this is classic max!
  • kathy moran - 2011-02-08 @ 09:49pm
    I think most of us take it for granted that everyone has English as a first language. I like this song and think you did a great job with the English. I didn't find anything at all that didn't work well for me in the lyrics with the exception of "why DO you need a scapegoat ...".
  • Rob and Laura - 2011-02-09 @ 02:10am
    Wow, I really love this. It got under my skin from the first few chord changes, then it just keeps getting better as the beat drops. Great work.
  • Neil - 2011-02-09 @ 06:59am
    It's a great line "Build a Wall" - I like the way you've sung this. A simple solo of some sort would have been nice say something like chime bars or some vibraphone synth patch perhaps. Nice lilt to the percussion - nice the way it comes in on the first verse.
  • dustymason - 2011-02-09 @ 10:18am
    IT IS TRUE YOU NEED ME YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT AN ENEMY Yeah man, classic line. I could hear you busting out in a counter-rage at some point in the song...stepping back from the mic and laying into him/her with a raised voice. Just a thought.
  • PQ - 2011-02-10 @ 04:07pm
    Like your dark voice, this song is catchy in a non direct way.
  • lieke - 2011-02-11 @ 03:34pm
    Hey max, this is a keeper! I mean I can listen to this over and over again. remember I'm a 'dance forever'-fan.
  • Neil - 2011-02-12 @ 10:39am
    I think this one just edges out History as my favourite of yours so far.
  • Roy de Smet - 2011-02-12 @ 04:58pm
    I dig this! The guitar is very catchy. Different to what you normaly hear, but nontheless very nice!
  • E Agner - 2011-02-17 @ 12:48pm
    Great sound!
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-19 @ 02:30pm
    Hypnotic.
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-02-19 @ 04:34pm
    This is awesome. I don't know what to say! Actually, I do. This style you've created here this FAWM is something special, for sure.
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-24 @ 09:26am
    hi Max, not sure if you want my comments, but you commented on some of mine and i appreciate it, so... I liked this song a lot. It tells an interesting story without actually giving any details away. It's almost like the song itself points a finger at anyone who behaves in this way. The slightly tentative music goes well with the feeling too. Good choice using the sort of understated banjo for it. I think it's unlikely you've made mistakes in the English lyrics, in my experience Dutch people are better at English than native English speakers, however the line "in a group of likeminded you shout" doesn't quite work, in my opinion. I think it's because "like minded" is an adjective, and there needs to be a noun after it "like minded people" is more correct, you could put "a likeminded group" rather than "a group of likeminded", don't know. Really this isn't English grammar class, song lyrics are a form of poetry and listening to it, it's fine the way it is. Good song, i liked it.
  • dougdog nye - 2011-02-25 @ 04:22pm
    this was a fun listen despite the trajic lyrics. It was both catchy and fresh . Light in it's bouncyness but just dark enough tone wise to reinforce the words. Cool tune and vibe going on here.

6. Don't Think I'm Wrong

2011-02-08 @ 04:05am
tags: old-school pop rock songfathering transatlantic

It started with an innocuous Soundboard post from Menbah to Max: "Hey, listening to 'History Repeats' again makes me realize: I'd love to collaborate on a palm-muted masterpiece. If you get a bit of music you can't come up with lyrics for, shoot it my way, would ya?"

Here's what Max sent before 'Bah started monkeying with it: http://home.tiscali.nl/studio273/Audio/fawmsongfathering.MP3

After a couple days' gestation, a MAXBAH songchild was born!

Lyrics

If I'm wrong, I will leave this place and bother you no more
If I'm wrong, you can burn me down and sweep me off the floor
Heaven knows, heaven knows I've been wrong about things like this before
Heaven knows, heaven knows you can never be exactly sure

But baby, here's the thing: I don't think I'm wrong.

If I'm wrong, I'll take stock of everything that I believe
If I'm wrong, I'll re-examine every message I've received

But baby, here's the thing: I don't think I'm
Wrong about the love between us
Just ask anyone who's seen us
The know we belong together
Say the word, I'm yours forever

Comments

  • kidd - 2011-02-08 @ 04:31am
    I can totally hear a kind o Beck style vocal over this one... thats a really cool drum loop and the palm mute thing is awesome....gets me thinkin....;-)
  • pacifico - 2011-02-08 @ 08:54am
    haha, amazing idea (songfathering) CRAZY song
  • kathy moran - 2011-02-08 @ 09:53pm
    This is exactly the kind of thing I need to be listening to tonight - easy with a steady beat to keep me moving. Songfathering - what a fun idea. I'd probably try it if I had more to bring to the table. Nice job, you guys.
  • Christopher Short - 2011-02-08 @ 09:59pm
    EDIT: Finished version is up now. Comment away!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-10 @ 03:31am
    A MAXBAH transatlantic songchild is born ! Amazing @menbah, this will be in my head for ever. "But baby, here's the thing: I don't think I'm wrong" I love how you tackled the challenge at the same time. Now I can tick that box, and move on. :)
  • Ben Levinson! - 2011-02-10 @ 08:52pm
    The drum machine sounds fantastic. The whole thing really grooves even before the bass kicks in in the second verse. Vocals are also great. Very soulful. the melody fits the music so perfectly it sounds like this was written the other way around with the music as accompaniment to the primary melody.
  • ZeCoop - 2011-02-10 @ 09:08pm
    What a groovy groove of a song... :-D
  • lieke - 2011-02-11 @ 03:27pm
    Woohoo! Like the groove, "dance-able", like the different instruments, and the singing is nice. I like the climax/guitar.
  • mattblick - 2011-02-12 @ 03:20am
    Good - love the Terence Trent D'Arby type vibe. Had a 'what the' moment when the power chords came in and thought. "Ah you totally ruined it" then then the beatboxing came in and thought "no you made it more awesome" Great vocals too (and palm-muted guitar - of course!) I think this is well worth going back to post-FAWM and tightening up edits and such to perfect it.
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-13 @ 07:37pm
    Fantastic music, and extraordinary vocals by Menbah. Such a soulful track - love that organ pad, Max!
  • Catherine - 2011-02-14 @ 12:49pm
    That drum loop really is cool, and this all meshes together so well it feels like the melody and music were written at the same time - that voice was is perfect for this music. I love the guitar solo also, this is an all round groovy thang.
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-19 @ 10:56pm
    Nice collab guys, really powerful vocals and I love the solo guitar.

7. Psychic Driving

2011-02-12 @ 06:58pm
tags: songskirmish songskirmish3 singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop cameron

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I usually play live.

Songskirmish3.Read this thread: http://fawm.org/forums/thread/1849/
Songskirmish > Challenge where you have to write a song within the hour after the title of the song has been given.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_driving
Psychiatric procedure as seen through the eyes of Dr. Donald Ewen Cameron
!!!! Play this one loud on your earphones or speakers, don't know if it's laptop-build-in-speaker proof? !!!!
Any and all feedback welcome.

Lyrics

LISTEN TO ME
THROUGH THESE EARPHONES
DON’T YOU WANT TO
FORGET YOUR PAINS

I’VE GOT THE POWER
TO CONTROL YOU
WIPE INFORMATION
FROM YOUR BRAINS

LET ME ERASE ALL
THAT YOU REMEMBER
AND WE WILL SEE
WHAT REMAINS

I’M GONNA MAKE YOU LISTEN NOW
AND GONNA MAKE YOU LISTEN AGAIN

NO EMOTIONS
THEY’RE ALL GONE
ISOLATION
MENTAL CHAINS

LET ME WIPE
ALL OF YOUR MEMORIES
ORIENTATION
NOTHING STAYS

I’M GONNA MAKE YOU LISTEN AGAIN
GONNA MAKE YOU LISTEN AGAIN
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • Phil Bearce - 2011-02-12 @ 07:33pm
    Compelling amazing recording. Great song max.
  • Christopher Short - 2011-02-12 @ 07:44pm
    Great song! Reminds me of my favorite movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I like the through-rhyme, though I'm not sure "sustains" was quite the word you were looking for... you were running out of options though (:
  • Michael Kemp - 2011-02-12 @ 08:01pm
    Haha wow, yeah I guess you are the only one writing about the procedure...props for that. Great song btw. I think phylo said it best: compelling.
  • Adam Hill - 2011-02-12 @ 09:54pm
    I feel like this should be playing in the background on a movie... you know the scene, where a secret agent sneaks into the Russian embassy and plants a device for psychic driving them. Groovy! I'd like to hear the last couple lines repeated a few times for emphasis, but that's just me.
  • flipflyfall - 2011-02-13 @ 12:25am
    creepy cool. I didn't know what psychic driving actually was when I did mine - scary.
  • ArcturusEcho - 2011-02-13 @ 12:49am
    No, you are not the only one that went the psychic control route. You've got quite a driving beat here that fits the song very well. Great song and great production.
  • The Cow Exchange - 2011-02-13 @ 01:28am
    As I listen to this, I imagine the California Raisins characters dancing in a line, shaking their shribbled butts back and forth. Nice groove. And thanks for the heads-up on the title meaning something! That's really cool.
  • third time lucy - 2011-02-13 @ 03:44am
    amazingly dark and yummy. i'm gonna listen again
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-13 @ 03:47am
    Listening to this after a good night sleep I actually like what I did last night. Made some changes and updated the file just now. I might re-record the vocals at some stage later.
  • Nancy Rost - 2011-02-13 @ 10:47am
    You have the right voice for this. Very hypnotic and, well, driving! A great take on the challenge and a more interesting meaning of the title.
  • seemanski - 2011-02-13 @ 04:47pm
    I like it very much, a nice little summary of the wikipedia article in both musical feel and words. Great job.
  • T.C. Elliott - 2011-02-13 @ 06:17pm
    Good vocals, really relaxed but slightly disturbing in a non obvious way type of musical bed. Good song, though, excellent take on the challenge.
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-13 @ 08:17pm
    Really feeling that percussive guitar. Your voice is fantastic in this one and I love love love the lyrics. Very dark!
  • deleted - 2011-02-14 @ 01:45pm
    Wow, love this! The guitars are totally my thing, I love that rhythm and beat. Vocals are super smooth. I love the lyric in the verses a little more than the chorus/bridge, but that's just because I'm non-confrontational. :-)
  • astroboy - 2011-02-14 @ 10:37pm
    Love your guitar playing style. the muted strings played to this groove is awesome. I'm going to listen to this song again now...wait, am I under some spell? Great song!
  • lauralu - 2011-02-15 @ 11:06pm
    this is really cool and catchy - I almost felt like I wanted to hear a gospel-choir backing you up, Nick Cave style.
  • De Mus - 2011-02-16 @ 03:42am
    Ja, dit is een goeie! Je stem doet het fantastisch met het ritme, en het verstopte orgeltje maakt het af. Ergens krijg ik dat Stone Roses / Fools Gold gevoel... Goed werk!
  • caterwauler - 2011-02-16 @ 05:08am
    Another great rendition with your voice, I really like the mood in this. Great palm-muting too, excellent job!
  • CAHM - 2011-02-17 @ 05:12am
    This is cool dude, have you listened to Mark Lanegan at all? I really like the tone of the whole tune top job!
  • marklberry - 2011-02-18 @ 02:07am
    Love the deep voice, the back beat, and the overall effect. the lyrics remind me of a book i read about remote viewing. Dean Koonts maybe? or Michael Crighton? Cheers! MLB
  • Daniel Jacob - 2011-02-18 @ 01:52pm
    Slithery, slightly sexy and very dangerous! This song's got it. It's like the Stereo MCs and The Doors got together and made this wonderfully creepy tune. Well played, friend!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-18 @ 03:54pm
    The driving music and your voice really drew me in. Really enjoyed it
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-19 @ 02:12pm
    Yes, you are definitely gonna make me listen again Max! This is fantastic! I love the dramatic pauses, the echoes, the driving guitar rhythm... flawless production, solid song. OK, I'm gonna listen again right now... ;-) Yeah, 2nd listen brought up even more love for this song - minimalist without sounding minimalist!
  • Rob Cooke - 2011-02-20 @ 08:37pm
    Love the acoustic riff. The vocal reminds me of Jim Morrison. In fact it is quite "Doorsy" sounding. Nice song!
  • degausser - 2011-02-25 @ 05:43am
    I really like the riff.. So funkily progressive! Good vocals too.
  • whatsurdamage - 2011-03-05 @ 06:35pm
    Very cool! Love the guitar riff and your vocals, and the whole slightly sinister groove of the song.
  • barrywaynecallen - 2011-03-06 @ 11:17am
    Thanks for all your thoughtful and heartfelt comments on my songs. I am so sorry for your experiences with your brother and I wish you well. Regarding this song. I really like the beat and the repeated guitar motif and the organ accent as so percussive with the haunted icing of your voice over the top. I like your use of the "you" hypnotic command voice in the writing. Disembodied, slightly disturbing, but compelling. You have a good voice. Some suggestions to take or leave. Research hypnotic commands and incorporate more of that type of language into the song..."you have no will but my will...you hear only my voice...etc." My other suggestion would be to break into an intense bridge, sort of like Jack White does repeatedly on Seven Nation Army, when he hits the floor pedal and jumps his guitar into a whole new key. Consider a section of screaming rage. Good song! Very listenable.

8. Tiptoe

2011-02-16 @ 08:15am
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop childrens-song two-string

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I usually play live.

Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
Any and all feedback welcome

Lyrics

MAKE NO NOISE PLEASE MAKE NO NOISE
TRY TO AVOID IT’S BETTER TO AVOID
CAREFUL NOW CAREFUL NOW
WATCH YOUR STEP WATCH YOUR STEP

YOU BETTER TIPTOE PAST THE BEAST
SO IT WON’T WAKE UP

STEP BY STEP SOFTLY STEP BY STEP
IT MIGHT WAKE UP FROM IT’S LITTLE NAP
SLOWLY NOW SLOWLY NOW
BE ALERT BE ALERT

YOU BETTER TIPTOE PAST THE BEAST
SO IT WON’T WAKE UP

EASY NOW REMEMBER EASY NOW
IT LOOKS OKAY BUT IT’S ANGRY SOMEHOW
BE AWARE BE AWARE
MIND THE GAP MIND THE GAP

YOU BETTER TIPTOE PAST THE BEAST
SO IT WON’T WAKE UP

CAUSE WHEN IT DOES YEAH WHEN IT DOES
OH THERE WILL BE A TERRIBLE BUZZ
KEEP IN MIND, KEEP IN MIND
TO LOOK OUT TO LOOK OUT

YOU BETTER TIPTOE PAST THE BEAST
SO IT WON’T WAKE UP
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • Scott McBride - 2011-02-16 @ 08:36am
    This is pretty catchy. For being labeled a children's song, it can be interpreted in quite a frightening way. :)
  • philkmills - 2011-02-16 @ 08:36am
    Very good. I like the arrangement: simple, but with enough variation to be interesting.
  • James DeVries - 2011-02-16 @ 11:25am
    I like the whistling. Nice beat / groove to this. It's catchy!
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-16 @ 01:39pm
    This reminds me of Peter, Bjorn and John with the percussion and guitars. This is the coolest kid's song that I have ever heard. Another great song Max!
  • Neil - 2011-02-17 @ 05:21am
    Jonathan Richman vibes shaking down through this little story song - I can actually imagine young kids enjoying acting out, playing a game and singing this song. I saw the title and wondered if there was going to be a deep metaphor in the song like maybe when you have to pussyfoot around someone. Maybe there was and you didn't realise it!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-17 @ 05:39am
    @lemonstar "pussyfoot around someone", I wish I had known that expression before writing this one ;)
  • Vom Vorton - 2011-02-17 @ 01:15pm
    I like the riff! I see where lemonstar is coming from with the Jonathan Richman comparison too. Good stuff!
  • AXL - 2011-02-17 @ 03:45pm
    I think I'm starting to get the "indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre" thingy. Fantastic/weird idea! I really like the lyrics and the way the chorus ends. I'd like it to be a little longer though. Maybe as a variation towards the end? Anyway, great work.
  • Michael Aquino - 2011-02-17 @ 10:49pm
    This is about my mother-in-law's yorkie. This describes him perfectly. Anyway, fun song. Love the rhythm of it. Catchy!
  • CAHM - 2011-02-18 @ 02:48am
    I'm loving the rhythm of this one Max, I love how its constantly pushing you forward. The background whistling is a great touch too.
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-19 @ 11:17pm
    Love the whistling that comes in on the 2nd verse, another hooky palm-mute hit!
  • third time lucy - 2011-02-21 @ 04:26am
    why can't all children's music be so magnificently dark!
  • Ant Lion - 2011-02-28 @ 02:06am
    Wow, this has such a great forward-moving groove. Really like it.
  • Steffan Pitzel - 2011-03-01 @ 04:29am
    Dang this is grooving as hell. Awesome.
  • mattblick - 2011-03-10 @ 04:48pm
    mind the gap? Is it a tube train? Great voice and great whistling like the drop in the accompaniment on the word beast. With 2 strings we can rule the world bwah hah hah!!!

9. Waiting for Spring

2011-02-17 @ 11:41am
tags: happy jazzy acoustic pop collaboration collab spring

I got the inspiration for this while I was cleaning the refridgerator.
Imagine Maytag being my muse :-)

Sherry: I was absolutely thrilled when Max asked to do the music for this song. I have been really enjoying his music. Here you will hear a different style and Max's versatility. It is soooo happy, and I am so happy hearing it. Great job. Thank you Max!

Max: This was so much fun to do. Reading the lyrics the melody was in my head immediately. All I had to do was to record it. (I can see this song in the Maytag Musical on Broadway with 25 fridges on stage getting cleaned by 25 happy dancing/singing performers) :)
Thank you Sherry!

Lyrics

Waiting for Spring
1) I
I am
I am waiting
I am waiting for the beauty of Spring

2) I
I am
I am listening
I am listening for the robins to sing

Chorus
Wanna shed my coat
Wanna walk in the dark
Wanna hear the sounds of the ice cream man
Wanna thaw my heart
Wanna see a daffodil
Wanna catch some sun and work on my tan

3) .I
I am
I am tired
I am tired of being so cold

4). I
I am
I am feeling
I am feeling so lonely on hold

Chorus
Wanna shed my coat
Wanna walk in the dark
Wanna hear the song of the ice cream man
Wanna thaw my heart
Wanna see a daffodil
Wanna catch some sun
and work on my tan

Tag
Waiting for Spring
Waiting for Spring
Waiting for Spring
Waiting for Spring

©Sherry Somach Feb 2011

Comments

  • Shay - 2011-02-17 @ 09:28pm
    Wanna hear the song of the ice cream man - oh, I cannot wait for spring either!! lol @ Maytag. Way to work the lyrics (this fits the anaphora challenge doesn't it?) Good work ;)
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-19 @ 03:49am
    Hi Sherry, could I please try something with this one. And make a happy-feeling-waiting-for-spring song out of it? I do not promise it will work out okay, just asking permission to work with these lyrics and then let you decide. :)
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-19 @ 05:28pm
    Here you go: (edit:link that was waiting for approval) A quickie, but lots of fun :) I hope you like it.
  • explodingmary - 2011-02-20 @ 02:00pm
    an unspoiled delight in every way.
  • tinam - 2011-02-22 @ 06:36pm
    delightful song & more topical than any political thing anyone might write
  • Hannah Busse - 2011-02-23 @ 09:00am
    Very fun, evocative lyrics and performance! If I was looking forward to spring before, I'm even more excited about it now. :) This sounds pretty Jack Johnson-ish to me.
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-23 @ 10:35am
    awesome. that's all. excellent lyrics, very very well realised. i've got to agree with @tinam as well. i love the casual, groovy swing of this.
  • Shay - 2011-02-26 @ 03:19pm
    Sherry, thanks so much for pointing me back here now that the demo is up :) I still love what inspired this song. Max...You've got me imagining I'm skipping through the garden now (Oh, I wouldn't want anyone to see haha) But really, this is an excellent collab in all ways possible. Makes me happy just listening to it :)
  • AXL - 2011-02-28 @ 06:43am
    I am SO waiting for spring. Actually, today, there's a bit of it in the air :-)
  • caterwauler - 2011-03-01 @ 12:30pm
    A brilliant collab, the music fits the lyrics so well. I will make it my Winter anthem :)
  • Aaron Zvi - 2011-03-01 @ 01:57pm
    Gotta admit, I was trying to put these lyrics to music when the collab was posted. Listened, loved it, and moved on to writing more tunes. I think that was a week or two ago now. As I was getting ready for the day this morning, out of nowhere "waiting for spring" popped up in my head, and I mean the whole tune; all the lyrics, melody, harmonies, bop bop bop's in the background, as well as visions of those Maytag folk! Really top notch music and words you two!
  • the days of stickman - 2011-03-02 @ 03:31pm
    Really cool track - great collaboration. The music and lyrics have come together so well.
  • daveed - 2011-03-04 @ 06:44pm
    Feels like sunny Sunday afternoon in April. Nice job!
  • ellen liss - 2011-03-04 @ 08:08pm
    wonderful -- I love this song....esp. the "wanna shed my coat" and the rest of the chorus. Great collab.... It is like I "need" this song -- like I need vitamins. Thank you!
  • Nick Sypniewski - 2011-03-04 @ 09:36pm
    This works great!! The lyrics are simply and heartfelt and have that hopeful feeling that I've read so much about... ;-) The music matches wonderfully and it all came together excellently. Nice job - both of you.
  • Corinne Curcio - 2011-03-05 @ 07:27am
    LOL "Maytag Musical" Very cool, laid back music to match fancy free lyrics. By all means, Spring hurry up!
  • Nancy Rost - 2011-03-13 @ 10:51pm
    What a happy song. I can almost see the dance number. Love the scatting.

10. Surfin' The Canals Of Amsterdam

2011-02-17 @ 03:16pm
tags: surf bluegrass hopper metal collaboration collab

Max came round.
We drank beer.
And wrote a song :D

Max: Banjo, acoustic guitars, lead vocal
Sapient: bass, mad guitars, backing vocals

Lyrics

Rubbish is floating
Floating by
I hate the smell
I could die
Dead fish and oil
Chinese crabs and lots of waste
Still, nothing's gonna stop me
From getting a taste
Of surfing
Surfing the canals of Amsterdam

(Surf!)

Never mind the bridges
Never mind the bikes
Never mind the tourists (oh no)
I don't care, cos I like
To surf the canals of Amsterdam

I may need a shot
If I fall in
I may get hurt
The risk I can take
I may feel sick
So be it then
I may hit a dock
When I'm surfing the canals of Amsterdam

(Yeah surf!)

© Vanremmerden / Watkinson 2011

Comments

  • ryuu - 2011-02-17 @ 03:38pm
    this is mad and groovy. Yay for the power of FAWM Collaborations!
  • AXL - 2011-02-17 @ 04:42pm
    Haha, hip/cool/weird/mad shit. Make the grunt louder ("oh no") :-)
  • James DeVries - 2011-02-17 @ 04:54pm
    This is really fun. The sound is dark and gritty and fits the lyrics great!
  • Devin Hill - 2011-02-17 @ 05:05pm
    Awesome collaboration!
  • cliffface - 2011-02-17 @ 05:31pm
    This one's a total trip. It sounds like the 2 of you had a great time recording this song. :)
  • Negasi (The Walrus King) - 2011-02-17 @ 09:51pm
    Wow this is just magic to my ears...
  • Candle - 2011-02-18 @ 01:56am
    LOL! I love this one. Putting it on a mix disc for work in the not-too-distant future! See You In The Shadows…
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-18 @ 02:29pm
    It's been a couple of years since I've been to Amsterdam, but I don't remember the waves breaking very high in the canals. :) Seriously, this is an awesome collaboration and is sincerely the heaviest song that I have ever heard a banjo used in. Great work!
  • expendablefriend - 2011-02-18 @ 03:00pm
    Ha! Really, really love this. It's crazy!!! The gradual build-up through the song is amazing.
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-18 @ 04:00pm
    This is wacky delicious. What a collab!! Sapient, you are a madman and I love it! Having been to Amsterdam, the whole notion of surfing the canals is just nuts. You guys need to do more collabs!
  • sentense - 2011-02-19 @ 10:17am
    Awesome! Wow! One more for my favourite-list!
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-19 @ 02:20pm
    What a dynamic duo, great tune! Never thought a banjo would fit so well into a song like this... fantastic guitar work Sapient! Love the chatter at the end of the track too. I doubt this song would be well received by the Amsterdam Ministry of Tourism, but it gets my vote and makes me want to visit!
  • Dillon Nickerson - 2011-02-20 @ 08:24am
    this is hella awesome
  • Deaf Steever - 2011-02-20 @ 01:59pm
    Simply awesome, comrades!! Love how the metal guitar and vocals enter at about the 2:00 mark. Great banjo, too!!
  • Magnus - 2011-02-21 @ 09:08am
    There are no adjectives to describe how friggin' awesome this is.
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-22 @ 09:13am
    this is warped, but more importantly, it's excellent. Sapient, i really like your songs that go out of your "comfort zone". "mad guitar" might cover your normal output, but in this case it's mad surf guitar! Max, excellent song, this sounds like a real fun night. Glad to hear real banjo too, i like banjo, though i prefer real banjo (such as this) to sampled band-in-a-box banjo. I hope the two of you do this again sometime and write another song this good.
  • aholla - 2011-02-23 @ 01:29pm
    So good, loved the guitar at the end and wanted to hear more!
  • devin - 2011-02-24 @ 11:13am
    Fantastic groove to hang this cool tune on. Instrumentation and vocals are perfect, congrats!!
  • Sarah Wynia Smith - 2011-02-25 @ 10:29am
    This is interesting...I always had this beautiful idyllic picture in my mind of the canals in the Netherlands ever since my grandpa told me that his mother used to skate on them on her way to school as a girl. Of course, that would have been about 100 years ago at this point, so perhaps my image can live on. WRT the music, I like the diabolical feel you've got going on. This song really rocks out, and the vox and guitar rock out section are great.
  • mike skliar - 2011-02-25 @ 11:06am
    great idea, great fun!!! well done! love the whole thing, including the banjo and the great guitar solo.. when you're done, we have an east river here in nyc that needs some surfers too! :)
  • PlushBaby - 2011-03-01 @ 06:44pm
    Cool! It sounds like it should soundtrack a Robert Rodriguez film. Love the intro, it put a smile on my face, then the guitars at the end are all kinds of brilliant. I thought Amsterdam was a generally clean place?
  • orinoco - 2011-03-03 @ 03:38pm
    Bluegrass metal, I enjoyed this a lot. The melding of styles reminded me of a band called Baskery, if you've come across them - they like to combine bluegrass, folk and techno - a style they call 'Kill-Billy'... This really is great! Amazing performances on the banjo and guitars :-)
  • Cassie Truman - 2011-03-04 @ 04:13am
    Another fantastic not-quite-metal song, and I love how prominent the drums are. Banjos are an underused instrument. You make it scream like a terrified dental patient and Max's guitars work brilliantly.
  • the days of stickman - 2011-03-04 @ 12:11pm
    This is awesome! Extraordinary mix of instruments to achieve the sound.
  • Kevin Reid - 2011-03-04 @ 08:36pm
    wow, this is one the coolest collabs I have ever heard. great concept, great performance with high quality instrumentation, arrangement, and recording. excellent heavy metal finish.
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2011-03-05 @ 04:47pm
    I love the alternation between calm and busy parts, and the banjo in the background.
  • Jules - 2011-03-06 @ 10:05am
    Awesome banjo...Cool voiceover from the surfer dude... That first verse is so evocative, with its wonderfully horrible smells. Love that little (oh no!), and the changing speeds and dynamics. I am jealous of all the fun you had creating this song!
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-03-15 @ 07:29pm
    One of the best things during FAWM2011! I still love it! Thank you Sapient
  • Nancy Rost - 2011-03-15 @ 11:00pm
    This is delightfully weird. Yeah, I remember that smell when I was in Amsterdam in the 1970s. I love the way this mixes up the styles of both of you. Sounds like a blast; hope you do more.

11. Take the High Note Road

2011-02-18 @ 02:31pm
tags: weird falsetto challenge road-song

This one is done for the falsetto challenge
http://fawm.org/forums/thread/1999/

Yesterday I thought singing with @sapient would ruin my voice, but this really hurts. The lyrics are improvised, the voice terribly out of tune, but eh the challenge is done. Thank you @bong for the challenge.
( :) hehe, the google ads on the right say: voice training)

Now back to the indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre and the comfortable voice.

Lyrics

Improv:

Come my baby
Lets take the car

No direction
go anywhere
Never stop
just us out there
on the road to love

Oh my baby
tell me where to go
Steer the wheel
till you feel at home

and we will ????

Go go where it takes us
Go to the land of love

Hold my hand
????? will drive ??????
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • sapient - 2011-02-18 @ 02:45pm
    Bloody hell! Is that really Max? Can't be the same bloke that was round here last night. Oh no. Can't be... This is really good, isn't it? A *real* surprise hearing you like that, but it works! And well done for giving it a go :D
  • expendablefriend - 2011-02-18 @ 03:02pm
    Aw......sing falsetto more often, Max. This is so pretty. Not just the vocals - the guitar layers, too. *happy sigh*
  • Donna - 2011-02-18 @ 03:21pm
    Oh, what gorgeous music and melody. :) Wonderful guitar. I love love LOVE the falsetto! :P
  • bong - 2011-02-18 @ 05:51pm
    See? See? They love! I love it too. You were destined to sing in the falsetto. This was really lovely. (My google ad right now is also about singing lessons.)
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-02-18 @ 08:49pm
    A very sweet song. Nice vocals, they really fit the wonderful guitar work.
  • loljosh0106 - 2011-02-19 @ 04:25am
    Your falsetto is great! It's not *that* out of tune, but that is the nature of the beast! But the guitar part is really really really good!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-20 @ 12:25pm
    I think you are ready for the boys choir :-)))) Nice guitar !
  • sebastian6 - 2011-02-21 @ 11:08am
    What a beautiful song. Made me think of Bon Iver or Iron and Wine. Just really gentle and melodic. Wonderful.
  • ultravioleteyejeff - 2011-02-22 @ 02:25am
    You rose to the challenge. Hypnotic.

12. Perfect Vacuum

2011-02-21 @ 03:47pm
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop nothing challenge

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I usually play live.

A song about nothing challenge http://fawm.org/forums/thread/1334/

Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
Any and all feedback welcome

Lyrics

WHAT’S WRONG WITH MY MOOD TODAY
NO ENERGY I DON’T THINK I’M OKAY

FEELS LIKE A PERFECT VACUUM

HOW COME ALL SENSATION’S GONE
NO QUALITY, ATTRACTION NONE

FEELS LIKE A PERFECT VACUUM
FEELS LIKE A PERFECT VACUUM
FEELS LIKE A PERFECT VACUUM

THE LUST THE LOVE ALL GONE AWAY
NO HOPE IT WILL RETURN SOMEDAY
NO FRICTION, NO THOUGHTS AND ZERO FUN
TELL ME PLEASE WHAT IS GOING ON

FEELS LIKE A PERFECT VACUUM

SO EMPTY THERE’S NOTHING INSIDE

FEELS LIKE A PERFECT VACUUM
FEELS LIKE A PERFECT VACUUM
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • [Lunar_X] - 2011-02-21 @ 04:01pm
    its like the 80's! but with no synth(although i could picture a synth with that song in a rhythm kind of way. i liked it.
  • sapient - 2011-02-21 @ 04:01pm
    Your songs just get better and better. What the heck are you drinking? And can I have some?
  • seemanski - 2011-02-21 @ 04:12pm
    The music fits the song perfectly, great harmonies on the chorus and I love how you pronounce vacuu-um.
  • Jeff and Suzanne - 2011-02-21 @ 04:30pm
    Cool sound, I like it!
  • Nam June Robot - 2011-02-22 @ 01:37am
    I second sapient's comment.
  • djsmit - 2011-02-22 @ 12:15pm
    Wow Max, awesome sounds! And a great beat as well ;)
  • kathy moran - 2011-02-22 @ 09:20pm
    Your vocals gave me chills on this one. Excellent sound.
  • Terrill - 2011-02-24 @ 05:57am
    This is very cool. I love the chorus in two octaves. My first thought on listening to this was "Wow, what a cool indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre tune". And that was before I read your liner notes!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-24 @ 05:44pm
    Ohhh...I have felt like this! Like the vocal changes. And I like that the music has so much moving energy juxtaposed with the lyric
  • CAHM - 2011-02-28 @ 05:00am
    This is cool max, I love the vocal work on this its a great perfomance
  • Sarah Wynia Smith - 2011-03-04 @ 07:57pm
    Very nice! I really like your vox against the quasi-sinister backdrop, esp on the "feels like a perfect vacuum" line. I think the English is just fine here, you've got some great lines :)

13. Sandbags

2011-02-23 @ 08:21am
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop antique challenge

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I usually play live.

The idea for this song came from the antique photo challenge http://fawm.org/forums/thread/1558/
Here's the photo: http://www.postcardsfrom.nl/233/nl233738.jpg
It's our house during the flood of 1916.
I loved the idea but struggled with this track, it did not work out the way I hoped :(
Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
Any and all feedback welcome

Lyrics

WATERLAND
1916
RISING RIVERS
STORM TIDE

GET MORE SANDBAGS
PROTECT THE HOUSE
GET MORE SANDBAGS
PROTECT THE HOUSE

HEAVY RAINS
JANUARY
LOST CONTROL
BREACH IN DIKE

GET MORE SANDBAGS
PROTECT THE HOUSE

SANDBAGS
NEED MORE SANDBAGS

DOES THE GROUND STAY
DO THE TREES HOLD IT TOGETHER
WILL THE HOUSE STAY
IN THIS STORMY WEATHER

FLASH FLOOD
HOPE IS LOST
DO NOT MOVE
STAY INSIDE

GET MORE SANDBAGS
PROTECT THE HOUSE
GET MORE SANDBAGS
PROTECT THE HOUSE

SANDBAGS
SANDBAGS

TRY TO KEEP IT DRY
TILL IT GETS BETTER
HOPE NO ONE DIES
IN THIS STORMY WEATHER

SANDBAGS
NEED MORE SANDBAGS

GET MORE SANDBAGS
PROTECT THE HOUSE
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • imustbenuts - 2011-02-23 @ 09:59am
    Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
  • nuerdetjuligen - 2011-02-23 @ 09:59pm
    oooooooooo, i like this. those two voices work together in a really cool, eerie way. i've been around some flash floods and the call for 'more sandbags' is ever present. this reminds me in some ways of a chain gang song, i see a long line of guys in stripes piling sand bags. every time a bag of sand goes down, it makes that nice smack. very cool, and your english is perfect!
  • pacifico - 2011-02-24 @ 01:59am
    Is the picture token in Nieuwendam? It says: N'dam
  • wolfkier - 2011-02-24 @ 12:55pm
    brilliant, wolf.
  • lieke - 2011-02-25 @ 03:18pm
    Wow, what a story! And what a way to transform it into a song! Awesome. I really like the poppy drums. And your dubble voices.
  • PlushBaby - 2011-03-01 @ 06:47pm
    Love the vocals on this one and I really like the way you've changed up your style this year Max, cool story.
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2011-03-05 @ 04:49pm
    Go live in Amersfoort, then you'll never need no sandbags at all!
  • marklberry - 2011-03-08 @ 12:06am
    Your English is great. Upbeat song for a weather tragedy. Sandbags bring a great visual, and you did say your inspiration came from a photo, so well done. Cheers! MLB
  • Chip Withrow - 2011-03-09 @ 03:51pm
    Intense minimalist groove you've got here. Cool doubled effect on the vocal. Reminds me a bit of Midnight Oil. Powerful storm/flood images.
  • Major Major Major Major - 2011-03-09 @ 07:36pm
    Very cool... it comes across almost like a telegraph message from some isolated town. It reminded me of this book I came across in the stacks when working at the library called Wisconsin Death Trip.. not about flooding but I got a similar feeling from it.
  • Taylor Tay - 2011-03-18 @ 09:42am
    What a thumping beat, the palm muting definitely helps. The lyrics and vocal delivery is great for this sort of song as well. Downloaded! I have to investigate your stuff more at some point I think. :P

14. One Of Those Days

2011-02-25 @ 05:09am
tags: singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop really-short challenge

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I usually play live.

Really short song challenge: http://fawm.org/forums/thread/1408
3,5 seconds song :lol:

Lyrics

WELL IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE DAYS
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-25 @ 05:53am
    Two words: Awe Some. Plus you did it as your palm-muted new self! :-) did you say this has 32 layers?
  • mattblick - 2011-02-25 @ 11:19am
    crazy dude!
  • lieke - 2011-02-25 @ 03:13pm
    Ok... I don't think songs come any shorter then this! Great!
  • nuerdetjuligen - 2011-02-25 @ 11:54pm
    oh man, that's perfect. and so perfectly short! I want this as my ring tone.
  • ultravioleteyejeff - 2011-02-26 @ 08:06pm
    The timbre of your voice on this one reminds me of someone, and I just can't put my finger on it. Well done!
  • Alayna the Alto - 2011-03-01 @ 11:53pm
    Ah, I've had a day like this plenty of times the past month. We all can relate! :D
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2011-03-05 @ 04:51pm
    It's a bit long-winded ...
  • whatsurdamage - 2011-03-05 @ 06:37pm
    Haha, awesome! I need to have a button on my desk at work that plays that whenever I press it.

15. Confession Hour

2011-02-26 @ 06:58pm
tags: songskirmish songskirmish7 singer-songwriter palm-muted acoustic pop

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0
This FAWM I hope to create an indie-thumpy-palm-muted-acoustic-two-step-DIY-pop-genre which is completely different from the singer-songwriter stuff I usually play live.

Songskirmish7.Read this thread: http://fawm.org/forums/thread/2191/
Songskirmish > Challenge where you have to write a song within the hour after the title of the song has been given.

Lyrics

YOU DID WHAT?
DIDN'T YOUR MAMA TELL YOU NOT TO?
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • Helen - 2011-02-26 @ 07:00pm
    Ooh, I like this a lot. Fab song.
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-26 @ 07:02pm
    Hahahahahahaha.hehehehehehe
  • T.C. Elliott - 2011-02-26 @ 07:12pm
    I like the answering "you did what"s with the nice vibrato.
  • Carley Baer - 2011-02-26 @ 07:22pm
    simple, to-the-point. nice job. :)
  • Nick Sypniewski - 2011-02-26 @ 07:25pm
    David Byrne made a career out of songs like this. Good one!
  • John Crossman - 2011-02-26 @ 08:03pm
    I'm loving the funky music, lovin' it! And the deep vocal is pretty cool. They really create a vibe of mystery. I could hear some more lyric-story between the refrain you have too if you wanted to add it. But this is a blast as is.
  • Leslie Hudson - 2011-02-26 @ 08:16pm
    Very nice. The repeated vocal lines end up sounding so much like an instrument themselves. Quite effective, and to the point.
  • Nam June Robot - 2011-02-27 @ 08:18pm
    Lol makes me think of my 8 year old. nice
  • astroboy - 2011-02-28 @ 08:55pm
    Love your guitar playing style! Nice job Max! Great job on the challenge!
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-03-03 @ 12:16pm
    this is a lot better than my songskirmish7 song. Have you heard the Colorblind James Experience? Have a listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ctiog-nHHA - and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RFj47Vnj9c Anyway, back to your song, it's very original sounding. What key is it even in? Very original. This one's a "keeper" whatever that means, but i particularly liked this one. (ps - thanks for reminding me about colorblind james!)

16. Sweet Memories

2011-02-26 @ 08:28pm
tags: acoustic capo collab

I kind of have an idea for a vocal melody, but no solid lyrical ideas.

Two guitars, capo on 6 for the first, capo on 1 for the other.

ETA: Max added lyrics and vocals over my original instrumental. That is now the linked version.

Max: I heard this guitar instrumental by plainwhitetoast and saw the #needs-lyrics tag. I just coudn't resist to do the vocals as well. (my wife: "What :O ? You're still recording, FAWM's over ! :) )
Thank you plainwhitetoast.

original instrumental: http://files.fawmers.com/plainwhitetoast/sweet%20memories.mp3

Lyrics

WE WERE READING THE MORNING PAPERS
I OFFERED YOU SOME COFFEE BUT YOU SAID YOU HAD TO GO
I EXPECTED YOU TO COME BACK SOON
SO I WASHED THE DISHES, TOOK A SHOWER. THAT’S FOUR DAYS AGO

STILL I’M WAITING WAITING FOR YOU

DID YOU GET ANY OF MY MESSAGES
I INVITED YOU FOR DINNER BUT I HAVEN’T HEARD A THING
I GOT SOME TICKETS FOR THE MOVIES
ALSO HAD A HAIRCUT, LET ME SEND YOU THE PICTURE I EVEN BOUGHT A RING

STILL I’M WAITING WAITING FOR YOU

I GUESS YOU WON’T RETURN THEN
THAT’S OKAY MY LOVE I REALLY HOPE YOU’LL BE ALRIGHT
DON’T YOU WORRY, WORRY ABOUT ME
I HOPE YOU HAVE FUN, YOU WILL BE HAPPY AND YOUR FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT

STILL I’M WAITING WAITING FOR YOU

Comments

  • angelinapowersuit - 2011-02-26 @ 10:19pm
    This is beautiful and uplifting just the way it is! Though a vocal melody popped right into my head too. Lyrics would help, though. . .thinking.
  • sheilerk - 2011-03-02 @ 01:36am
    I think this is really lovely. If you would like to share the melody, and would still like some words, I'd love to find you some.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-03-05 @ 05:13pm
    :) Let me know what you think of this one: (edit: link has the plainwhitetoast approval stamp now and is in the player above)
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-03-06 @ 05:37am
    nice! very nice indeed, rich chords here, and i really enjoyed hearing Max's song over this too.
  • Nancy Rost - 2011-03-07 @ 12:38pm
    This is some pretty picking. I like that Max took the lyrics to a somewhat absurd place but played them straight with the music.
  • sapient - 2011-03-08 @ 01:01pm
    Lovely. So very sad, but lovely...
  • petra777 (XEW) - 2011-03-09 @ 10:56pm
    love the subtle adding of the echo effects...just right, not over done... excellent collab, loving all the sad songs...im such a sucker for them ;)

17. I Have Tried

2011-03-01 @ 05:59am
tags: singer-songwriter acoustic pop

THANKS FOR LISTENING ► http://maxvanremmerden.bandcamp.com/
Some rights reserved. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0

Please correct me if I've made any mistakes in the English language.
Any and all feedback welcome

Lyrics

I TRIED TO FORGET
I TRIED TO FORGIVE
I EVEN HOPED
I WOULD UNDERSTAND

I HAVE TRIED I HAVE TRIED I HAVE TRIED
TO SET MY FEELINGS ASIDE
BUT FOUND OUT
THAT DOESN’T WORK FOR ME

WHY WHO KNOWS WHY
WHO KNOWS WHY WHO KNOWS WHY
YOU DID THIS TO ME

I CRIED AND I CRIED
AND I CRIED AND I CRIED
HOW COULD I EVER FORESEE

YOU LIED OH YOU LIED
OH YOU LIED OH YOU LIED
AND YOU KNEW IT WAS WRONG

GOODBYE YES GOODBYE
YES GOODBYE YES GOODBYE
I NEED TO BE STRONG

I HAVE TRIED I HAVE TRIED I HAVE TRIED
TO SET MY FEELINGS ASIDE
BUT FOUND OUT
THAT DOESN’T WORK FOR ME
© Max Vanremmerden / vanremmerdenmusic 2011

Comments

  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-03-01 @ 06:07am
    hmm, great song, and it's appropriate that a goodbye song should be the final posted song on FAWM this year, pretty heavy lyrics though. Anyway, i liked the lyrics, and the melody and the song (though i'd have liked it a bit longer, with maybe an instrumental at the end). so in short, good work.
  • PlushBaby - 2011-03-01 @ 06:09am
    This sounds really cool Max! Love the acoustic chord hits. It has the sound of a man at a bar, recounting his story of lost love before he goes off to do something he will regret. Good work right to the end as always!
  • Tim Fatchen - 2011-03-01 @ 06:54am
    Definitely a heavy goodbye song. Yes, it conjures up grim bars I have known too, so it works at a visceral level!
  • Rick Amorphis - 2011-03-01 @ 07:00am
    Wow Max...you own that lower register! Your voice sounds so good here, and when it ends, it feels like you just got up and left the room...just as if it were a conversation. Great job!
  • astroboy - 2011-03-01 @ 07:09am
    I really like the chord progression here, sounds sinister and heavy. The instruments you chose are top notch for the feeling you have captured in this song. As always, your vocals low tones adds to the intensity! Lovin' it. See you next year.
  • dustymason - 2011-03-01 @ 08:26am
    Nice closer MAX....vocals done basso style, the low drone is effective. Comparisons, take with grains of salt, that said, Leonard Cohen comes to mind. Also reminds of lesser-known, Jonathan Spottiswoode. I'm fans of both, and a fan of MVR. Congratulations, well done.
  • the days of stickman - 2011-03-01 @ 09:30am
    As far as I can see, this is the very last song to be posted to FAWM in 2011! And what a way to close it all - this is really excellent. Definitely agree with @dustymason about Leonard Cohen - also a bit of Johnny Cash in there. Great song, great performance. You draw a fitting line for us all.
  • sapient - 2011-03-01 @ 10:23am
    There's that banjo again, yes? ;) Great way to finish. Heaps of emotion.
  • michaelepic - 2011-03-01 @ 01:04pm
    This one sounds ready for ITunes and ready to push out to the world as a single....need a video, something to go viral on youtube and you're a star man! GREAT SONG!
  • Dominic Johnson - 2011-03-01 @ 02:08pm
    Great song! Reminds me of Leonard Cohen!
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-03-01 @ 02:33pm
    Love that modal banjo! This is like indie old-time. And your voice can be positively scary sometimes. In a good way, I mean.... Oh and you don't remind me of Leonard Cohen because I can't stand listening to him sing his own songs. He's overdramatic and annoying whereas you're ... scary. In a good way. :-)
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-03-01 @ 04:28pm
    Great good bye song. Rhyme scheme is well crafted. Banjo unexpected!
  • ellen liss - 2011-03-01 @ 05:18pm
    oh - love this!! - Mark Lanegan himself couldn't do any better. 5 big fat stars!
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-03-01 @ 05:40pm
    This is like a funky Leonard Cohen song. An apt end to FAWM that you should be the last post. You absolutely rocked FAWM this year, Max. MVP performance. Love the strings on this one as well, but as with all of them the vocals are the strength of the piece.
  • liamurray - 2011-03-01 @ 10:33pm
    Great song, reminds me of Willard Grant Conspiracy.
  • Jeff and Suzanne - 2011-03-01 @ 10:38pm
    Congrats on being the last posted song! This is a cool song, I really like the vocals. Reminds me of Bowie.
  • Steven Davies - 2011-03-02 @ 12:45am
    Oh again its cool to listen to your excellent unique vocals. I like the lyric play as it works a treat and make this a very enjoyable listen. I look forward to hopefully catch you when you come back next year and do it all again.
  • mattblick - 2011-03-02 @ 05:54pm
    like the low vocals and guitar line - would like to hear a giant fat clean slap back echoed electric playing it. I think 'funky Leonard Cohen' sums it up well. Or Abba slowed down 60%. Good one.
  • orinoco - 2011-03-03 @ 03:30pm
    Wow, moody! I think the fact that the lyrics are all in capitals makes this seem more menacing :-) The instrumentation is excellent, love the piano chords in the background. Also agree with the 'funky Leonard Cohen' tag. Maybe that could be your new genre for next year? ;-)
  • Brian Smith - 2011-03-04 @ 12:29am
    The music hear really keeps the tension level up without getting tiresome. I really like how the vocals in the lower end of your range to contrast the higher guitar (and banjo?) parts. Maybe this was intentional, but it doesn't sound finished to me. I'd like to hear a solo (maybe on the lower register of a piano) that is perhaps more rhythmic than melodic right where the song ends. Just a thought. Really solid ending to FAWM.
  • gerrybhoy - 2011-03-04 @ 12:38pm
    Good tune, with the addition of a female voice sitting over yours, it would sound very much like an Isabel Campbell and Mark Lanagan tune. Interesting contrast the voice and banjo. Thanks for the listen
  • Dillon Nickerson - 2011-03-04 @ 06:06pm
    This is pretty sweet, good job
  • Chris Shepard - 2011-03-05 @ 09:42am
    ...and the last song of FAWM is an awesome one! This should be in a Quentin Tarantino film.
  • Rootscauseway - 2011-03-06 @ 01:32am
    good tune Max...totally get the Leonard Cohen vibe with the voice...maybe latter period Cohen....and Cohen is a genius...;)....
  • marklberry - 2011-03-08 @ 12:08am
    Love the intro. The heavy vocals work great for this song. Almost Elvis-esque, or Johnny Cash. Cheers! MLB
  • AXL - 2011-03-09 @ 01:23am
    I love the simplicity of the lyrics and, as usual, the way you present them. A guitar (or trumpet!) solo would fit well before the last chorus. Also, like others have pointed out earlier, a female voice would compliment yours very well.
  • petra777 (XEW) - 2011-03-09 @ 10:52pm
    love the lil twang you add on the word "me" awesome tune...
  • Major Major Major Major - 2011-03-10 @ 09:44am
    Excellent mood you set here... this could be a prequel to one of Nick Cave's murder ballads.. maybe that's why I'd like to hear a bit more snarl in the delivery rather than resignation.
  • cts - 2011-03-10 @ 06:19pm
    I'm getting a great Johnny Cash vibe off this taste of jelly. Nothing wrong with the way it's worded, Max. It gets the download.

Soundboard Messages

  • dustymason - 2011-01-04 @ 05:55pm
    M.VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • sapient - 2011-01-07 @ 08:50am
    Here we go again! We have the option of a real-life collab this year... if you want to park your bike outside a certain house...?
  • explodingmary - 2011-01-07 @ 03:02pm
    gads, i loved that 1 minute album of 5 sec. songs on your blog, especially Blame & Back Rub. Wicked good minute of music.
  • sapient - 2011-01-09 @ 03:15am
    That sounds great - just let me know what would work for you :)
  • cts - 2011-01-09 @ 05:19am
    Hey, Max! Getting a head start I hear. Maybe I might should warm up a bit myself. You've got to give me the secret to the musical notes in the liner. They may come in handy this go round.
  • Karan - 2011-01-09 @ 06:21am
    Hey Max, let's rock the continent! :-)
  • sentense - 2011-01-09 @ 06:53am
    Hellooooo :-)
  • Sacraficialglam - 2011-01-09 @ 08:23am
    Back to it! Let's rock this place.
  • Dick Clark - 2011-01-09 @ 09:56am
    Psst, hey kid? What time is it? What time is it? (Time 2 get wild and loose) Fellas? (Yeah?) Where the party at? (Right here under your shoes)
  • Phil Bearce - 2011-01-09 @ 12:38pm
    Yes indeed, here we go and go...
  • oddbod - 2011-01-09 @ 01:12pm
    thanks for popping over to say hello..now how do you get those natty musical notes to appear?
  • Echo Voodoo - 2011-01-09 @ 02:48pm
    Have a good FAWM, Max!
  • Vom Vorton - 2011-01-09 @ 04:45pm
    here we don't go yet, more's the pity! I can't wait to get going :)
  • Eric Distad - 2011-01-09 @ 06:38pm
    Fawm number 6! Awesome! Here we go again indeed!
  • Chasing Andromeda - 2011-01-09 @ 07:01pm
    Max, good to see you here again. Have a great FAWM!
  • paulotteson - 2011-01-09 @ 07:28pm
    Here we go Max!
  • Nam June Robot - 2011-01-09 @ 08:56pm
    Rock it to the MAX!
  • lhuntx - 2011-01-09 @ 10:28pm
    Hi Max, Happy New Year!
  • sapient - 2011-01-10 @ 02:19am
    I hope so! Work is only scheduled for a few days... the biggest headache should be getting everything back in there and set up again!
  • Dan Fors - 2011-01-10 @ 04:08pm
    A studio without a lava lamp is inviting disaster and writers block. Your synths will detune randomly, guitar strings will snap and your rhyme will be utter cheese. Or so someone told me. :)
  • Rootscauseway - 2011-01-11 @ 09:45am
    hey..just seen ye name drop Rivulets in the forums... that 'you are my home' album is amazinly great;/// is Brute the band that Vic Chesnutt some albums with..? i just have Cobalt...Vic Chesnutt is in my top 3 songsters of all time ...
  • Billy Sea - 2011-01-11 @ 01:33pm
    Hi Max, always happy to see you (and hear you) making great music :)
  • Rootscauseway - 2011-01-11 @ 02:13pm
    hey thanks for the tips...i'll defo be getting that Brute cd asap.. whats the cd in UK that you and Rivulets are on? might be heading to amsterdam for 3 days in february..not sure though cos i am might be too busy fawning...
  • plainwhitetoast - 2011-01-11 @ 08:37pm
    Howdy! Nice to see you again.
  • Dennis Jernberg - 2011-01-11 @ 11:12pm
    And then a chorus comes: ♫ Oh no, he's coming 'round again Oh no, he'll make that sound again Oh yes, he'll play too loud today And then, he'll drive us all away ♫ Come to think of it, I might use that one (a bit of self-deprecation on my part, really)... Anyway, hi. Great to be back, and looking forward to hearing more of your stuff. :)
  • ellen liss - 2011-01-12 @ 06:51pm
    ♫ hip hip hooray, FAWM is on its way! ♫
  • Tim Fatchen - 2011-01-13 @ 12:35am
    I still can't quite grasp how you manage to do all that listening, careful and encouraging and professional commenting, and STILL put out the music...don't stop, of course!
  • kidd - 2011-01-13 @ 04:22am
    Hi Max, I LOVE your 5 second album, but most of all i really LOVE City Birds. Really interesting drum pattern and the whole sound is right up my street.... MAGIC!!
  • Bikki - 2011-01-13 @ 05:09am
    ♫ Hey there old man Max ♫
  • roddy - 2011-01-13 @ 10:28am
    Good to hear from you.
  • orinoco - 2011-01-13 @ 11:54am
    ♫ to you too Max :-) Nice to see you again, will be checking in with you during Feb, I'm sure.
  • Donna - 2011-01-13 @ 04:45pm
    Groetjes, Max! ;)
  • kidd - 2011-01-13 @ 06:51pm
    Hey Max, no I dont think I know Davie Lawson, but Matthjis has been over a few times and filmed various bands i've been ivolved in for his Onder Invloed site.... Lovely guy!....ps thanks for spotting the faulty Wellgreen link... ill rectify that!
  • lazyafro - 2011-01-13 @ 07:35pm
    Welcome back Max!
  • John Crossman - 2011-01-13 @ 08:37pm
    Hey, good to see you back for more rock!
  • Errol - 2011-01-13 @ 08:48pm
    Alllloooo Max! :D Wait, I listened to something of your, and I forgot what it was now. Darn it, FAWM hasn't started yet and I'm beginning to forget songs already!
  • Steffan Pitzel - 2011-01-13 @ 08:53pm
    How's the weather in fAwMSTERDAM?
  • Taylor Tay - 2011-01-13 @ 11:24pm
    Loved that 60 second album. All of those could be fleshed out. It's insane. It's a cold day, that's what it is! Keen for your work in Feb!
  • Tobermory - 2011-01-14 @ 03:02am
    Max! Great to have you back!
  • kidd - 2011-01-14 @ 08:37am
    ha! small world indeed! thats amazing!
  • Scott O. Clamp - 2011-01-14 @ 09:13am
    Maximum Max attacks with the tracks! No one can detract when he busts out the facts! Sorry, that was wack.
  • E Agner - 2011-01-14 @ 09:35am
    2011 is a whole new year! Mostly I was thinking about not hitting 14 songs in 2010, but it has definitely been an 'interesting' year
  • gillianmcgregor - 2011-01-14 @ 02:20pm
    Thanks Max :) Looking forward to my first Fawm, bit shifawmning maself but ready to rock :)
  • Frances - 2011-01-14 @ 03:21pm
    Hi Max! How on earth do you make those cool musical notes in the text box? It's so great to be counting down to a new February!
  • lonelyrobot - 2011-01-14 @ 04:46pm
    Really like your stuff, looking forward to hearing what 2011 has to offer :)
  • Face of Einstein - 2011-01-14 @ 07:36pm
    So....looking at your listed influences...Bob Dylan and NOFX you say.....very interesting....very interesting indeed....
  • greenambit - 2011-01-14 @ 09:55pm
    Hello yourself!
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-01-14 @ 11:36pm
    Enjoyed the 5-Second-Song album. Really solid and just a genuinely good, standalone album. I'm excited to hear what you're planning for this year. February is getting close...yikes.
  • Robyn Mackenzie - 2011-01-15 @ 01:06am
    Thanks! I enjoyed your pre-FAWM song too--it made me laugh. :) Can't wait to hear what comes out of you next month!
  • Chip Withrow - 2011-01-15 @ 07:56am
    I just checked out the 5-sec album - wow! So cool! Hey, is that a banjo on one of the songs?
  • Oakly - 2011-01-15 @ 10:00am
    Hello max. Haven't heard any of your stuff yet so I have that to look forward to.
  • brzan - 2011-01-15 @ 11:56am
    Thanks Max! Looking forward to hearing your music.
  • Rick Amorphis - 2011-01-15 @ 12:02pm
    Hey Max...great to see you back here!
  • Neil - 2011-01-15 @ 12:15pm
    Hello Max - I hope FAWM hits you with that Frankenstein bolt of inspiration. I disappeared off the radar for a while and went walkabouts - I'm checking in but have no expectations about what I'll do - life continues to be problematic.
  • Ankari - 2011-01-15 @ 03:33pm
    お楽しみに!ww
  • kathy moran - 2011-01-15 @ 06:01pm
    I'm looking forward to reconnecting and hearing some new treats from fawmsterdam! Felicitous greetings, Max!
  • Erik Didriksen - 2011-01-15 @ 08:11pm
    Thank you, sir! Your album of five-second songs is absolutely brilliant!!
  • Mal - 2011-01-16 @ 03:47am
    ♫And the bass keeps runnin' runnin' And runnin' runnin' and runnin' runnin' and ... ♫
  • bugalug - 2011-01-16 @ 07:23am
    Thanks Max......keep on rockin..let the notes flow
  • Rootscauseway - 2011-01-16 @ 09:44am
    hey jut checked out the link....will investigate further later...cool site.. i'm having loads of computer problemos etc....gonna be pushing it to be set up for february...
  • lisaolsonmusic - 2011-01-16 @ 06:34pm
    thanks max! looking forward to some fun in feb :)
  • emkeev - 2011-01-16 @ 08:22pm
    indeeeeed, here we go again. Thanks for the greeting -- lookin' forward to see what you come out with!
  • Christopher Short - 2011-01-17 @ 07:04am
    Here I am. Let's get this taken care of!
  • expendablefriend - 2011-01-17 @ 03:59pm
    Hey Max! Good to see you back!
  • Kolton H. - 2011-01-17 @ 10:22pm
    Here we go again indeed! Only a little while left before the FAWMing begins!
  • Tim Fatchen - 2011-01-18 @ 06:10am
    It's OK Max, I will end up improvising regardless!
  • gerrybhoy - 2011-01-18 @ 09:48am
    Thank you for the welcome.
  • Corinne Curcio - 2011-01-18 @ 12:26pm
    Hi Max - I got my eyes and ears on you for Feb! :)
  • Jules - 2011-01-18 @ 01:54pm
    Max Max Max Max Max!!! Howdy!
  • Tally Deushane (live2tivo) - 2011-01-18 @ 02:01pm
    Will definitely be doing videos. I've been neglecting my YouTube subscribers! Welcome back!
  • jamie?! - 2011-01-18 @ 03:42pm
    aww thanks max! hopefully i'll at least have one or two demos up this year. lol =]
  • Majidae - 2011-01-18 @ 07:28pm
    Can't say I know how it goes myself! But we'll find out, right?
  • The Cow Exchange - 2011-01-18 @ 07:48pm
    Thumbs-up on the 1-minute album, sir!
  • Temily - 2011-01-19 @ 12:10am
    Thanks for the welcome :) I'm looking forward to Feb.
  • themisprints - 2011-01-19 @ 04:57am
    Thanks for the welcome! We're both excited! :D
  • Jodi Arlyn - 2011-01-19 @ 09:08pm
    Counting it down... :-D Hope you're well!
  • CAHM - 2011-01-20 @ 07:38am
    Thanks mate! Just listening through your back-catalog now, some good stuff!
  • cangrejo - 2011-01-20 @ 07:56pm
    Hello max
  • tuomoh - 2011-01-21 @ 07:24pm
    Thanks for the welcome :)
  • alamous - 2011-01-22 @ 08:49am
    Thanks for the greetings!
  • devin - 2011-01-23 @ 02:56pm
    Well, look at the party over here!!! Thanks for the welcome Max...let's make this February as much of a blur as last time ;-)
  • burzinski - 2011-01-24 @ 10:49am
    Hi Max, thanks for visiting my youtube channel and fawm profile. Eager to start, even if I don't plan to upload much songs... probably 2 or 3 only, for I don't like the idea of publishing too much unfinished content... anyway... I'll be watching you, too, I do like your influences ;) Cheers.
  • strategicsilence - 2011-01-24 @ 04:09pm
    thanks. cant wait for February to start.
  • lerpy - 2011-01-25 @ 04:02am
    Hi Max. Thanks for the welcome. Dig the tracks on your bandcamp site.
  • Argot Bertha - 2011-01-25 @ 05:42am
    Hi Max - yep, that's the case. Fine Excuses is getting a little rest this year. The poor thing needs it ;)
  • Casee Wilson - 2011-01-26 @ 04:46pm
    Hey Max! Good to see you back, hope this FAWM rocks your world! xxx
  • Ant Lion - 2011-01-26 @ 06:03pm
    ♫♫♫♫♫☃♫♫♫♫♫
  • garyjugert - 2011-01-27 @ 12:56am
    Tweeted Victoria Vox ... she's IN for FAWM 2011. Woot!
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-01-27 @ 05:18am
    i don't know if it's "nonpretentious" to have a policy of never buying music unless you've personally checked out the artiste live. Sounds fairly pretentious to me.
  • aholla - 2011-01-27 @ 02:23pm
    Thanks Max, glad to be a part of this for the first year!
  • Tom Slatter - 2011-01-27 @ 03:41pm
    Hi Max! Looking forward to hearing your songs this year!
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-01-27 @ 05:38pm
    hi max, no, i'm not referring to you in my bio, i'm referring to me. I know there's a bit of a clash between the "music should be free" crowd and the "i poured my heart and soul into this so it must be worth something" bunch, so i just thought i'd clarify in my bio. Also, what i think of you is actually irrelevant, because i'm going to enjoy your music, and anyway i haven't got any problem with you. BUT i might sometimes disagree with you (or anybody) quite noticeably. In this case, it did hit quite personally, because i am sick of people saying how great my music is and yet i never sell any of it, but that's not me excusing myself, just saying, i'm an irrational human, but i don't hold any hard feelings towards you or anyone. :-)
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-01-28 @ 07:23am
    hi again max, no i don't think you're stupid, and yes, that's awesome that you do that for people. I get the same accusations of favouritism, elitism etc from people who patronise our open mic night, my answer to them is we always need a helping hand running the night and doing the various associated tasks, so if they have so much to say, why don't they get involved... unsurprisingly most people show me they'd rather moan than take action. Anyway, that was all really quite offtopic! Basically yeah, we all do what we can. And i do not (contrary to belief on this site apparently!) think downloads "should" be paid for, i just think people's music is worth something whether it's on the 'net or not, and i also think making hard and fast statements about what someone will always or never do is just too extreme. I decided i'd never pay for downloads a while ago, guess what, i have now paid for some downloads, and never regretted it, because the music was great. (usually stuff i've heard on the radio or live), and i don't see what's wrong with me expecting people to pay for my CD, especially when they can get half an hour free if they want right there on bandcamp as well. Anyway, this is all waffle. It's good to get this kind of discussion with you though. :-)
  • heuristicsinc - 2011-01-28 @ 03:23pm
    thanks for the welcome!
  • Deaf Steever - 2011-01-29 @ 11:23am
    I really appreciated the welcome you gave me a week or two ago. Thanks a lot! Lookin' forward to the FAWM challenge ... I'm typically a REALLY lazy songwriter ... glacially slow at best! :-) I look forward to hearing what you come up with this year. Take it easy!
  • Matt Pierce - 2011-01-30 @ 09:01am
    Hey Max! You've got a boatload of awesome music! So much variety as well! Loved the start to "Here we go again" but it didn't finish :( I'll figure out why, later. Thanks for the listen! :)
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-01-30 @ 10:43am
    Hey Max! I'm ready! Can't wait to hear your stuff. :-)
  • velvetlounge2000 - 2011-01-30 @ 04:30pm
    woo hoo!
  • Carlos - 2011-01-30 @ 07:16pm
    Hello Max!... really looking forward to listening to your songs!
  • testthebest - 2011-01-30 @ 08:13pm
    yep! i'm chomping at the bit. thanks for the welcome. i'm looking forward to your stuff :)
  • alfek - 2011-01-30 @ 09:47pm
    Thanks for the welcome Max.
  • Lomedae - 2011-01-31 @ 05:40am
    Thanks for the welcome max :-) Rock on maat.
  • Cactus Joe - 2011-01-31 @ 01:06pm
    I'm geeked to hear your stuff this year and a little jealous that FAWM reaches your time zone before mine...
  • Rootscauseway - 2011-01-31 @ 03:28pm
    "lets get down to business...." nine high a pallet arrived in the post today.....it sounds amazing...thanks again for the tip....
  • Psy-T - 2011-01-31 @ 05:19pm
    Have a great FAWM Max. :)
  • Mana Junkie - 2011-02-01 @ 01:11am
    LET THE FAWMing BEGIN!
  • Mike Debenham - 2011-02-01 @ 06:19am
    And we're off. Have a great month.
  • Dillon Richards - 2011-02-01 @ 09:35am
    Thank you for lettin' me know! :)
  • hahuusko - 2011-02-01 @ 11:08am
    Thanks for the welcome. Happy fawming!
  • davieblue - 2011-02-01 @ 11:35am
    thanks Max. I'm pumped!
  • Sean_T_Wright - 2011-02-01 @ 03:25pm
    Let's rock n roll!!!!!!
  • musicsongwriter - 2011-02-01 @ 03:34pm
    Hi Max :)
  • sheilerk - 2011-02-01 @ 05:11pm
    Hi Max. Thought I popped on and said Hi already, but it appears I haven't ...so now I have ;) Looks like you're off to a great start!
  • figureskater01 - 2011-02-01 @ 07:46pm
    Thanks! Good luck! :)
  • friendof - 2011-02-01 @ 09:01pm
    Hey, glad to see you here again! Gonna go listen to #1 now! :)
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-01 @ 11:44pm
    Hey Max, great to see you here again and looking forward to another great FAWM!
  • willard cody - 2011-02-02 @ 06:05am
    thank you sir...
  • Laurie Stark - 2011-02-02 @ 07:42am
    Hello, hello!
  • Magnus - 2011-02-02 @ 04:35pm
    Thanks for the welcome!
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-02-02 @ 05:10pm
    Max, you are so right -- I have entire albums-full of prison work songs, so I guess that was a subconscious influence.
  • Neil - 2011-02-02 @ 08:54pm
    Max - thanks so much for your all-round positive vibe around the place and your kind words. I'm working with a multitrack recorder as we speak (but I find it tedious) but I am at least trying to produce a better quality recording for at least 1 track... fingers crossed eh? :-)
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-02 @ 11:10pm
    I am so completely bummed that I couldn't find a way to track you down while I was in Europe on business last summer, I was all over (Belgium, France, Spain) but never in the Netherlands... It definitely would have been cool to meet, even if only to share a coffee or beer.
  • carelessninja - 2011-02-02 @ 11:57pm
    Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you but thanks for the welcome! Having fun so far...
  • Paper Ceilings - 2011-02-03 @ 04:42pm
    Thank you for the welcome and the feedback on my songs. I did your tunes and your influences list as well!
  • De Mus - 2011-02-04 @ 11:26am
    Dank voor je opmerking, de link werkt ondertussen weer.
  • Roy de Smet - 2011-02-05 @ 04:38am
    Thanks, you live in Amsterdam, right? Must be like hell with the airplanes and the wind... I live in Volendam, it was a bit more quiet here, I suppose. Bright side: It's given me a new song! And I think this one stays with me for a couple of months... I like this one :-) My throat is not fully recovered yet, but my parents are not home, tonight So I'll try and record it tonight. Together with 'Notebook'.
  • sapient - 2011-02-05 @ 06:07am
    Hey Max - I think the 16th works at any time during the day, any of the other dates are fine in the evening...
  • Ben Levinson! - 2011-02-05 @ 10:42am
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the song. Your stuff is very dance-y which always help to spice up songs up a little. I thoroughly enjoy it. I can't help but think of The Magnetic Fields when I hear your voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQOrLamT0n4 (major compliment coming from me) Great original sound. can't wait to hear what you whip up this month.
  • T.C. Elliott - 2011-02-05 @ 11:00am
    You were the first it appears. She still hasn't heard it, nor will likely till the 14th-ish.
  • oddbod - 2011-02-05 @ 11:08am
    Max, thanks for the vocals - much appreciated. I've downloaded them now. Cheers
  • Christopher Short - 2011-02-05 @ 12:05pm
    Hey, I'm not great at math, but it seems like 3 in 5 means you're ahead of the game. Go get 'em, tiger (:
  • Roy de Smet - 2011-02-05 @ 02:48pm
    Vocals added to 'Big Iron Bird'. Also recorded 'Notebook'. Neglecting my sore throat. I think they're quite good. Up to my 'What's my best song?'-list.
  • lisaolsonmusic - 2011-02-05 @ 03:11pm
    Hey Max! Thanks so much for your kind words... annd, I was just in Amsterdam last weekend- bummer! Cool city. Enjoying your music as well and look forward for what's to come!
  • Christmas Card - 2011-02-05 @ 03:14pm
    thankyou so much max... my first fan in amsterdam :)
  • paulotteson - 2011-02-05 @ 06:18pm
    And watchlisted.. You are having a hell of a FAWM.
  • lisaolsonmusic - 2011-02-05 @ 06:19pm
    eak, you're right! thanks for the note- reworked the melody, re-recorded and posted :) thanks for the invite, I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm there!
  • Flo Paris - 2011-02-06 @ 12:20am
    We're back! Thanks for the note. Starting to listen to everyone's songs today!
  • orinoco - 2011-02-06 @ 06:20am
    Hey Max, Do you remember last year you did a cover of one of my tracks - Done With You? You removed all your files last Feb before I'd got around to downloading it and I'd love to hear it again if you wouldn't mind emailing it to me?
  • mattblick - 2011-02-06 @ 06:58pm
    hi max I just featured you on my blog! http://youngglory.blogspot.com/2011/02/fan-boy-files-1.html
  • orinoco - 2011-02-07 @ 01:08am
    Thanks Max, got it - just as great as I remembered!
  • lieke - 2011-02-07 @ 06:38am
    Wauw Max, bedankt voor je compliment! Tof dat je mijn muziek leuk vindt. En wat ga jij hard zeg! Goed bezig.
  • pacifico - 2011-02-07 @ 09:53am
    Hey there, old man max! Geweldig liedje, al vind ik toch dat hij niet jouw gitaarstijl moet overnemen. Crooked Waits en Old Man Max zijn duidelijk een beetje na-aperitus. Verwacht niet teveel liedjes van mij, want mijn opname-apparatuur is bestaande uit 1 usb-microfoon.
  • expendablefriend - 2011-02-07 @ 04:28pm
    Max, you're making some great songs this year, I'm really digging all the palm-muted stuff you're doing. Getting any blisters down the outside of your hand yet? :)
  • Christopher Short - 2011-02-07 @ 09:39pm
    Hey, listening to "History Repeats" again makes me realize: I'd love to collaborate on a palm-muted masterpiece. If you get a bit of music you can't come up with lyrics for, shoot it my way, would ya?
  • willard cody - 2011-02-08 @ 03:10am
    Man, I'm liking it very much. Glad I signed up!
  • Linzi - 2011-02-08 @ 03:10am
    Go Max! GO MAX! Look at you go, in fact! Well done you. I'm just trying to throw a song together myself. Not easy after such a massive break from writing. WOAAH! :D Keep up the good work.
  • kidd - 2011-02-08 @ 04:29am
    Thanks Max. I appreciate the supportive words!
  • astroboy - 2011-02-08 @ 11:57am
    Cool songs again this year!
  • dftaylor - 2011-02-08 @ 04:01pm
    Dude - I'm on for the effort. Might not make it to 14, but I'll give it a major league shot! Hope you're good.
  • ZeCoop - 2011-02-08 @ 06:26pm
    I saw Luka Bloom and Velvet Underground right as your page loaded and knew I'd found a winner. You've got a lot of good influences up there... Can't wait to listen to some of your songs. Thanks for listening to mine and the kind words. :)
  • sapient - 2011-02-09 @ 03:58pm
    The 17th would be perfect. Shall I get pizzas in? There will be beer. And we'll see what happens...
  • Christmas Card - 2011-02-09 @ 05:53pm
    thankyou so much for all your lovely comments Max - your my fawm motivation :)
  • Christopher Short - 2011-02-10 @ 12:11am
    Songchild is ready!
  • ZeCoop - 2011-02-10 @ 06:33am
    Thanks for checking out my song... yeah, I had every intention of writing and recording another of my dad's but I had the lyrical burst yesterday for this song. I had a nice happy tune for it and everything as I drove home to balance the depressing lyrical tone... only to end up with something completely different. I wasn't going to step in the way of where it was headed on it's own. :)
  • caterwauler - 2011-02-10 @ 11:40am
    Hehe yes, I'm late but here we go again. Hello Max, me and Mojo missed you :)
  • oddbod - 2011-02-10 @ 03:45pm
    Hi, just to let you know, I've re-posted Lets Have A Party On The Cirle Line with backing vocals - http://fawm.org/songs/11313/ Thanks for your help - much appreciated
  • caterwauler - 2011-02-10 @ 06:05pm
    I'm so sorry to hear this Max, I feel sad for you and I can't help remembering how awesome it was to listen to Foppe's song last year with Mojo. It meant a lot to us too, another catcore track! Who can understand catcore except people who make catcore? And I know how important it is to have recordings of our friends' voices. We will have a thought for both of you and even if we never met Foppe, we will remember him thanks to this song. Catcore make them immortal.
  • AXL - 2011-02-11 @ 01:45am
    Thanks for asking. The Bronchitis has been quite besetting. Plus, I'm abroad this weekend, so there will be no possibitlity to record. I guess I'll have to do some catching up when I come back. I hope you're doing much better :-)
  • Ken Ficara - 2011-02-11 @ 08:25am
    Yes it is OK! "Sound sculpture" is a compliment in my book. Have been consumed with work the last few days but can't wait to hear your new stuff.
  • Phil Henry - 2011-02-12 @ 06:38am
    You win!
  • toms - 2011-02-12 @ 11:15am
    Thanks, Max, that is the nicest comment ever. :)
  • attim - 2011-02-12 @ 05:43pm
    Hey, just saw your message from a week ago ... my Dutch is pretty non-existent ! I grew up in London, and my Dad didn't think it was worth teaching me his language ... shame, really. But I can follow the gist of a conversation in Dutch. I like your songs!
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-14 @ 09:27am
    You're the one with the self importance problem. i only just realised you only attacked me because YOU started the recommendation thread. It didn't matter to you what i was saying, just the fact i brought the subject up made you break out in a sweat. Never mind that i like the recommended songs thread and usually make an effort to listen to everything in it, no you have to go and fluff up your own insecure ego by ONCE AGAIN backstabbing me. Well you can fuck right off. And grow up while you're at it.
  • Erik Didriksen - 2011-02-14 @ 12:30pm
    ** hugs **
  • deleted - 2011-02-14 @ 12:43pm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wunv9U4IWk
  • Catherine - 2011-02-14 @ 12:44pm
    i'm a join in the group hug with @erikdidriksen how have i missed your stuff until now?!
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-14 @ 01:58pm
    @max, i never bear a grudge, but if you think that it can never happen, it's on your head. while i never bear a grudge, i am also not stupid either. when somebody criticises me i do not sit down and ignore it. If it turns out to be a misunderstanding then fine. i have yet to see how this was a misunderstanding. if this is the case and you'd care to explain the misunderstanding, let's take it from there, if not, fine, that's it. @charliecheney, i am astonished at you. i genuinely thought you were old enough to know better. How dare you insult me and patronise me on the forums and then imply right here that i am the bad apple! Same goes for you about the grudge/misunderstanding but ffs, it's hard to believe there's any way that you have any other agenda than to just take the piss out of me. I have met quite a few bad apples of that sort in my time, mostly when i was in primary school.
  • L.H.Cisco - 2011-02-14 @ 03:41pm
    Hey dude, thanks for all the kind words on my music. I really appreciate it. Kinda frustrating when you crank out a piece of work and you just get to watch it disappear into the abyss, ya know? Thanks again :) Cheers.
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-14 @ 06:07pm
    I heard your song "I Feel Your Love" on the FAWMcast this afternoon and it reminds me a lot of Billy Idol's "Eyes Without a Face." Your deep voice and the airy chords...... the pop sensibility and writing...... Congrats on getting some airplay and some FAWMlove - totally deserved!
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-15 @ 03:26am
    Max, if you say it's a misunderstanding, i'm willing to talk it through. Sadly you explicitly state that you can't be bothered. Now, since i think your attack on me is perfectly clear for all to see, and since i am not the only one to see it that way, there's nothing more i can do for you. And thanks for the "if you were my son" comment, it's always nice to be talked down to by someone as distinguished as yourself. My door's always open to you, if you ever get off your pedestal.
  • Calum Carlyle - 2011-02-15 @ 05:14am
    two further points, you say that if i misunderstand you the onus is on me to make amends. That is wrong, whichever way you look at it. If i had caused offence to someone inadvertently, the onus would be on me. In this case, you insulted me, and you now claim it was inadvertent. The onus is on you. Secondly, you refer to me as a stranger? Then why did i log into FAWM in January and see you referring to me as a friend on my profile page? you have retroactively branded me a stranger in order to justify distancing yourself from me. When you grow up, get in touch with me, i won't be bearing a grudge.
  • MAX VANREMMERDEN - 2011-02-16 @ 06:46am
    Right ,,,,,,, on to the next song.
  • mojo - 2011-02-16 @ 01:11pm
    *purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr*
  • Carley Baer - 2011-02-16 @ 02:46pm
    Thanks for the advice, Max. I think I will keep the working title. :)
  • Neil - 2011-02-17 @ 07:27am
    No Max - please don't get that idea! I locked it because I wasn't happy with it when I posted it and I've decided to try and do something else to it.
  • marklberry - 2011-02-18 @ 02:04am
    Max, thanks for the note. Using FAWM to push myself through personal challenges. You're rocking with 9 songs amigo. Cheers! MLB
  • sapient - 2011-02-18 @ 03:31pm
    I've been walking round with a big grin on my face all day. I love that song :D And I love what can come from a couple of hours of mucking about with a couple of guitars and some pretend drums. It's amazing!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-18 @ 03:49pm
    Hi Max Love your 5 second songs and 1 minute album. Fun:-)
  • loljosh0106 - 2011-02-19 @ 04:26am
    Thank you so much! That means a lot coming from you!
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-19 @ 08:45am
    Max..yes yes yes!! you are one of the FAWMers I haven't connected with, and really wanted to.I have enjoyed your comments, music and spirit. Have at it! The song is Waiting for Spring
  • The Vinyl Flies - 2011-02-19 @ 05:08pm
    I really like your album covers by the way.
  • AquaMunkee - 2011-02-19 @ 09:52pm
    Hey Max, just wanted to acknowledge your kind words about the song I wrote for my father. I sort of clammed up after posting that one, kind of climbed into a little protective cocoon of sorts, but I'm back now and I think posting that one really helped. I know you understand because of what you have been through as well. It's funny the way people across the world can share such profound emotions without ever meeting, that's the magic of music eh?
  • cts - 2011-02-20 @ 07:29am
    Why thank you, kind sir...it has been nabbed.
  • WinRock Torpedo - 2011-02-20 @ 09:00am
    Max - so nice to hear from you today! You are having such a great FAWM - enjoying your stuff very much and looking forward to more! Cheers! Jim
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-02-20 @ 12:27pm
    Max..really loving Waiting for Spring. Could you get it on the jukebox? I don't know how.
  • Frances - 2011-02-21 @ 07:48pm
    Thanks Max! I'm so excited that you're only two away from winning!!! And thanks for listening. You always make me smile with your comments. I love the thought of you cruising through Amsterdam with my song in your head. :) Nothing cooler than that!
  • Johnny Cashpoint - 2011-02-22 @ 06:35am
    Hey Max - this is a long shot but fancy a short hop across the channel to the London FOP at the end of March? http://fawm.org/forums/thread/2068/#c38042 If not, no problem. I will definitely by in the 'Dam sometime this year and I will make sure it coincides with a Tuesday evening ...
  • gerrybhoy - 2011-02-22 @ 09:54am
    Hi Max, thank you for the comments on catching the drops, it really is credit to the lyrics that there is any performance as there is no rehearsing as such, read the lyric, get the arrangement, sing it through and hit the red button. My thoughts are it's only when the lyric flows and makes sense that it can be pulled off in this way. No substitute for great lyrics!
  • Toronto FAWMily - 2011-02-23 @ 09:20pm
    You'll get it. RAWR!
  • Terrill - 2011-02-24 @ 06:14am
    This is a great set, Max!. Love the thumping palm-muted acoustic vibe you've created - it really injects these tunes with added intensity. I was on the edge of my seat listening to them! That thumping beat also goes well with your dark, rich vocals. I especially like it when you sing in two octaves - that just gives your tunes that much more dimension. Very cool stuff.
  • wolfkier - 2011-02-24 @ 12:56pm
    i'm a fan, wolf
  • lieke - 2011-02-25 @ 03:11pm
    Congrats on your 14! And still 3 days to go...
  • gerrybhoy - 2011-02-25 @ 06:36pm
    Hi Max, thank you.
  • ultravioleteyejeff - 2011-02-26 @ 02:23pm
    Max, here are the songs: http://fawm.org/songs/14817/ http://fawm.org/songs/13815/ Thanks for your interest!
  • PlushBaby - 2011-02-28 @ 11:36pm
    Hey Max, sorry we decided to write out of the bubble...got songs done but not too many demo's, we'll be having a listen to yours once we catch our breath.
  • Tim Fatchen - 2011-03-01 @ 06:40am
    Thank you Max. I finished that with a few minutes to spare, and tried sniping it in (I hadn't thought of your countdown trick!) but our broadband is wobbly so I had to give it 10 seconds to be sure it would log on! But I don't begrudge Max the very last word: especially for your consistent encouragement of so many in FAWM.
  • sapient - 2011-03-01 @ 10:24am
    Oh, and there you go, grabbing the last song... nice one! ;)
  • sherrycanary@Sherry Somach - 2011-03-01 @ 04:31pm
    Max, Thanks again for doing Waiting for Spring. Just started getting comments on it! Hope we can do another next year. If you want to see and hear me, I did a video. If you have a chance, come over to my site and you will see it
  • mojo - 2011-03-02 @ 12:46pm
    *20279 ♥
  • caterwauler - 2011-03-02 @ 01:07pm
    You're welcome. Thank you for making our FAWM special.
  • The Contortionist - 2011-03-03 @ 05:58am
    Wow, thanks! :D
  • mattblick - 2011-03-03 @ 03:49pm
    thanks for the comments Max. It's funny you should say that about Let's Build An Airport as I premiered it at an open mic last night and everyone did ignore me!!! But I think the cause was a really ignorant young band who brought 20 of their fans, ignored all the other performers, went crazy for their band and then left straight after. But still a bit disheartening. So your encouragement was timely. I'll give it a few more tries!
  • Nick Sypniewski - 2011-03-04 @ 09:38pm
    Max, thanks for the comment on Another Face. Glad you liked it. One of the guys in my band listened to it and somehow seemed surprised I could do "crusty old man". Apparently, I need to talk to him more... :-D Thanks again for listening. Much appreciated.
  • natrin - 2011-03-05 @ 11:52am
    thanks ^_^
  • plainwhitetoast - 2011-03-06 @ 05:49am
    Hey- I like what you did with Sweet Memories. I'm going to link your version and add you as a collaborator. :)
  • toms - 2011-03-06 @ 08:11am
    "Two Pints of Lager & a packet of Crisps" is...well, I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, it is great. Thanks for that link. :D Re; Sluggard Lovers (The title is a play on "Sister Lovers" BTW) - there are two songs missing from the Bandcamp version, for what it's worth - George Hates Songs about FAWM and the one I did with Tinam, GhostMonsterZombie. As for the other stuff up there, it's all worthless carp, and I wouldn't waste time on it, but "Chin Waggin' " at least has the virtue of being short. again, thanks for the listens and the really nice comments!
  • Rob from Amersfoort - 2011-03-06 @ 07:11pm
    Hi Max. Thanks for your comment. I am utterly impressed by your output (both qualitatively and quantitatively)!
  • Hannah Busse - 2011-03-07 @ 08:40am
    thanks for your comment on my song Little Dog! I appreciate the listen.
  • Christmas Card - 2011-03-07 @ 11:57pm
    thats so great to hear, thanks for all your support Max :) seeya next year!
  • marklberry - 2011-03-08 @ 12:16am
    Max, Your deep voice and music in the realm of "I Have Tried" would be awesome for my lyrics "Anaphylactic Shock Reaction." Do you feel like a post-February collaboration? My lyrics are all companion songs to chapters from my memoir "Aluminum Parachute." I'm happy to send you the corresponding chapter "Success and Silence" to help inspire you. Also, I wrote "Under the Tiny Bridge" that Billy sea brought to life last year. It's about my proposal under the Magere Brug... yes in Amsterdam. You can hear it at: http://www.pushingleavestowardsthesun.com/tinybridge Cheers! MLB
  • marklberry - 2011-03-08 @ 10:42am
    No worries Max. I hope I didn't stir up too many sore feelings. Your music is great. Keep producing amazing music. Cheers! MLB
  • testthebest - 2011-03-08 @ 12:18pm
    Wow I'm blushing! Thanks so much for all your kind comments and the forum shout out! I actually don't perform just yet, but I'm working on it and maybe someday I'll make it all the way to Amsterdam. In any case, it's good to know that the songs sound okay with just me and the guitar so I can get started already. I especially appreciate your comments because your music is just flat out awesome. So thanks again!
  • jbxl3 - 2011-03-10 @ 07:46pm
    Goodness, where do I start? Thank you for all of your comments, and for taking the time to listen to my music. I'm becoming a big fan of yours the more I listen. I love your rich voice. Very reminiscent of the Leonard Cohen rumble. Full of character. And a late congratulations on a FAWM victory!
  • testthebest - 2011-03-10 @ 08:33pm
    Thank you. Sincerely. Lately I've been realizing that I want to give this thing a shot because I really can't see myself doing anything else. I'm still young enough to take a run at it and I've got to say that your completely unbiased and well-informed opinion helps a lot.
  • ultravioleteyejeff - 2011-03-12 @ 12:04pm
    Max, send your music to: Don Campau PO Box 9162 Santa Rosa CA 95405, he has a long-running radio show in the San Francisco Bay Area called "No Pigeonholes" on KKUP FM. The show is also played on LUV radio in Berkeley and Radio Maribu out of Berlin. Anyone else reading this, send Don your independent music too.